Electric ign witha phase 1 stator 79kz650 question

More
01 Mar 2012 14:49 #507194 by SCHWACKS
I've read how the dayna s electronic ignition needs more power than my phase 1 stater (two yellow wires) can put out. I have brand new nych cycle coils. New wires, plugs. All connections are good and fresh. Brand new xtreme gel battery. At idle I have almost 12 v. When I get my rpm's up, the battery stays at 12v. What are riders doing to fix this? I've read people going back to points? Or some guys talking about installing the three yellow wire stator? I have my reg/rec inside a fake oil bag? Where it doesn't get any air and heats up! Could this cause it to not work? Also I have my ground from the batt to my frame. Will grounding it to the motor help? All I have is a headlight and a little brake light being powered. I hope all this explains my issue, if more info is needed please let me know! Thank you very much!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Mar 2012 16:07 - 01 Mar 2012 16:13 #507200 by loudhvx
Not in every case. Some 1-phase KZ650's can cope with the Dyna S, but whenever a charging issue comes up on a 78-79 KZ650, often the Dyna S is involved.

One thing to note is that ignitions use slightly less electrical power at higher RPMs (I realize it's counter-intuitive), so even if your charging system is totally dead, the voltage will actually climb a few tenths when the engine is revved. This often tricks people into thinking the charging system is working a little bit.

If you rev it, and it only gets a little above 12v, then there is definitely something wrong. You can go through the tests procedures in the manual to try to narrow down whether it's the stator or the reg/rec. Since your battery only gets to 12v, you may have more than just a weak stator problem.

But if you are running the Dyna S, (your post didn't actually say whether you are using one, or are thinking of using one), you may want to consider a 3-phase conversion. You have to get a 3-phase stator, and 3-phase reg/rec, then add one extra yellow wire from stator to reg/rec. Depending on the reg/rec, you may have to add a brown wire from the harness to the reg/rec as well.

Yes, the reg/rec needs to get some air to it or it will overheat. If you are using the frame as your only ground, that often causes some hard-to-troubleshoot problems. It's far better to run dedicated ground wires to everything, and also connect to frame AND motor for grounds.
Last edit: 01 Mar 2012 16:13 by loudhvx.

More
01 Mar 2012 17:13 #507216 by SCHWACKS
Good input. I am running the electric ign dayna s. I also did research on the coils I bought. It says they are for points setup? Would that make a difference? If I was to purchase the coils from Z1 would that help? And where can I buy the bigger stator conversion? Thanks, paul.

More
01 Mar 2012 17:53 #507222 by loudhvx
Actually, 4-ohm coils for points would save you a little bit of electrical power compared to the 3-ohm coils often used with the Dyna S. Points coils should work fine with the Dyna S, so that is not the problem.

More
01 Mar 2012 18:46 #507238 by SCHWACKS
Ok cool. I'm betting my reg/rec is no good. The po had two on the bike? Can you run two? Does it give more powerr? Also if my reg/rec is over heating, wooust it stop working if it gets to hot?