my bike problem

More
20 May 2012 21:42 - 22 May 2012 00:26 #523641 by maclin
my bike problem was created by maclin
I have a 1981 kawasaki LTD 1000 all works great but recently i go out to ride and bout 5 min into my ride all shuts off lights engine every thing then bout few min all is well starts up no prob... Now starts up for like two min then shuts off all dead. then wait. and works again whats the prob is it a short some where ????
Last edit: 22 May 2012 00:26 by maclin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2012 21:52 #523643 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic my bike problem
I'd first replace all of the glass tubed fuses. AGX is the size, and most auto parts stores and some boating supply places can get them for you.

Then, open up the right handlebar switch pod, looking for corrosion on the run/stop switch.This is where the ignition coils get the 12 volts.

I'd do this too:

Cleaning Motorcycle Electrics

1. Get some of the De-Oxit electrical contact cleaner and figure on spending a good day going from the front of the bike to the back. It’s a plastic safe cleaner/preservative. www.deoxit.com is their website. Or use any plastic safe electrical contact cleaner(NOT WD-40 !).

2. On the older Kawasaki's, a majority of electrical connectors are inside the headlight housing requiring removal of the headlight, then the fun begins.

3. Do one set of electrical connectors at a time to avoid mixing up what connects to where. Usually disconnecting, spraying with De-Oxit and reconnecting is about all you'll need.

4. However, when encountering the green crud of corrosion, a brass wire brush may be needed on the pins you can reach. Some 400-600 grit wet and dry sandpaper strips rolled into a tube should reach the male and female pins in the more difficult to clean connectors.

5. Smoker’s pipe cleaners, cotton swabs and wooden toothpicks work as cleaning aids.

6. Really small electrical connectors may require the use of a welders tip cleaning tool assortment.

7. Most pins in the connectors are coated with a thin plating of tin, and others may be nothing more than copper or brass.

8. If moisture is added, the resulting corrosion lowers the voltage/current being carried causing dim lights, slow engine cranking, slow turn signal responce and lower input voltage to the ignition coils resulting in weak spark.

9. The left and right handlebar switch pods will need attention too as they have circuit functions like turn, horn, run/stop, and start. The older Kawasaki’s have reports of the soldered connections crumbling, if your bike has this problem, just ask, as I’ve got a repair procedure for this.

10. Usually a spritz or two with actuation of the switch is about all needed for these switches unless corrosion is detected and then careful disassembly is required.

11. The ignition switch may or may be not sealed to allow spraying the internal contacts. I urge caution if attempting to open this up as springs, and ball bearings may fly out never to be seen again!

12. If your bike has the older style glass tubed fuses, I suggest replacing them as vibration can cause internal failure. AGX is the type used, and most auto parts stores can get them for you.

13. Clean the fuse holder clips, looking for signs of overheating(discolored insulation, signs of melting). I use metal polish on a cotton swab, followed by spraying another clean swab with the De-Oxit and then rubbing the inside of the fuse clip.

14. All battery cables must be clean and tight for maximum current transfer. Check the cables going from the Negative(-) battery terminal/post to the engine mounting bolt

15. Also the one going from the Positive(+) terminal to the starter solenoid and from there to the starter motor.

16. If any battery cable feels ”Crunchy” when flexed, replace it as possible corrosion is inside the insulation.

17. Each "Bullet Connector" will have to be sprayed to ensure good connectivity, especially the ones going to the energizing coil of the starter solenoid.

18. The alternator output “Bullet Connectors” are usually behind the engine sprocket cover and will need inspecting and cleaning too.

20. The turn signal light sockets will benefit from a spritz from the contact cleaner along with the tail light/brake light socket.

21. Some brake light switches can be sprayed on the actuating rod, with the spray running down inside to the electrical contacts, others may be sealed requiring replacement if the switch is intermittent in operation.

22. Some people put the Di-Electric Grease on cleaned terminations/connectors, I don’t, as I’ve read/heard it can cause problems when it gets hot, actually insulating the connections, so the choice is yours to use or not.

I think I've covered about all of the electrical systems on the bike.........

“I spent a weekend going through every electrical connection and switch on the bike with a little scotchbrite pad and DeOxit - what a difference! Everything was brighter, gauge backlights, indicator lights, turn signals, I was getting a nicer spark, it fired up quicker, etc. Well worth my time. WELL worth it! “

From a forum member at www.kzrider.com

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
22 May 2012 00:33 #523945 by maclin
Replied by maclin on topic my bike problem
after running for like 2 min bike shut off red 6-pole felt little hot

More
22 May 2012 00:47 #523946 by MFolks
When switches and connectors carry current(Amps), it's normal to feel some heat, but when the smell of burning/melting plastic is detected,further investigation is needed.

