What potential harm can come from the WG relay mod

More
11 Jan 2012 16:03 - 11 Jan 2012 16:05 #497559 by alexnelson
Just wondering. I noticed (previous owner had done it I guess) a relay mod on the bike I have intermittent cylinder firing problems with. I have yet to rule out fuel system but I'm working on it. I've run into this same issue on two different bikes with four different pairs of coils. Could I be burning out my coils because of the relay mod?

78 KZ650-D1
K&N pods + 4-1 Pipe
Mikuni VM24 - 7.5/115/#4 Clip
Dyna-S
Dyna 3-Ohm Coils
Vancouver BC
Last edit: 11 Jan 2012 16:05 by alexnelson.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2012 16:18 - 11 Jan 2012 16:59 #497561 by Patton

alexnelson wrote: Just wondering. I noticed (previous owner had done it I guess) a relay mod on the bike I have intermittent cylinder firing problems with. I have yet to rule out fuel system but I'm working on it. I've run into this same issue on two different bikes with four different pairs of coils. Could I be burning out my coils because of the relay mod?

As known, intermittent cylinder firing may result from other conditions besides insufficient voltage being received at the ignition coils.

If the relay mod is incorrectly wired so that the ignition coils continuously receive battery voltage regardless of whether the ignition is switched OFF, then Yes, could be burning out coils because of the relay mod.

The main longer term problem about using the coil mod is that whatever oem wiring and/or connector issues are causing the drop in voltage between the battery and coil will only get worse.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Jan 2012 16:59 by Patton.

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
11 Jan 2012 16:24 #497563 by DoubleDub

Patton wrote: The main longer term problem about using the coil mod is that whatever oem wiring and/or connector issues are causing the drop in voltage between the battery and coil will only get worse.

THANK YOU! ;)

More
11 Jan 2012 17:03 #497575 by alexnelson
Thanks, Patton. Fast and informative, as usual.

78 KZ650-D1
K&N pods + 4-1 Pipe
Mikuni VM24 - 7.5/115/#4 Clip
Dyna-S
Dyna 3-Ohm Coils
Vancouver BC

More
11 Jan 2012 17:13 #497578 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic What potential harm can come from the WG relay mod

alexnelson wrote: Just wondering. I noticed (previous owner had done it I guess) a relay mod on the bike I have intermittent cylinder firing problems with. I have yet to rule out fuel system but I'm working on it. I've run into this same issue on two different bikes with four different pairs of coils. Could I be burning out my coils because of the relay mod?

No, but your coils may be failing and the mod is simply masking the real problem for a brief period of time.

1979 KZ-750 Twin