Does anyone run an Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
17 Oct 2011 03:31 #483702 by clutch
Just curious if anyone runs an air/fuel ratio gauge. I've been thinking about getting one for the bike, but not sure it will be worth the money and effort. Thoughts?

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2011 12:49 #483747 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Does anyone run an Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge
A few of us are using the Innovate system. It worked great for me.
I only had it on while tuning, then take it off.
kzrider.com/forum/3-carburetor/307483-in...and-o2-sensor#307761

kzrider.com/forum/3-carburetor/417399-da...g-for-tuning-your-kz

kzrider.com/forum/3-carburetor/379053-tu...or-advicetips#379124

Testarossa is logging it.

I prefer to have the gauge and look at it in real time so I can feel how the bike is behaving while watching the AFR's. However, it would be nice to go back and see how the parameters line up instead of trying to remember the values and writing them down after pulling over.

For my carbs, which are not CV, I would only log throttle position, AFR, and RPM. From that, and watching the gauge during acceleration, I can judge what to do on the jetting. It worked out really well for tuning. I had it pretty close the old fashioned way, but the AFR gauge let me dial it in a little more precisely.

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Oct 2011 13:11 #483751 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic Does anyone run an Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge
Sweet! Thanks for the reply. I was actually looking at this gauge:

www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/MTXL.php

Must be pretty decent if that is the brand you guys are running too. I think I would keep it on and log it...since it has that capability...why not? Kind of curious how you guys mounted the O2 sensors. Looking at my bike, I think it will probably have to be mounted in a manner that will be very noticeable. If you guys have pics of how you mounted the sensor, that would be awesome :)

Southern Maryland, USA

1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

More
17 Oct 2011 13:16 #483753 by T_Dub
Replied by T_Dub on topic Does anyone run an Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge
I've got the MTXL like in your link, haven't tried it yet since the bike isn't running but I'll have some feedback in a couple weeks. Innovate is by far the best when it comes to this stuff.

I have a 4-1 exhaust on my bike, just gonna install it horizontally coming out the side of my collector. Not much else you can do, but if you do it right it should be under your bike enough to not be really noticeable.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Oct 2011 13:19 #483754 by clutch
Cool. In my research on these types of gauges, I saw a couple companies that recommended mounting them slightly above horizontal (at least 10 degrees or so) to avoid the sensor getting wet due to condensation in the lower portion of the exhaust. Is this not something I would need to worry about with the innovate product, just some others?

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

More
17 Oct 2011 13:21 #483756 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Does anyone run an Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge
Yeah, that first link I posted has pictures of my setup, but the first time I went to it, a bunch of the posts didn't show up. They show up for me now, though.

Maybe try clicking on it again.

Basically you want to mount the sensor just after the collector where you get the 4 pipes into 1. It also needs to mounted so the tip of the sensor is somewhat downward to prevent water collecting on the tip. Obviously, you have to weld in a bung. You want it near the collector so the gases are still hot, otherwise the o2 sensor will require more electrical current for heating.

It's all unsightly, so for me it's only temporary. As a matter of fact, it's all in a box and I haven't touched it since finishing the jetting on two bikes. (Still two more to go, though.)

I'm using the LC-1 system. I think I read about the LM-2 having some problems, but that was a couple years ago. Innovate has a lot of options and configurations, so you will really want to research what is the best setup for you. I think I went with the lowest cost setup, with the exception of a few extra bucks for the analog gauge rather than the digital one. It's much easier to see a big red arrow out of the corner of your eye rather than focusing on some small digits.

More
17 Oct 2011 13:24 #483757 by T_Dub
Their manual says to install above 3 or 9 o'clock. I think that horizontal with a little bit of upward tilt is fine, as long as its up at the middle of the pipe. Get it up as high as possible without hitting your oil pan basically.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
17 Oct 2011 13:29 #483761 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Does anyone run an Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge
As Lou says, I'm using a Innovate LM-2 to log. Originally I was logging AFR, throttle position, and rpm. Now that I have installed the smoothbores, I no longer log throttle position. I'm not willing to modify the throttle linkage on the smoothbores to attach the TPS.

It did make jetting fairly easy, and adjusting idle mixture is a snap with the 02 sensor in place. It can drive you crazy since the carburetors will never be perfect under all conditions.

Actually the LM-2 can be used just like the gauge that Lou is using. You have to figure out some way of attaching it to your handlebars for instant readings. Obviously, it's not nearly as elegant as the gauge when used this way.

You do still want to mount the sensor above the centerline of your exhaust. Condensation will collect in the bottom and collect in the sensor if it is mounted in the lower portion of the pipe. If I remember correctly, all of the commercially available wideband O2 sensor setups use the same Bosch sensor. They will all have the same issue with sensor mounting position.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Oct 2011 13:35 #483762 by clutch
OMG! You can get TPS sensors for the logging!?!? :woohoo:

I need to look at all the info on their different setups...I just kinda picked the cheapest one. LOL!

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

More
17 Oct 2011 13:40 #483765 by T_Dub
Yeah you can log TPS, but you need one of their setups that can log other things. I'm going to be logging, but I made my own logger to do that. The MTXL wont log, but I wanted the gauge so I can have it on my handlebars all the time. Think of it as cheap insurance for your engine. I have over $3000 in mine, and lots of hours of work, I don't want to risk all that for the sake of a $200 sensor.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
17 Oct 2011 13:43 #483767 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Does anyone run an Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge

clutch wrote: OMG! You can get TPS sensors for the logging!?!? :woohoo:

I need to look at all the info on their different setups...I just kinda picked the cheapest one. LOL!

You can log anything you want, as long as it uses a sensor that outputs and analog 0-5VDC reading. The TPS that I used was the cheapest one I could find on ebay. IIRC it fit a Thunderbird Turbo Coupe. I was even going to log manifold absolute pressure, but never followed through with it. The LM-2 allows you to input from 4 different analog inputs. As for problems with the LM-2, I have had none.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Oct 2011 14:19 #483772 by clutch

loudhvx wrote: Yeah, that first link I posted has pictures of my setup, but the first time I went to it, a bunch of the posts didn't show up. They show up for me now, though.

Maybe try clicking on it again.

Basically you want to mount the sensor just after the collector where you get the 4 pipes into 1. It also needs to mounted so the tip of the sensor is somewhat downward to prevent water collecting on the tip. Obviously, you have to weld in a bung. You want it near the collector so the gases are still hot, otherwise the o2 sensor will require more electrical current for heating.

It's all unsightly, so for me it's only temporary. As a matter of fact, it's all in a box and I haven't touched it since finishing the jetting on two bikes. (Still two more to go, though.)

I'm using the LC-1 system. I think I read about the LM-2 having some problems, but that was a couple years ago. Innovate has a lot of options and configurations, so you will really want to research what is the best setup for you. I think I went with the lowest cost setup, with the exception of a few extra bucks for the analog gauge rather than the digital one. It's much easier to see a big red arrow out of the corner of your eye rather than focusing on some small digits.

Thanks! I found some great info on those other posts. Though...while watching your videos, I felt like that key was going to come off and smack you in the face eventually. LOL! :silly:

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...