small charge emitted when ignition is turned on?

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
17 Mar 2013 06:00 #577319 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic small charge emitted when ignition is turned on?

richrand wrote: Hey all.

When I set the handlebar ignition switch from off to run i can hear a small pop/click at the caps of the ignition wires. My voltage also drops gradually from ~13 to 12. If the bike has been run, this will cause a small "fffft" sound as (i think anyway) any residual fumes are ignited.

I've got a dyna ignition installed by the PO and dyna coils installed by me. Any ideas why it does this or how I can stop it?

is there any ferrous metal coming in contact with your magnetic pickups?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
19 Mar 2013 18:47 #577728 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic small charge emitted when ignition is turned on?

As you can see the plug makes a spark as soon as a steel screwdriver is set against the magnet on the pickup for the coil.

More
19 Mar 2013 23:56 #577776 by steell

As you can see the plug makes a spark as soon as a steel screwdriver is moved through the magnetic field of the pickup for the coil.

Fixed that for you.

KD9JUR

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
20 Mar 2013 00:14 #577778 by donthaveakawman

steell wrote:

As you can see the plug makes a spark as soon as a steel screwdriver is moved through the magnetic field of the pickup for the coil.

Fixed that for you.

very well. Is there something I missed, is it working?

More
20 Mar 2013 19:45 - 20 Mar 2013 19:46 #577897 by loudhvx
The Dyna S and the factory ignitions are different.

The Dyna S uses a rotating magnet with a Hall sensor.

Factory uses a rotating iron rotor in a static magnetic field with an inductive pickup.

The Dyna S allows current in the spark coils when the engine is not turning. The factory system does not.

So with a Dyna S (or Dyna III), as Steell said, it is normal for a spark to occur when turning the switches to OFF.

If it only backfires when you shut down the motor, then turn the ignition back on and off (without running), then that is normal. If it backfires everytime you shut down the motor, I don't think that is necessarily normal.

Resistor plugs/wires or not, should not really matter.
Last edit: 20 Mar 2013 19:46 by loudhvx.

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
21 Mar 2013 03:18 #577957 by donthaveakawman
OK, I am familiar with a Hall Sensor, if the charge is emitted when the ignition is turned on then maybe the hall sensor is in the wrong spot as it won't be spinning.