De-Oxit Analogue?

More
16 Jun 2012 12:30 #529571 by Jonny
De-Oxit Analogue? was created by Jonny
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone out there in Canada has come across an equivalent to De-Oxit, or someplace that sells is in the GreaT White North.

I am in the process doing some cleaning/maintenance, and while I know the best thing for all the connections I can reach is a bit of manual cleaning, everything I've read here seems to suggest that de-oxit is a good alternative for those hard to reach, or sealed places. (Ie; the dreaded ignition switch wiring.)

I was able to track down a somehow affiliated company called Asalco via that CAIG website, but the folks there didn't know what I was talking about. (They did, however know of a really killer contact cleaner that all the auto guy loved, and swore by, but couldn't remember the name, and didn't have any :blink: )

Anyway, I am just hoping to avoid having to drive across the border to niagara falls, ny, just to get a can of something I can get closer to home, and which is technically not something I'm allowed to carry across anyway.

Thanks,

Jonny

'78 KZ 650C2 'Lila'
'71 Norton Commando 750 'Eadie'

St. Catharines, ON (Mostly, anyway...)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2012 14:58 #529603 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic De-Oxit Analogue?
Here's my listing for electrical contact cleaners, whatever you get, make sure it's plastic compatable, as more than a few riders have used brake cleaner, which dissolved/attacked the plastic connectors:

Electrical Contact Cleaner/Preservatives
www.deoxit.com
www.cpcares.com/TAE/puretronics/TAE-5000.html
www.polywater.com/typefd.html
www.lpslabs.com/product_pg/cleaners_pg/ECC.html

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
16 Jun 2012 16:56 #529626 by Humenik
Replied by Humenik on topic De-Oxit Analogue?
deoxit is available in Canada at Parts ConneXion in Burlington.
www.partsconnexion.com/ . I believe they will ship in
Canada if needed. When you call them get good directions as
they are at the back of the building. You can p/u at their
store but phone ahead and they will have it ready when you
get there.

Garry

1976 KZ900 LTD
1984 Honda VF750 F Interceptor
Toronto, Ontario

More
17 Jun 2012 12:04 #529845 by Jonny
Replied by Jonny on topic De-Oxit Analogue?
Thanks guys,

Humenik: I'll head up to Burlington and look around for their shop. Seems they aren't open weekends, but maybe I can get there on a week night if we finish early, or I ride like hell. Thanks for the info, I hadn't found their website.

MFolks: Thanks!, I do not use brake cleaner near anything electrical, or too close to paint either when I can avoid it. I'll try to grab some DeOxit, but I will take a look around localy for some of those others as well. Don't know how I didn't come across that on my latest search, but its good to know.

Cheers

'78 KZ 650C2 'Lila'
'71 Norton Commando 750 'Eadie'

St. Catharines, ON (Mostly, anyway...)

More
19 Jun 2012 00:37 #530255 by Kawboy74
Replied by Kawboy74 on topic De-Oxit Analogue?
Home depot has a little tube of product in the electrical dept. that is used when mating copper to aluminum wire. I coated every connection I made in my wiring harness when I restored my Z1 as I hate tracing problems and wanted no bad circuits. The tube is red and is inexpensive.
Good luck
David

1974 Z1A As original as I could get it
'88 ZX750R braided lines, mostly original
KZ1000 project on the bench
Burlington,Ontario,Canada