Anyone have this happen?

More
20 Oct 2011 02:40 #484252 by mac0239
Anyone have this happen? was created by mac0239
Been searching thru the forums and looked thru shop manual, even chatted with my local bike shops about it and they scratch their head.

Curious with all the experience and knowledge that dwells on this site if anyone can throw me some ideas of what might be.

My bike ( 79 KZ1000st )with 22,000miles on it has been losing power intermittently.

You will be riding along and suddenly it feels like 2 or 3 cylinders shut off and bike barely can do 30-40 mph and won't idle. Then whether you pull over or stop or try and keep riding it fires back up in anywhere from 10 seconds to several minutes of this near engine stall out.
It feel like electrical problem but could it be carbs? It can't be heat as I am in Canada and am riding in really cool temps 50 to 70f these days.

Here is some history on bike to maybe help me figure this one out.

Bike has been redone quite a bit this year.
Had carb completely taken apart and cleaned/ synchronized in spring and about 2000 miles ago.
Had cylinder bored to 1075c and put in big bore wiseco pistons etc.
New valve seals and valve seats re-cut ( 3 angle cut)
has new K&N filter, new plugs, and oil changed often.
My original coils had lots of big cracks so replaced with Dyna DC1 3 ohm coils (green ones).
Put on a Vance/Hines Megaphone 4/1 exhaust.

This weird stalling out/sudden power loss issues didn't start right away after any of the work but just did over the last month. Bike runs incredible when this isn't happening. It is a rocket that runs like a dream and sounds like one too, then just randomly now and then it will do this. It feels like someone pulled a couple plug wires off while you were driving then after a minute or so they stick them back on.

My guess at first was loose wires? all new plug wires are perfect and tight. My coils were good too but i wondered if too close to engine so i drilled new holes in brackets and moved them up all I could away from valve covers, didn't solve problem. Bike does not have points and has electronic ignition, could it be the culprit?
Plugs are good and only have a trace of white since I think bike is running a tad lean since I put the K&N filter and 4/1 exhaust.
Or the coils? anyone hear of new Dyna coils suddenly shutting down?
At a loss here, anyone ever hear of this kind of shit happening?
Any tests anyone can think of I can do to figure this one out.
I have the full real Shop manual for bike but sadly it doesn't know either.

thoughts anyone???

Green 79' KZ1000st engine-1075 Wiseco kit, k&n pods, dyna ig & coils, and very old Kerker 4 into 1 pipes
Other project- orig Red 79' KZ1000st engine-stock so far with mystery black 4/1 header TBD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2011 03:06 #484254 by aek
Replied by aek on topic Anyone have this happen?
I'd be tempted to look in the area of the megaphone for an intermittent blockage! Sounds unlikely I know. Your picture looks North of Edmonton - a long way off?
Regards, Art

1980 750-4 LTD original owner

More
20 Oct 2011 03:45 #484259 by Chaotic Reason
Replied by Chaotic Reason on topic Anyone have this happen?
The coils would be my guess too. Even though they are new, a bad one could still be the culprit. I don't know a way to test for it though. Maybe a exterior electricity tester?

Attachment Non-Contact-Voltage-Tester-with-Buzzer-and-LED.jpg not found

Since it's so small, maybe carry one on you, and if the problem presents, test the coil wires. It's the only thing popping into my head.
If that's not the problem, I'd be interested in hearing what it actually is!

Michael
1980 KZ1000 shaft drive
Attachments:

• clutch
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
20 Oct 2011 04:00 #484261 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic Anyone have this happen?
I was having some intermittent misfires with my 750 not too long ago. After much testing, it turned out to be that the ic igniter was going bad on me. I would run through all the checks on your electronic ignition to see if the problem lies there.

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

More
20 Oct 2011 07:26 - 20 Oct 2011 07:53 #484271 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Anyone have this happen?

mac0239 wrote: ... 79 KZ1000st... losing power intermittently... riding along and suddenly it feels like 2 or 3 cylinders shut off and bike barely can do 30-40 mph and won't idle. Then whether you pull over or stop or try and keep riding it fires back up in anywhere from 10 seconds to several minutes of this near engine stall out...Dyna DC1 3 ohm coils (green ones)...feels like someone pulled a couple plug wires off while you were driving then after a minute or so they stick them back on....

