Ballistic Battery opinions/thoughts?

More
28 Oct 2011 03:19 #485744 by dutchz
Replied by dutchz on topic Ballistic Battery opinions/thoughts?
Seems to be working just fine on my 74 Z1. I had a hayabusa gel battery under the hump of the seat before and you can sure tell the difference of all that weight being moved (in the worst possible spot - up high and behind you), when you are throwing the bike on its ear, and then the other way. On a stock bike in the stock location, I don't know how much it matters.

What I can say after 4 months of use:
1) It did not catch on fire
2) It does not go flat, even after sitting for over a month
3) An 8 cell cranks my motor over quicker than the gel battery
4) It weighs 1/10 of stock battery

I have not trickle charged it nor has the battery seemed to care. I have a combo reg/rec off some kinda ninja instead of the stock separate reg/rec installed, and I have rewired the bike from scratch a few years ago.

So far I'm impressed. If it craps out in a year I'll happily buy another. It's worth it not having that boat anchor tied to my ass.

1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
28 Oct 2011 10:27 #485770 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Ballistic Battery opinions/thoughts?
This is what makes the Forum so great, we have several opinions, and so far 1 user of the battery in question. All great Info. I can see where the light weight would be nice. But unless you really need that weight loss from your Battery, personally I would have to get at least 3 years of service to consider the extra expense. If they can survive that long, then I would see about the upgrade on the Concours I bought. It could go on a Diet For Sure.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
08 Nov 2011 12:42 #487593 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Ballistic Battery opinions/thoughts?
I changed out a std. YB14 gel matt battery for 2 X 16 cell Turn Tech batteries to reinstall electric start w/ 24 volts to a 14.5 -1 1500cc. .500 lift cams motor. Fits in exactly the same footprint as the old YB14 & still weighs less than 10lb., no way I was going to add another 10 lb. std. battery. 20 lbs. is 1/10th in the 1/4 on a bike .

TurnTech, specifically Joe Turner, helped me quite a bit with this project and have recently lowered list prices to be competitive with Shorai and Ballistic. www.turntechbattery.com

79 KZ 1075 MKll
79 KZ 1500 MKll dragbike
Gone but not forgotten:
3 X 73 Z1's
1 X 74 Z1A
1 X 75 Z1B