electrical issues: flashing stop lamp indicator

More
29 Nov 2011 16:41 #490677 by randomMX
Hello KZR, love this forum, just got a 78 kz650 a little while back in running condition. Then The stop lamp indicator lamp kept flashing, but I ignored it b/c the bike was still running and brake lights were working,

Theory 1: figured it had something to do with the front brake line being seperated??? I had taken the top half off to measure and order new universal line/fittings, put new universal master cylinder on it. Noticed flashing after this. Also noticed two electrical plugs to the brake switch, (have a new two prong on the univ. can I wire to there?) Are the brake hoses grounded??

Ok so then went on a ride and now the key will not work, no indicator lights come on, nothing, battery full 12 volts.

Also NOT sure whether its a 78 D1 or 78 B2 or C2. The vin says KZ650DE00---...so is that a D? or am I wrong?

Don't know where to go from here, Thanks for your time KZR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Nov 2011 19:05 #490690 by MFolks
I'd check the tail light as it's part of the brake light, the running light filiment may be broken. I believe an #1157 bulb goes there.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
29 Nov 2011 20:05 - 29 Nov 2011 20:07 #490699 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic electrical issues: flashing stop lamp indicator
The circuit that turns on the "stop" indicator light on the instrument panel also makes it flash whenever the brake light filament blows out. It's a dual filament bulb, the brake light is the high wattage filament so it always blows out first.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 29 Nov 2011 20:07 by bountyhunter.

More
29 Nov 2011 20:33 #490704 by randomMX
ok, I checked the rear bulb, its working. In messing around with the starter solenoid, checking grounds ect. i saw it was not working, jumped the gap, starter ran, so I figured that it was the solenoid.
Then checking the ignition switch had a few good grounds for both on and off positions, and the third(I have no idea what the third is?)
Then I half took apart the starter solenoid, the lead bolts and two small screws, and decided to wait until later to try to rip that apart, replaced screws and bolts, and everything was good, all indicator lights were good, brake light was good (pressed rear lever and brightened) and starter button worked again.
So I was happy, then in putting the gas tank back, droped it on and lost connection. Removed, then I was back at square 1.
No Idea what the hell happened, random

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
29 Nov 2011 23:13 #490755 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic electrical issues: flashing stop lamp indicator
Two wires up at your Front Master Cylinders brake switch, those should be able to hook up to the Two prongs on your universal switch. It just completes the circuit when brake is applied.
Since you gained power again when working on the solenoid, I would look there or near there. The Big calbes on the Solenoid that you jumped, are for the starter motor, only. The bikes electrical runs through a smaller, 1o gauge wire from the Positive post of the battery to the fuse panel,at the Main Fuse,Then up to the ignition switch then back to the fuse panel.
Your Positive feed from this 10 gauge probably comes off of the Solenoid post where the battery cable connects. Anyway trace from the positive post on the feed wire, usually a Red/ White wire, over to and through the main fuse. There are a couple of connectors under the tank, that could be loose, or dirty.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
30 Nov 2011 01:16 #490775 by randomMX
OK sounds good, and to correct my self ots the starter relay, not the solenoid by the starter, either way.
Would either of the brake failure sensor or switch interupt the power?

More
30 Nov 2011 02:17 #490785 by Patton

Usually located over the rear fender under the seat.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
30 Nov 2011 18:17 #490859 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic electrical issues: flashing stop lamp indicator

randomMX wrote: ok, I checked the rear bulb, its working. In messing around with the starter solenoid, checking grounds ect. i saw it was not working, jumped the gap, starter ran, so I figured that it was the solenoid.
Then checking the ignition switch had a few good grounds for both on and off positions, and the third(I have no idea what the third is?)

parking lights

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
01 Dec 2011 13:06 #490970 by randomMX
Already spent two hours following wires, checking connectivity, but im not sure if im wasting my time w/o spliting the harnes open to check ALL possible connections/splices that may be connected? Or is it semi-safe to assume a wire goes in and comes out un-molested?

Is there a simpler way than checking resistance everywhere?

More
01 Dec 2011 17:35 - 18 Feb 2013 18:35 #490997 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic -
Last edit: 18 Feb 2013 18:35 by martin_csr.

More
14 Dec 2011 00:02 #493036 by randomMX
Could not find a troubleshooting procedure, anyone have a web link? Does anyone know if the starter relay can go? this was one of two things that i messed with where it worked breifly. Im at the point of stripping every god dam wire and re-doing the bike, its frustrating.

More
09 Jan 2012 00:56 #497168 by DiamondSkyBlue1000
Replied by DiamondSkyBlue1000 on topic electrical issues: flashing stop lamp indicator
Did you figure this out? This thread is kinda all over the place.