Laid bike down - Pick-up coil and cover destroyed

More
22 May 2012 15:05 #524049 by dprince10
I'm new here, but I came across this thread from awhile ago and thought you guys were the guys to talk to. Unfortunately, I was unable to see the pictures that retrorider posted, so I could not tell if he had more or less damage than I do.

Last weekend, I laid my 1984 KZ700 down as I was entering onto the freeway. For whatever reason, there were gallons of oil (which I thought was just water until I hit it) spilled on the on-ramp and freeway. Most of the damage was done to the points cover and pick-up coil, as the bike went down on the right side.

Background info: I have owned this bike for 6 years, and I really enjoy riding it. It has nearly 50k miles, but has ran well and is in decent shape. I am in school and getting married soon, and I don't have a lot of money to pour into the bike, but I am also would really like to still have a bike to ride. It would be great if I could keep this bike running until I have a little more money (hopefully in a few years) to look for a new bike.

My questions: Is the bike worth repairing? Can I do it myself? Is it smarter to put in a different engine? Is it smarter to buy a different bike?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2012 15:29 #524053 by Mullineaux
Replied by Mullineaux on topic Laid bike down - Pick-up coil and cover destroyed
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration
Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: Kunena\Forum\Libraries\BBCode\KunenaBBCodeLibrary::renderEbayLayout(): Argument #1 ($ItemID) must be of type int, string given, called in /home/kzride5/public_html/libraries/kunena/src/BBCode/KunenaBBCode.php on line 314. Please enable debug mode for more information.

More
22 May 2012 15:51 #524056 by steell
KZ750 four parts will work on your bike, but not KZ 750 twin parts.

The twins are:
1976-1979 KZ750B
1980 KZ750G
1982 KZ750M
1983 (and 84 in Canada) KZ750K

Avoid all those and the 83-85 GPz750 when looking for parts.

KD9JUR
The following user(s) said Thank You: dprince10

More
23 May 2012 10:10 - 23 Feb 2013 16:11 #524238 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic -
Last edit: 23 Feb 2013 16:11 by martin_csr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dprince10

More
23 May 2012 12:27 #524245 by dprince10
Thanks for all of the help!

Is it critical that, when I replace that cover, I get a good seal? I noticed that there is supposed to be a gasket there, but because of the damage done from sliding on its side, a lot of that metal is not only 'burred' but also ground down. Is the purpose of that gasket just to keep water from getting into that compartment?

More
23 May 2012 12:37 #524247 by ldizzle
There should actually be an open hole on the bottom of that cover as the oil pressure valve is in there...and if it ever blows it has a place to escape.

How are the other seals? My 82 ltd rolled off the stand onto the left side of the bike and I swear i had to replace every loving gasket/oring on the bike after that.

Glad you're alright! Congrats on the marriage! As a newly wed with a couple of motorcycles, I hope you're able to keep yours too =)