If not already done, would assure integrity of ground connection (1) from the igniter and (2) where negative battery cable attaches to rear of engine.

Assure integrity of wiring connections through the connector that's located between pick-ups and igniter. (Perhaps loose or corroded.)

Assure sufficient clearance between screw heads (at coil primary terminals) and the coil mounting spacers. (Possible intermittent short.)

Possible fuel starvation due to insufficient tank venting. Could test run with the cap loose.

Assure valve clearances within specs.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 20 Oct 2011 07:53 by Patton.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
20 Oct 2011 09:16 #484281 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Anyone have this happen?
As Patton suggested, check those valve clearances, might have tighten after the build.
Double check you plug wire resistance with a good Ohm meter.
Ohm test your Pick-up coils, and Ignition coils.
Move the clip on your carb jet needle, 1 notch, and go up a couple main sizes.
Again as suggested, those Dyna's mount with the Primary posts quite close to the bracket, could be shorting there.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
20 Oct 2011 09:47 #484283 by ramtough_63
Replied by ramtough_63 on topic Anyone have this happen?
10 minutes some days 20 minutes of riding other days I would lose cylinder 2-3 after setting anywhere form 3-10 minutes it would seem to be fine some days i would ride for an hour and right before I put it up it would act up. I started jiggling plugwires found loose cap on a plug, had a plugwire that didnt seem like it was on solid but repairing that didnt help. found my problem while sitting on the side of the road whith it stalled. My wiring is a little bird nesty under the tank and the bullet connecter would compress with the tank on and would occasionally not make good contact. almost ordered a set of new coils before I found it. when I would pull the tank everything was plugged in and by the time I did and would run fine until i rode for a while.

Check the double bullet style connecter it was my gremlin

1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...

More
21 Oct 2011 22:05 #484565 by mac0239
Replied by mac0239 on topic Anyone have this happen?
Art, the pic is on the "Highwood Pass", legendary beautiful ride from Longview to Canmore hitting 8200ft altitude. The bike ran super at this altitude as well which impressed me.
Thanks for the tip.

Green 79' KZ1000st engine-1075 Wiseco kit, k&n pods, dyna ig & coils, and very old Kerker 4 into 1 pipes
Other project- orig Red 79' KZ1000st engine-stock so far with mystery black 4/1 header TBD

More
21 Oct 2011 22:20 #484569 by mac0239
Replied by mac0239 on topic Anyone have this happen?
Wow, as I expected, a ton of great leads to work on to find the gremlin.
I was tipped off by bike shops on the Fuel cap seal possibly not not venting so I tried popping it open now and then while riding and also right away when the stalling started, made no difference so scratched that one off list

The problem started before I had my valves re-adjusted 2 weeks ago. Even though 6 valves were off and needed adjustment & shims, the problem persisted.The bike did run a lot stronger after valve tweaking though, ran really really well!

I have a feeling the lose wire or dying ignition is where I will find this gremlin and will check every wire and bullet connector I can. I checked the plugs and caps and wires couple times now and they appear perfect. Didn't use ohm meter though so will try that to be sure.
Since I posted I talked to an old Kawi guru who gave me some ideas on checking to see if I have a bad coil too.

To me these little phantom problems are really the ONLY downside of old bikes. I guess it forces us to learn more about our machines and when we finally figure it out it make the ride on a classic all that much sweeter. Will post what ever it is that I find... hopefully soon !!

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
21 Oct 2011 22:51 #484574 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Anyone have this happen?
cracks in coils? B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
21 Oct 2011 22:52 #484575 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Anyone have this happen?

Chaotic Reason wrote: The coils would be my guess too. Even though they are new, a bad one could still be the culprit. I don't know a way to test for it though. Maybe a exterior electricity tester?

Attachment Non-Contact-Voltage-Tester-with-Buzzer-and-LED.jpg not found

Since it's so small, maybe carry one on you, and if the problem presents, test the coil wires. It's the only thing popping into my head.
If that's not the problem, I'd be interested in hearing what it actually is!

will those read dc voltage? ;)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
22 Oct 2011 00:33 #484600 by Chaotic Reason
Replied by Chaotic Reason on topic Anyone have this happen?

Michael
1980 KZ1000 shaft drive