surprise, i was about to install a Dyna S and ..

• supereightmm
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Nov 2011 19:49 #488091 by supereightmm
Replied by supereightmm on topic surprise, i was about to install a Dyna S and ..
Hi , well im doing as told , the old pick up is in a ziplock bag now , i hope i can get something for it on ebay ? you never know .

i have a few questions regarding the coils .

i have mounted them are quite close to the engine top , also the wires come to close to it also , is that a problem ? also should i keep a separation between the coil and the frame , now with the spacers i had and the screws is right against the frame ..

is there a lengh of cable between the coils and the spark plugs i should consider or the shorter the better ?

Attachment mountedcoils.JPG not found

then last question , im making a new wiring loom , on the green DYNA coils , there are 2 contacts one for the yellow and red cable that goes to both and then another one for the black or Green cable , correct , my question is does it matter if its the top or the bottom screw that i use ?

thanks a lot for all the feedback so far !

cheers

ill keep you posted with the outcome , im sure ill mess up the wiring and will come back with questions..
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Nov 2011 20:20 #488093 by Patton

supereightmm wrote: ... on the green DYNA coils , there are 2 contacts one for the yellow and red cable that goes to both and then another one for the black or Green cable , correct , my question is does it matter if its the top or the bottom screw that i use ? ....

It doesn't matter, because the primary winding terminals aren't polar.

Would assure the screw heads don't short out against the coil mounting spacer.

Good Fortune!

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
12 Nov 2011 02:49 - 30 Jan 2012 02:52 #488132 by WICKEDKZ
Last edit: 30 Jan 2012 02:52 by WICKEDKZ.

More
12 Nov 2011 12:57 #488175 by loudhvx

Patton wrote: Would assure the screw heads don't short out against the coil mounting spacer.

This is very important. There needs to be at least a 1/16th inch gap, but 1/8th is better. If it's too close, it can short out from vibration.

• supereightmm
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Nov 2011 17:54 #488208 by supereightmm
Replied by supereightmm on topic surprise, i was about to install a Dyna S and ..
thanks a lot , ill keep you posted !

More
12 Nov 2011 18:36 #488217 by MFolks
Put a small dab of the clear silicone bathtub caulk on the screws. This will help in vibration resistance and moisture exclusion. It's easy to remove by hand.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
12 Nov 2011 18:45 #488218 by Patton
Another option is nylon tie-wraps around the mounting spacers.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

• supereightmm
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Apr 2012 17:25 #513835 by supereightmm
Hello , i just posted another reply about this matter in another thread , can i mount the coils sideways ? with the cable holders facing outside or inclined ?

More
03 Apr 2012 21:09 - 03 Apr 2012 21:16 #513878 by Patton

supereightmm wrote: Hello , i just posted another reply about this matter in another thread , can i mount the coils sideways ? with the cable holders facing outside or inclined ?

Mount the coils in any manner desired. Hang them with a rubber band from the foot pegs if desired, or hidden inside a tank bag. :lol:

The point is that the coil may be suspended in mid-air and work just fine, so long as the plug wires and primary wires are correctly attached. It is not necessary that the coil body be "grounded" in any fashion to the frame or otherwise.

However, I happily defer to loudhvx:

loudhvx wrote: The coils can be mounted any way, but if the wires stick out sideways, they might hit the tank, so make sure to check.

The coils can use any type of spacer to set it away from the frame, but there should be steel bolts mounting the coils to the frame in order to complete the magnetic path for the coil's core. That type of coil has an open-loop core, and the frame and bolts closes it.

It will still work without a closed loop, but the inductance of the coils is reduced so there will be slightly less spark energy.

That extra brown wire on the reg/rec is critical. It must get battery voltage anytime the bike is running. You may be able to tap off from some switched, 12v source at the ignition switch.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 03 Apr 2012 21:16 by Patton.

More
03 Apr 2012 23:04 - 03 Apr 2012 23:08 #513893 by loudhvx
It's not a huge difference in inductance, but definitely measurable.

That is why many types of coils actually look like a transformer with a closed-core going around the coil, whereas most of our motrcycle coils don't. But that is because with the normal method of mounting the coils, the frame completes the core's loop.

Here's an example of a closed-loop core.

You generally only see this on very low-impedance coils, where the charge time is very closely monitored, and the system is designed for a narrow range of inductance values.

Our systems are a lot more forgiving and have much more room for tolerances.
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Apr 2012 23:08 by loudhvx.

• supereightmm
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Apr 2012 15:17 #514413 by supereightmm
thanks ill keep you posted of how it goes ...

• supereightmm
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 May 2012 16:12 #524552 by supereightmm
Hello hello everyone ..

so .. after a long time , i finally ( with the help of a good friend) finished the complete new wiring of my Z650 , i took all your advice on putting the coils * all dyna s ) and electronic ignition

ok so here i have some questions .

i put fuel to the bike and it ran in the second turn , some black smoke , lots of noise .. nice ...

i want to see how i put the electronic ignition on the right mark .. can you tell me how i can do that with our a timing pistol , i did buy a little timing devise from ebay , that i have to plug to the ground and then to the ........ there im lost
so how do i know when to advance or retard the position of the electronic ignition ?

then another thing .. is it normal that the coils get very warm ? the metal plates where quite warm even a few hrs after i had stopped the bike .. or could i be shorting them ?

well and last but not least a few tips of how to fine tune the bike after replacing the ignition , the coils and removing the stock airfilters and adding pods ( bought them from APE ) .

thanks in advance .. here some quick snapshots of the bike as it was today .
Attachments: