Wiring loom mess

More
28 Oct 2011 21:55 #485842 by richw
Wiring loom mess was created by richw
Hi, I bought a bike. Its wiring is all over the joint..seems intact but I've no idea what goes where as I've never wired anything. The model is uncertain.. it reads KZ750p 1984 which doesn't seem to have a manual- the frame says H1 - but the compliance plate - k750p. I'm thinking it might be a 1984 KZ750 gt ltd shaft. It has the square eighties headlight- and taillight - long boxy tank- flatter seat.
Ive ordered a 1980-84 shaft manual
I have some wiring diagrams for basics but am unsure as to whether start from scratch and try to wire a simplified loom or if there's enough there for me to hook her back up. I'd love to get her turning over before ripping her down completely.

questions-

to loom or not to loom

is there a website which will walk me through the wiring

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Oct 2011 23:16 #485852 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Wiring loom mess
Have you tried U-Tube for motorcycle wiring? There are videos of the very reliable heatshrinkable splices that come in two types; The first requires a crimping tool and then the splice is shrunk dowm with a heat gun, and the other type has a built in solder pellet that melts when the heatshrink is heated, securing the wires and sealing the joint from corrosion.

Wiring repair or even loom/harness repair is something not to be rushed,it needs a place to work(a garage works best) that's well lit, not too hot or cold and where tools can be secured.

If you need a listing of supplies,tools & electrical connectors I have them, just ask...

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
29 Oct 2011 05:17 #485867 by richw
Replied by richw on topic Wiring loom mess
thanks man...Yeah im set up with a workshop tools etc. I've stripped off the harness wrap- connected everything I can see to connect
what now

I'd like to rig up the ignition- ignitor - battery whatever else to just turn her over
anyone got a suggestion of whee to start and what order- what do I need to do to get spark?

how do isolate the wires that control spark and what needs to be on that circuit in what order
Attachments:

• clutch
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
29 Oct 2011 06:16 #485869 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic Wiring loom mess
This may help. If you scroll to the very bottom, it has a reference for frame numbers and models.

www.metrovationinc.com/christemple/KZ750.pdf

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

More
29 Oct 2011 09:41 #485876 by richw
Replied by richw on topic Wiring loom mess
thnks heaps