Re Voltmeter and Charging

More
15 Jan 2013 16:28 #567495 by Redwitch
Re Voltmeter and Charging was created by Redwitch
Just to say thanks for all your helpful suggestions. I borrowed a multimeter from work and followed the flow chart by Electrosport. I found the fault which was the 6 pin connector block coming from the rectifer/regulator. It was in bad shape on one side when I disconnected it, so i cut it off and rewired each wire with a new bullet connector. Connected the multimeter up to the battery again, started her up and hey presto I am now getting the correct voltage when I rev the engine. Took me all day Sunday as I have never done this before or used a multimeter (which is now on my shopping list to buy). Thing I have learnt is that it's really important to check through all your wiring and clean up connection. Thanks guys!

Original Message read

Hi there,

I think I have an issue with my charging system as my voltmeter needle stays on the 12 volt mark and does not go up with the engine revs. Is there an easy way to tell if it is my alternator at fault or my rectifier/regulator. Battery is brand new and was fully charged before fitting to the bike. Many thanks

Redwitch

1980 Kawasaki Kz750Ltd H1
1988 Honda CD250U

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jan 2013 16:43 #567502 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Re Voltmeter and Charging
Here's good mutimeter instruction:

The Best Mutimeter Tutorial

Doing electrical work on a bike, is not black magic, just taking logical steps, and testing as you go through the troubleshooting charts.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
15 Jan 2013 17:42 - 23 Jan 2013 14:33 #567515 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Re Voltmeter and Charging
There are plenty of choices in regards to a good multimeter. I've been using a VC97 digital unit for about a year (ebbaayyy ~$30). The robotroom tested a number of meters & it was rated as a good one to have.
Last edit: 23 Jan 2013 14:33 by martin_csr.