Anyone have this happen?

More
25 Mar 2012 23:27 #512007 by jeffasaki
Replied by jeffasaki on topic Anyone have this happen?
I think that every old kz 1000 ive owned has had a problem with the wires that come out of the alternater and are routed behind the clutch cover

78 Z1R
78 KZ1000
76 KH500 gone
71 HS1B 90
81 GS 1100 gone
80 PE400
02 KLR

Ontario Canada

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Mar 2012 00:00 #512014 by mac0239
Replied by mac0239 on topic Anyone have this happen?
Will give the red (red/yellow ) wire a wiggle and see if Patton nailed it.
And as per "jeffaski" check the wire from the alternator, though if these wires were bad would it affect just one side/coil or all of them?

Green 79' KZ1000st engine-1075 Wiseco kit, k&n pods, dyna ig & coils, and very old Kerker 4 into 1 pipes
Other project- orig Red 79' KZ1000st engine-stock so far with mystery black 4/1 header TBD

More
26 Mar 2012 00:11 #512016 by dejavoodo41
Replied by dejavoodo41 on topic Anyone have this happen?
My bike had a Dyna III on it when I bought it and this is exactly what happened when it started going bad. I was given a Dyna S in a box of extra parts that I got with it. I swapped it for the III and problem solved.

1977 KZ1000A With 1980 KZ1000A MKII engine, Wiseco 1105 kit, Dyna S Ignition, 3 Ohm Dyna Coils, Cams, Mikuni RS34 Carbs, Vance and Hines Pro Pipe with Comp Baffle

New Smyrna Beach, FL

More
26 Mar 2012 00:13 #512017 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Anyone have this happen?
Engine should perform just fine without any charging components at all (such as alternator, rectifier and regulator) until the battery runs down.

The charging components' purpose in life is to keep the battery charged.

The other electrical stuff, including ignition and chassis items, draws power from the battery.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
26 Mar 2012 17:25 #512137 by Treewizard
Replied by Treewizard on topic Anyone have this happen?
I just had this exact thing happening with pistons 2 and 3

coil tested good

it turned out to be no signal coming from one side of the pickup / pulsing coils

i dont mean to thread jack but can i just buy the dyna pickup plate as seen here?

i hope thats all i need?

:pinch:

1983 KZ 750 shaft
2002 ZRX 1200R
Raleigh NC

More
26 Mar 2012 18:53 #512146 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Anyone have this happen?

mac0239 wrote: Been searching thru the forums and looked thru shop manual, even chatted with my local bike shops about it and they scratch their head.

Curious with all the experience and knowledge that dwells on this site if anyone can throw me some ideas of what might be.

My bike ( 79 KZ1000st )with 22,000miles on it has been losing power intermittently.

You will be riding along and suddenly it feels like 2 or 3 cylinders shut off and bike barely can do 30-40 mph and won't idle. Then whether you pull over or stop or try and keep riding it fires back up in anywhere from 10 seconds to several minutes of this near engine stall out.

My 750 used to do that and it was crap in the gas tank. A bit of crud would hit the main jet and it would start stuttering (could barely do 40 mph) and eventually it would wash out and suddenly start running fine again..

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
26 Mar 2012 18:58 #512147 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Anyone have this happen?

mac0239 wrote: I put on Flashing Plug Caps that flash red to help me diagnose (plus they look really cool in the dark).

Put in new plugs.
Battery is charged and cells are full and fine.

AND IT STILL INTERMITTINGLY STOPS FIRING ON all CYLYNDERS!!!

Took for a quick spin today and sure as shit after it was warmed up and i was climbing a hill I cranked it a bit and it HAPPENED AGAIN!
This time I had the flashing caps so I looked down and sure enough my #1 and #4 Cylinders were not flashing. # 2 and #3 were flashing fine.
I turned around and went back to garage.
Took off tank and checked all wires. All good.
So I swapped my left Dyna coil with my right to see if it was a bad coil.
Fired it up (with my hanging plastic porta-tank)and it was STILL the #1 and #4 coil not firing.
Looked all over and all connections seemed fine, no arcing or anything.

Sounds like it has to be the igniter module or the pickup sensors.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
26 Mar 2012 21:46 #512185 by Treewizard
Replied by Treewizard on topic Anyone have this happen?
thats the exact intermitent problem i had

i found out it was my pickup coils by disconnecting the pickup coil from the Ignitor, putting an ohm meter on 200 millivolts and putting the points on one set of the wires comming from the pickup coils, once side gave me a consistant 50-100 milivolts when i turned the crank, the other side gave me jack shite proplem solved now i just need the 133$ part from the dyna ingition! better than the whole thing i guess :woohoo:

1983 KZ 750 shaft
2002 ZRX 1200R
Raleigh NC

More
28 Mar 2012 18:26 #512594 by mac0239
As the saga continues....
Checked all grounds, seem fine.
Installing a new Dyna-S DS2-1 Electronic Ignition Pickup now though and bewildered here with the wires from it.

Apparantly the instructions are for someone replacing points.
my 79 KZ1000E (st) already had electronic Ignition and the it was a 4 wire that connected to the IC Igniter. the Dyna set-up only has 3 wires? a Black wire, a green wire and a red that I splice into the 12v red/yellow common for the coils.
So the question is does this Dyna S DS2-1 still use IC Igniter and rectifier???
If so do I just splice the two wires into IC igniter somehow as opposed to the old 4 wires that went in from old pick-up?? Does this work?
Looking on web to see how other people have changed from kawasaki Elect Ignition to Dyna-S Elect. Ign. ( side note my coils are new green Dyna DC1-1 coils that are supposed to match up).

Anyone know the answer to this quiz?

stevo

Green 79' KZ1000st engine-1075 Wiseco kit, k&n pods, dyna ig & coils, and very old Kerker 4 into 1 pipes
Other project- orig Red 79' KZ1000st engine-stock so far with mystery black 4/1 header TBD

More
28 Mar 2012 18:36 #512598 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Anyone have this happen?
Igniter is eliminated with Dyna-S.

Keep the rectifier.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: mac0239

More
28 Mar 2012 18:42 #512601 by mac0239
Thank you thank you thank you.

If your ever in Calgary Patton let me know, cuz I'll be buying you some pints for sure!!

Back to my garage and see if I can make this happen.

stay tuned and thank again!

steve

More
29 Mar 2012 01:11 #512682 by mac0239
Fingers crossed, Installed the new Dyna-S DS2-1 and so far so good.
Chucked the IC Igniter (thanks Patton)and cleaned up some more wires with DeOxit.
The timing was almost "bang on" when I popped on new plate/rotor and only needed a minor tweak.
Took it out for a burn and it ran strong and sounded like pure evil.
I am a happy camper right now!
Almost a year of scratching my head might be FINALLY over.

Thanks for all the great help/tips along the way from everyone that led me down the right path.
This site is a lifesaver for those of us with a ton of passion for these old classics, but not that much experience or knowledge of the maintenance side of them.

cheers,

s