AGM Battery, Any Good Tricks to revive one?

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
16 Oct 2011 10:46 #483500 by Motor Head
Well this AGM Battery I got with the Concours doesn't want to get a deep charge. It has no Amperage storage capacity. Goes down overnight with a .7 amp draw from the digital clock, higher than I would like. I've tried a slow trickle for like 3 days before I even used it once. Then I've tried fast charging at 10amps rate for an hour then back to the trickle overnight. Still no good, battery had sat dead for at least a year. But was new and was probably not used much at all. Seems like it gets a voltage level of 13 or so after charging, then after taking the surface charge off it drops down to 11.5v, I think it may just be F'd.
Using the Wet Acid out of the KZ now, and am going to get another Wet unless someone can convince me that the AGM can be rescued. Do they get a Memory in them like some Ni-cads? Thinking of pulling it to Zero/ Dead and trying to revive it again.
Thoughts?

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Oct 2011 11:18 - 16 Oct 2011 11:21 #483506 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic AGM Battery, Any Good Tricks to revive one?
A friend of mine went through several brands of AGM batteries, and he said the only one that he recommends is the one from BatteryStuff.com. He had problems keeping a charge on the other brands. He had to toss them.

I bought one from there (BatteryStuff.com) in the spring and so far it works as well as any normal flooded battery. But I don't have any devices permanently drawing a trickle from the battery.

Are you sure it's .7 Amp? That's a huge amount for a clock... like 8 watts. Maybe you mean .7 mA?

Based on the 11.5v shortly after charging, I'd say it's belly up. It should stay up over 12v, (after the initial drop from 13v), after charging.
Last edit: 16 Oct 2011 11:21 by loudhvx.

More
16 Oct 2011 11:19 #483507 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic AGM Battery, Any Good Tricks to revive one?
Why take the chance even if you could get it somewhat revived... Junk it...

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Oct 2011 11:49 - 16 Oct 2011 12:13 #483512 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic AGM Battery, Any Good Tricks to revive one?
The draw is .7 amp, I wish it was like 20ma. I just got this Clock with the used gauges, and it works well. The other old one has a messed up Set button for the Minutes. I may use the spot in the console to put in something more useful, like a Volt meter. Clocks I really don't care WTF time it is!
:laugh:
Junk it is what I'm doing, just seeing if I'm missing a process with it. I've done what I though was going to have a chance of using it. My experience has been with normal wet cells and not the AGM. But nothing worse than letting a battery sit and discharging.

Its an Interstate Product line battery.
www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_eStore/Pr...II+-+270+CCA+-+18+AH

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
Last edit: 16 Oct 2011 12:13 by Motor Head.

More
16 Oct 2011 12:13 - 16 Oct 2011 12:15 #483518 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic AGM Battery, Any Good Tricks to revive one?
Yikes. :ohmy:

0.7 amp is more than a standard 1157 tail light bulb. That's like leaving the tail light on 24/7. That will easily discharge a battery overnight to the point of not starting. Then recharging it will be a deep cycle. I wouldn't expect a battery to last more than a few weeks that way.

Time to ditch the clock.
Last edit: 16 Oct 2011 12:15 by loudhvx.

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Oct 2011 12:21 #483519 by Motor Head
That's right, so I've had the float charger on it at night. Less than 50ma is what I've always looked for on draw. Clock is coming off line, and then probably a voltmeter instead. The regular wet battery from Napa I've taken from the KZ, starts it right up after 1 night, no problem. But that draw is out of spec. Loose the clock I say.
And the AGM, reading 10.4 after knocking the surface charge off, has a 4 amp head light hooked up to it monitoring the time it takes to drop voltage. I saw a chart on the net before on deep cycle batteries and Amp hour rating and discharge rate. It takes almost no effort to see what it does. It can discharge while I fix some of the remaining broken plastic. :P

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
More
16 Oct 2011 13:42 #483527 by KZ_Rage
Replied by KZ_Rage on topic AGM Battery, Any Good Tricks to revive one?
I don't think that draw rate for the clock is right if it is more than a bulb. On mine the clock wouldn't drain the battery even when it sat for a month in the early spring waiting for another good day to ride it. It has an illumination bulb in it that should be on unless the bike is on, that might be the source of the drain. The clock is an LED setup so it won't draw squat really.

As for AGM's they are either good or junk, horrible creatures for taking a charge and indicating full capacity then as soon as you put a heavy load on them to say start the bike then they tank out. Before junking I'd full charge it on the bench then wait a day or so and put it back in to try it. If it is flat or tanks then trash it, if not then you probably have a wiring gremlin.

1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Oct 2011 14:08 #483530 by Motor Head
I dropped it down to 2.4v using 2 headlights. Following the Label on the top for charging rates, I have it on Quick 10amps for 1 hour timer. Then I'll finish it with a 2amp for 4 more hours. Then I'll retest, got plenty of spare time today for puttering around in the garage.

More
16 Oct 2011 15:05 #483534 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic AGM Battery, Any Good Tricks to revive one?

Motor Head wrote: Well this AGM Battery I got with the Concours doesn't want to get a deep charge. It has no Amperage storage capacity. Goes down overnight with a .7 amp draw from the digital clock, higher than I would like. I've tried a slow trickle for like 3 days before I even used it once. Then I've tried fast charging at 10amps rate for an hour then back to the trickle overnight. Still no good, battery had sat dead for at least a year. But was new and was probably not used much at all. Seems like it gets a voltage level of 13 or so after charging, then after taking the surface charge off it drops down to 11.5v, I think it may just be F'd.
Using the Wet Acid out of the KZ now, and am going to get another Wet unless someone can convince me that the AGM can be rescued. Do they get a Memory in them like some Ni-cads? Thinking of pulling it to Zero/ Dead and trying to revive it again.
Thoughts?

It's sulphated internally. RIP battery.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
16 Oct 2011 15:07 #483535 by bountyhunter

Motor Head wrote: The draw is .7 amp, I wish it was like 20ma.

That will killl most bike batteries in about 15 hours. Disconnect it.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
16 Oct 2011 15:08 #483536 by bountyhunter

loudhvx wrote: Yikes. :ohmy:

0.7 amp is more than a standard 1157 tail light bulb. That's like leaving the tail light on 24/7. That will easily discharge a battery overnight to the point of not starting. Then recharging it will be a deep cycle. I wouldn't expect a battery to last more than a few weeks that way.

+1. Deep cycling lead acid batteries kills them QUICKLY.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
16 Oct 2011 16:31 #483546 by ramtough_63
Replied by ramtough_63 on topic AGM Battery, Any Good Tricks to revive one?
gotta deal on a new Deca AGM didnt survive long enough to get my bike running. blamed the charging system 3 months old ended up with a batteries now AGM fires everytime I hit the Button. Bike sits about a week between rides sometimes 2. without a tender I am inclined to believe Some of em are junk right out of the box.

1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...