1982 GPZ1100 B2

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
22 May 2012 10:07 #523995 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic my bike problem
Look at the main fuse in your fuse panel, and the clips that hold the fuse. Un bolt it and pull the black plastic cover off of the bottom/ back side. Look to see if it is melted, as this is common on this model. You will lose all power to everything if this looses contact.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
30 May 2012 00:30 #525797 by maclin
I ran the bike till it turned off checked fuse box it was hot so opend it up looked in the back but it was coverd in stuff like vaseline so looked at the glass fuses when i touched the main it burnt the sh** out my finger.. some others wher hot but main was crazy hot so now what ? ?

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
30 May 2012 00:57 #525798 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic my bike problem
Check power and ground connections,id say start with ground connections for loose/dirty connections on battery box and engine cases. B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
30 May 2012 01:09 #525801 by MFolks
The previous owner probably covered most of the electrical connectors & fuse holders with Die lectric grease. Some do resemble vaseline. I don't like the stuff as it can get hot and flow into electrical items(switches,fuse holders & connectors) acting more like an insulator.

1982 GPZ1100 B2

More
30 May 2012 01:10 #525802 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic my bike problem
Hot fuse means bad connections right there at the clips. Very, very common. You can polish the fuse clips to a shine then reinstall and hope for the best, otherwise try to increase pressure on the clips to the fuse by using a ziptie or whatever. Best thing to change to a better fuse setup like the modern blade fuses. Other guys have done this and can guide. I do ziptie method myself.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
30 May 2012 01:35 #525807 by MFolks
Fuse And Fuse Holder Designations

1. The older Kawasaki’s use a glass tubed fuse with the designation of AGX 1” long. Most good auto parts stores can get them for you. They are ¼” in diameter.

2. The more common AGC is 1 ¼” long and may not fit the smaller fuse clips. Again, ¼” in diameter.

3. To clean and polish the fuse clips, I use a cotton swab(Q- Tip) and some Brasso metal cleaner or Turtle Wax Chrome Polish. I suppose any good metal polish would work.

4. These fuses can fail internally but look good, only by using a multimeter to check for voltage going through the fuse, or when the fuse is removed for physical inspection for tight end caps & continuity checks,can it be determined if it’s serviceable.

5. Most modern motorcycles are now using the automobile “Blade” style fuse with the designation of ATC or ATO.

6. The reduced sized “Mini” Blade style fuse holder uses the ATM size of fuses.

7. If the fuse and fuse holder overheat, it could soften or anneal the grip of the clip, it might require squeezing the clip to restore the tightness.

8. A list of where to purchase “Blade” style fuses and holders:

www.waytekwire.com order.waytekwire.com/productdetail2/M50/...20%20%20%208%20FUSE/

www.rallylights.com www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=765

www.delcity.net/store/6!way-fuse-blocks/p_10822.a_1

www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Product...ers/fuseholders.html

www.autowiringsolutions.com/item.php?item_id=251&category_id=89 (ATO/ATC Fuse Holder)

9. A source for the glass tubed AGX fuses:
www.boatownerswarehouse.com/browse.cfm/2,4986.html

www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Result.aspx?N...&D=AGX&Dk=1&Dp=3&N=0

1982 GPZ1100 B2

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
30 May 2012 09:57 - 30 May 2012 10:32 #525839 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic my bike problem

maclin wrote: I ran the bike till it turned off checked fuse box it was hot so opend it up looked in the back but it was coverd in stuff like vaseline so looked at the glass fuses when i touched the main it burnt the sh** out my finger.. some others wher hot but main was crazy hot so now what ? ?

As Ron said, heat is from resistance. Take a volt meter, measure at the battery. Leave the black on the negative battery terminal and move the positive along the harness. First stop is each side of the main fuse holder. Look for a voltage drop. If there is one you must fix it, as suggested a new fuse panel with Spade fuses is probably the best way. Used fuse panels are on Feebay. Anyway keep going along, and teat the system at each connection, and across each switch for voltage drop, which will be resistance. Besides connectors, the Ignition switch and the right handlebar Run Switch are two common areas for problems. Both can be removed disassembled and cleaned.
Here is a diagram that should be the same as your bike, it a CSR instead of an LTD, but the wiring is the same.
www.kzrider.com/filebase/doc_download/261-z1000m1

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Last edit: 30 May 2012 10:32 by Motor Head.

More
08 Jun 2012 01:57 #527598 by maclin
put in new fuse in main and all works grate now got to find why fuse went bad talked to previous owner. he said same thang happend to him he changed fuse and it was all good