surprise, i was about to install a Dyna S and ..

• supereightmm
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Nov 2011 15:54 #487630 by supereightmm
Hi ,

i ordered a new dyna S from the US for my Z 650 ( i live in Barcelona ) and when i opened the cover i found this !! , i believe its an electrical ignition module of some sort ? or is it ment to be like that ? , i have a kz 400 and i have the condenser and points there .. could you give me a hand to sort out what kind of ignition module is this , i will take this out and install the dyna S and the green coils anyway , but if this is an ignition

Attachment electronic1gnition.JPG not found

, could i use it for a Kz 400 for instance ?

thanks a lot in advance .
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Nov 2011 16:00 #487631 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic surprise, i was about to install a Dyna S and ..
I have never seen one of those, but it looks like some kind magnetic sensor setup for an electronic ignition.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
08 Nov 2011 16:56 #487639 by Equinoxe
I can't identify this one, it has an odd configuration: the single pickup coil is unfamiliar, the electronic ignitions I know have two pickup coils (Boyer, Dyna .. and original one (btw Newtronic is optical, doesn't work with a coil ;) )).
Could you also post a picture of the CDI unit itself?

*intrigued*

Thanks,

EqX

KZ650 F2 1981

• supereightmm
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Nov 2011 17:22 #487649 by supereightmm
Replied by supereightmm on topic surprise, i was about to install a Dyna S and ..
Hi , i will take a pic tomorrow , its a very large box !! , dunno , i think i will have to remove it also and keep the original CDI only for the DYNA s no ? , i hope im not getting in to a lot of trouble ... :(

thanks for the reply

cheers

More
08 Nov 2011 17:44 - 08 Nov 2011 17:47 #487654 by Equinoxe
Any change in an electric system as old as our 30+ year old ladies have will be some trouble.
Don't expect to put something in and have it working right the first time, especially old cables can snap without you noticing it
(I had this with the engine stop switch cable, a small piece of insulation had a tiny cut, and after years of corrosion the wire snapped because I handled/moved it, not visible to the eye, and causing strange errors and failings, took me two days to find it!)

(For installing the dyno you'll need to replace the:
-pick-up coils *
-CDI *
-ignition coils
*since the original CDI is a small metallic box (the size of the regulator) I doubt your's is original, besides the dual pickup coils from the Dyna S probably won't work with this single pickup-coil setup.

Changing the (complete) ignition system not a LOT of trouble (but expensive), without complications you can do it in an afternoon (with testing and tuning).
(don't get scared by by anecdote (better to happen while you are in a warm shed with tools in your hand than in the freezing dark on some remote road ;) )

At this point you have an undocumented unknown ignition system which you can't test, and have no instructions on how to tune (properly), so before proceeding (and buying an expensive Dyna S), first look what you have got, you maybe already have a good ignition system without realizing it!
The CDI will probably have markings we could recognize.

Regards,

EqX

KZ650 F2 1981
Last edit: 08 Nov 2011 17:47 by Equinoxe.

• supereightmm
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Nov 2011 18:26 #487659 by supereightmm
Replied by supereightmm on topic surprise, i was about to install a Dyna S and ..
Lets hope someone can recognize the cdi . electronic nightmare i have , i have allready bought the DYNA S , the green coils and the Dyna cables , the one thing i did not count on was to replace the CDI , if i have to replace it , can some one tell me if there is an affordable one or where i could buy it online , my most educated guess after seeing the wire mess i have on the bike is that ill have to rewire the thing completely and have no idea .... :( but , as they say , you learn from falling and getting up no ?

i would appreciate any help or leads from you guys , ill send pics tomorrow , hopefully we can get somewhere with them ..

cheers and thanks

More
08 Nov 2011 18:28 - 13 Feb 2012 17:55 #487660 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic .

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.
Last edit: 13 Feb 2012 17:55 by KZ250LTD.

More
08 Nov 2011 21:09 #487681 by rstnick
That sure is a different system you've got there.
Never seen one.
I see the cam's got two lobes to fire 180 degrees off of each other.

The Dyna S does not use a separate "CDI" box, it's an all in one system (everythings on the mounting plate). You will just need to tie into the green and black wires that run to the coils, a switched power supply (usually a red wire), and a wire (blue/red) for the oil pressure switch which is behind, and at 6 o'clock, the ignition mounting plate/s.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
08 Nov 2011 21:15 - 08 Nov 2011 21:22 #487682 by loudhvx
That looks to me like a Chrysler pickup mounted to a custom made plate. With only one pickup, there is no way to discern which pair of cylinders is at TDC, so it likely just fires all four cylinders at once. I suppose there could be another sensor somewhere else to identify cam position etc., but seems unlikely.

I believe it could be used successfully on a KZ400 twin, but you'd have to file off one of the points on the rotor.

It is not a module, but just a pickup. You could probably mate it with a 4-pin HEI module pretty easily. It may take some work to get it working, but it will be better than a Dyna S (more efficient, won't use power with motor not turning).

You can use a Dyna S on a KZ400, but you may have to modify the plate a little, and you only need to use one of the itegrated pickup/module on a Dyna S from a four cylinder model. People on the twins forum have doneit successfully.
Last edit: 08 Nov 2011 21:22 by loudhvx.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
08 Nov 2011 21:21 #487684 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic surprise, i was about to install a Dyna S and ..
It has not only the look, that is the Distributor Pick up off of a Chrysler. If it posts a picture of the Module Box, It will most likely be also. If you look at the end of the crank, there are two raised lobes for trigger. Depending on the year/ Model of those Mopar parts, then you would find out the Advance #'s. Some Mopar Guy used to own that bike. Probably cost him nothing to put those on there.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
08 Nov 2011 21:27 #487685 by loudhvx

Motor Head wrote: It has not only the look, that is the Distributor Pick up off of a Chrysler. If it posts a picture of the Module Box, It will most likely be also. If you look at the end of the crank, there are two raised lobes for trigger. Depending on the year/ Model of those Mopar parts, then you would find out the Advance #'s. Some Mopar Guy used to own that bike. Probably cost him nothing to put those on there.

I agree. I actually have some of those pickups in a box somewhere to install on a bike. The problem with the Chrysler modules is that they are just too huge, and you'd need two of them. I'm pretty sure they would work well with a HEI modules which are much smaller.

The only thing is, where did the rotor come from. I guess it must have come from a 4-cyl Mopar of some sort (with a distributor), but I didn't think they ran those ignitions. I thought the 4-cyl Mopars were actually Mitsubishi motors.

More
08 Nov 2011 21:31 #487686 by loudhvx
And by the way... none of the above ignitions are CDI. CDI was used on the two-stroke Kaws, but not on the KZ's. All of the above are transistorized Kettering ignitions.