left coil wont fire!!

More
03 May 2012 01:03 #519492 by Rev
Replied by Rev on topic left coil wont fire!!
Back again! Was laid up in bed with a nasty cold/flu. Here is where I am at now. Have checked primary and secondary on the coil and they are fine. As Patton mentioned I checked to make sure the cables were good. The only issue I found was that the voltage was only 7.8 volts at BOTH coils, and to make sure it was not the reason I hot wired the coils direct to the battery but the coil still would not fire. I have statically checked the dyna s unit and it is functioning properly. Is there something I am missing? I can smell the gas on the plugs so it is getting fuel.
:sick: :angry:

78 kz650, Maxi-dwell, Modified flow through air box, Dyna coils.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2012 01:12 #519493 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic left coil wont fire!!
Only 7.8 volts on the coils is far too low to produce a good spark. I'd go through the run/stop switch on the right handlebar switch pod, looking for crud on the contacts(this is where the coils get the + 12 volts).

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
03 May 2012 01:34 #519500 by Rev
I agree, but the right coil fires up ok with the same voltage. It is the only thing I can see that is out of order.

More
10 May 2012 20:54 #521329 by Rev
well i have found out the problem, my dyna s shorted out and was continually hot, giving a false reading when static checking 2/3 module. Iam having to put the points back on now which leads to another question. Can I still use my 3ohm dyna coils and wires, or do I have to buy new coils as well. My dyna cables dont have any resistors built in but I have some plugs that have built in resistors. would these work or dose it matter?

More
10 May 2012 20:57 #521331 by Rev
I cleaned up my connections and fixed the voltage problem, 12 volts at the coils

More
10 May 2012 23:17 #521381 by Rev
points issue are different so I am going to start a new thread. thanks for the help.

Bill

More
11 May 2012 01:17 - 11 May 2012 01:18 #521439 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic left coil wont fire!!

Rev wrote: ... having to put the points back on now which leads to another question. Can I still use my 3ohm dyna coils and wires, or do I have to buy new coils as well. My dyna cables dont have any resistors built in but I have some plugs that have built in resistors. would these work or dose it matter?

It's perfectly okay to run points ignition with the 3 ohm Dyna coils and Dyna solid core plug wires (with their built-in non-resistor caps).

Just as it's perfectly okay to run a Dyna-S ignition (replacing the stock points ignition) along with the stock coils with the integrated plug wires. Lots of us retained the same stock coils when first changing over from points to Dyna-S.

It's also perfectly okay to toss the stock resistor plug wire caps, and replace them with non-resistor caps.

I enjoy Dyna-S, Dyna 3 ohm green coils, and solid copper core Dyna plug wires.
Absence of any resistance in the high tension loop will interfere with radio reception, if that's of concern.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 11 May 2012 01:18 by Patton.