Weird...!!!

More
30 May 2012 12:44 #525864 by vintagebiker
Replied by vintagebiker on topic Weird...!!!
The bike actually sounds pretty good. I don't hear a noticable cut in the engine when running. With that much of a gap in the timing light flashes the bike should be popping or noticably running erratic. I don't hear it.

My suggestion is find another timing light.

If all else fails, JUMP!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gearheadmm
  • User
  • MUCH MORE BOOST..........I mean BRAVO
More
30 May 2012 21:24 #525973 by gearheadmm
Replied by gearheadmm on topic Weird...!!!
Dyna systems are prone to problems IF... you don't separate the coil primary and secondary wires by a lot of airspace. Secondary wires (high volt) interfere with primary signal. Or ground shielded secondary wires. Good advice even if you don't have problems. This recommendation from someone at Dyna, owner/tech, can't remember. Looks like you have them separated. Check for constant voltage at the box turn on wire, with a high amp test light (bulb) and a low amp test light (LED). Haven't looked at a Dyna diagram in years. Also make sure your secondary wires are what they recommend. Hope this helps.

General Joeseph Dunford FOR PRESIDENT!!!
69.46.28.106/forum/11-projects/413221-80-kz-1000-st-recycled

More
30 May 2012 21:29 #525976 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Weird...!!!
I'd think if you could twist the primary wires & then put them inside some heatshrink tubing shrunk down, this will reduce the chance of picking up RFI.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
31 May 2012 11:02 #526087 by vintagebiker
Replied by vintagebiker on topic Weird...!!!
I played the video, I don't hear an engine miss or cut out like the light is showing. There should be an audilble cut out or misfire, or even popping back fire or something with that much intermintent flashing of the timing light.
My sugestion is get another timing light.

If all else fails, JUMP!

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
31 May 2012 11:07 #526090 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Weird...!!!

TeK9iNe wrote: New plug wires and good caps and connections all around.

Problem resolved! :P :woohoo: :pinch: :blush:

Thanx for the patience LOL!

B)

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
31 May 2012 12:52 #526108 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Weird...!!!

Patton wrote:

TeK9iNe wrote: ...The wires and plug caps are suppression type. New wires. All caps between 5-6 kohms....

Perhaps irrelevant to the case at hand, but isn't having both suppression wires and resistor caps putting too much resistance in the secondary loop?

:)

Great catch there Patton! Nice! B)

I was under the impression the bike itself was misfiring because Tek9ine said he could hear it. But I think now he meant he could hear the timing light not firing (based on the video, the motor sounds to run fine, but the clicks from the timing light drop out). Is that correct, TeK9iNe ?

Either way glad it's fixed! B)

• TeK9iNe
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
05 Jun 2012 14:12 - 05 Jun 2012 14:14 #527058 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Weird...!!!

loudhvx wrote: I was under the impression the bike itself was misfiring because Tek9ine said he could hear it. But I think now he meant he could hear the timing light not firing (based on the video, the motor sounds to run fine, but the clicks from the timing light drop out). Is that correct, TeK9iNe ?

Either way glad it's fixed! B)

I thought maybe my ears were tricking me into hearing what my eyes were seeing...

Not really... You could hear a weird burble in the motor when the light would seem to go out for more than a few revs. It didnt backfire or pop, just sort went ughhh (hollow air gulp sound) for an instant. I've heard it before -missfire, just slight.

After replacing and cleaning things up, its just a nice bright continuous flash and a smooth purring engine.

Thanx!

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)
Last edit: 05 Jun 2012 14:14 by TeK9iNe.

More
05 Jun 2012 14:49 #527061 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Weird...!!!
This confirms what I've thought about for some years; never have two resistances in the ignition secondary circuit. How would your bike run with no resistance?(It probably would not make friends with people with high end audio equipment).

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)