dayna ignition

More
25 Dec 2011 13:20 #494625 by SCHWACKS
dayna ignition was created by SCHWACKS
i need some help. im wiring my bike. a simple chopper wire job. coming off my dayna ignition switch is 2 red wires, 1 black wire, 1 white wire and a random blue wire? and then coming off my (brand new) coils are 1 black and one yellow wire. can someone help me get going from this point. Im running a headlight, tail light. a on/off switch and a push button start. Thank you very much and um Merry Christmas!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Dec 2011 14:42 - 25 Dec 2011 14:50 #494635 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic dayna ignition
Would help if we new exactly what model KZ and Dyna-S you're using... ;)
Based on conductor colors assuming DynaS-2 series I.E...

NOTE: Confirm with your Dyna wiring diagram the conductor coloring.... Or post the diagram provided and we should be able to help you out... ;)

On the KZ650 for example, I.E. Plate is grounded through frame...

Blue is the oil pressure switch.

Red is +12Vdc (Battery red/yellow conductor switched (after ignition switch))... Best to solder versus using butt splice provided.

Black in other Dyna-S wiring diagrams go to cylinder 1/4 coil.
White goes to 2/3 coil...

OMR

via WPBill.... ;) Maybe someone has a larger image of this...

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Dec 2011 14:50 by Old Man Rock.

More
25 Dec 2011 16:13 #494643 by SCHWACKS
Replied by SCHWACKS on topic dayna ignition
i have a kz650 b the dayna ignition is electric. i dont have the model number

More
25 Dec 2011 16:30 #494645 by SCHWACKS
heres two pics of what im working with. thank you
Attachments:

More
25 Dec 2011 16:40 #494647 by SCHWACKS
also i have the coil on the left hooked to the 1&4 plug and coil on the right to the 2&3 plug? looks like my manual as left coil to 1&2 plug and right coil to the 2&3?

More
25 Dec 2011 17:12 - 25 Dec 2011 17:14 #494650 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic dayna ignition

SCHWACKS wrote: also i have the coil on the left hooked to the 1&4 plug and coil on the right to the 2&3 plug? looks like my manual as left coil to 1&2 plug and right coil to the 2&3?

coil on the left hooked to the 1&4 plug and coil on the right to the 2&3 plug

Bike has two ignition coils, one of which fires 1&4 spark plugs, and the other fires 2&3 spark plugs.

Large Kaw fours typically mount the coil firing 1&4 spark plugs on left side of frame (shift lever side); and the other coil firing 2&3 spark plugs on right side of frame (foot brake pedal side).

Smaller Kaw fours typically use the reverse coil mounting positions.

But the mounting position really doesn't matter, as neither is superior to the missionary position.

What's really important is that the signal wire from the left side (a/k/a rear or 9 o'clock) pickup module attaches to whichever ignition coil is firing the two outside spark plugs #1&4.

And that the signal wire from the right side (a/k/a forward or 3 o'clock) pickup module attaches to whichever ignition coil is firing the two inside spark plugs #2&3.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 25 Dec 2011 17:14 by Patton.

More
26 Dec 2011 12:11 #494713 by SCHWACKS
Many thank you's!!!

More
26 Dec 2011 12:26 #494716 by SCHWACKS
Sorry another question. So the two red wires of the ignition go to the yellow wires off the coils?

More
26 Dec 2011 13:14 - 26 Dec 2011 13:17 #494718 by Patton

SCHWACKS wrote: Sorry another question. So the two red wires of the ignition go to the yellow wires off the coils?

Very possibly.

The ignition pictured looks different than a Dyna-S. Perhaps it's an earlier model Dyna or some other brand.

Anyhow, am reasonably sure that in order to function, the pick-up modules need battery positive voltage, usually supplied when the keyed ignition switch is in the ON position, commonly referred to as "switched battery positive."

Dyna-S has a red power wire and a black signal wire and a green signal wire ( plus a blue oil pressure sender wire on KZ650).
The red power wire is spliced or plugged in somewhere into the bike's harness to provide switched battery positive to its modules.
The wire (typically green) from the 3 o'clock module is a signal wire that attaches to whichever coil fires inside spark plugs #2/3.
The wire (typically black) from the 9 o'clock module is a signal wire that attaches to whichever coil fires outside spark plugs #1/4.

The ignition at hand may have a separate red switched battery power wire to each pick-up module.

A common source used to spice into for providing switched battery positive to the pick-up modules is the bike's harness wire (ofter red or red/yellow) that's furnishing switched battery power to the ignition coils.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 26 Dec 2011 13:17 by Patton.

More
26 Dec 2011 13:22 - 26 Dec 2011 13:22 #494720 by Patton
Some electronic ignitions, including some Dyna brand ignitions, also include a separate "box" used in conjunction with the pick-up modules.

The "box" may be found mounted underneath one of the bike's side covers.

Where the ignition incorporates such a "box," the wiring is different, and slightly more complex.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 26 Dec 2011 13:22 by Patton.

More
26 Dec 2011 17:06 #494749 by SCHWACKS
So heres the dayna s i have. One red, one white coming from the 9'oclock module. and one red, one black wire coiming from the 3'oclock module? and a single blue wire coming from behind. no green?
Attachments:

More
26 Dec 2011 18:35 - 26 Dec 2011 18:37 #494756 by Patton

SCHWACKS wrote: So heres the dayna s i have. One red, one white coming from the 9'oclock module. and one red, one black wire coiming from the 3'oclock module? and a single blue wire coming from behind. no green?

With the color scheme at hand:

Red wire splices or plugs into any bike harness wire that supplies switched battery positive. Whereby switched battery positive is furnished from the bike harness wire to the Dyna-S modules;

White wire from the 9 o'clock Dyna-S module attaches to a primary terminal on whichever ignition coil is firing the two outside spark plugs #1&4;

Black wire from the 3 o'clock Dyna-S module attaches to a primary terminal on whichever ignition coil is firing the two inside spark plugs #2&3;

Blue wire attaches to the oil pressure sending unit.

There are only the four wires (red, white, black and blue), so forget about a "missing" green wire.

Dyna-S sometimes puts a green "collar" on a black wire from the 3 o'clock pick-up module, and calls it the "green" wire. And perhaps put a black collar on a white wire from the 9 o'clock module, and calls it the "black" wire. Go figure. :huh:

Be careful to install the Dyna-S rotor correctly, and not 180 degrees out.
The small pencil-eraser-size magnet embedded in the rotor should be facing toward the 9 o'clock module as the 1/4 F mark aligns with the permanent timing mark on the engine case as seen through the timing inspection window.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 26 Dec 2011 18:37 by Patton.