Rec/Reg combo unit from Z1 for my KZ650 B1

More
05 Sep 2011 14:26 - 05 Sep 2011 14:27 #474354 by bloglos
Got tired of trying to sort out my charging issues so I ordered up this combo rec/reg unit from Z1.

z1enterprises.com/Rectifier--Regulator-c...maha-XS650-3268.aspx

Thanks to everyone in my previous thread that tried to help me sort it out. I'm fairly hopeful that this will fix it. This combo unit replaces the separate rectifier, regulator on my bike. I was hoping someone could help me figure out which wires splice to which colors on my harness.

Here are the instructions, I've added my guesswork to it. please correct me if I'm wrong)
Wiring:
GREEN to battery (-). (White/red wire in harness? or brown?)
RED to battery (+). (Black/yellow wire in harness)
3 YELLOW to stator. (3 yellow wires out of stator)
ORANGE to (+) brush on rotor or field coil. (Green out of stator)
BLUE to 12v switched from key. (No idea, maybe not connected at all?)

Any help would be appreciated!

78 KZ650 C2 - Runner
77 KZ650 B1 - Project
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Sep 2011 14:27 by bloglos.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2011 14:36 #474355 by T_Dub
Replied by T_Dub on topic Rec/Reg combo unit from Z1 for my KZ650 B1
Green goes to the black/yellow wire coming from your battery negative terminal. This can be found easily at your old regulator.

Red goes to the red/white wire coming from your battery +ve terminal. This red/white wire connects to the white wire on your old rectifier.

3 Yellow to stator.

Orange to green out of stator.

Blue goes to the brown wire that was connected to your old regulator. This wire jumps from your turn signal relay and goes to your reg.

Hope that helps, you would have fried everything hooking up the green and red in the way you said. I'm glad you asked, I'd hate to see your bike in flames haha.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

More
05 Sep 2011 14:42 #474358 by bloglos
Replied by bloglos on topic Rec/Reg combo unit from Z1 for my KZ650 B1

T_Dub wrote: Green goes to the black/yellow wire coming from your battery negative terminal. This can be found easily at your old regulator.

Red goes to the red/white wire coming from your battery +ve terminal. This red/white wire connects to the white wire on your old rectifier.

3 Yellow to stator.

Orange to green out of stator.

Blue goes to the brown wire that was connected to your old regulator. This wire jumps from your turn signal relay and goes to your reg.

Hope that helps, you would have fried everything hooking up the green and red in the way you said. I'm glad you asked, I'd hate to see your bike in flames haha.

Ha! whoops, that was a typo when I typed the note. Thanks for the help, I'm feeling much better about installing this thing. Did you install one on your B1? Did you put it under the battery box mount where the old rectifier was mounted? or under the left side cover where the old regulator was? I'm guessing this thing would get hot under the side cover.

78 KZ650 C2 - Runner
77 KZ650 B1 - Project

More
05 Sep 2011 14:50 #474359 by T_Dub
Replied by T_Dub on topic Rec/Reg combo unit from Z1 for my KZ650 B1
No prob, you can do it, its not too big a thing.

I haven't put one on yet, still waiting for it to arrive from Z1E. As for where to put it, I can't imagine it getting too too hot under the sidecover. At least on my bike with no airbox to bock the wind. Probably safest to put it under the battery box though. I'm just thinking if the bolt holes line up with the old regulator ones I'll put it there.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
19 Sep 2011 01:03 #477788 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Rec/Reg combo unit from Z1 for my KZ650 B1
did your new combo R/R fix your charging system issue?

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
22 Sep 2011 20:22 #478778 by bloglos

Motor Head wrote: did your new combo R/R fix your charging system issue?

Just got it today. About to install it, I'll post an update when I test it out

78 KZ650 C2 - Runner
77 KZ650 B1 - Project

More
22 Sep 2011 22:33 #478808 by bloglos
Worked like a charm! Woooohooo! Battery is charging!

Thanks for all the help!

Now on to the next problem, leaking oil pressure unit under the point plate ;)

78 KZ650 C2 - Runner
77 KZ650 B1 - Project

• Motor Head
  • User
More
22 Sep 2011 22:40 #478816 by Motor Head
That's good to hear.
Isn't your leak just the switch? That should be an easy fix. just see if it is a tapered thread, or straight with a gasket. If tapered don't over tighten, it acts like a wedge and cracks can happen.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

More
22 Sep 2011 22:44 #478817 by bloglos

Motor Head wrote: That's good to hear
Isn't your leak just the switch? That should be an easy fix. just see if it is a tapered thread, or straight with a gasket. If tapered don't over tighten, it acts like a wedge and cracks can happen.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.

I believe its the tapered thread as I can see a substantial amount of thread and no gasket. I'll give it a little turn tomorrow before I head to work and see if it clears it up.

78 KZ650 C2 - Runner
77 KZ650 B1 - Project

• Motor Head
  • User
More
22 Sep 2011 22:48 #478818 by Motor Head
Be careful there, I thought the leak was the switch, they usually will leak where the body and electrical comes together. It is crimped when made, and the plastic shrinks over time. Very common.

More
23 Sep 2011 00:59 #478863 by bloglos

Motor Head wrote: Be careful there, I thought the leak was the switch, they usually will leak where the body and electrical comes together. It is crimped when made, and the plastic shrinks over time. Very common.

Hmm. If I need to replace it might be in some trouble as I don't think anyone makes a reproduction part.

78 KZ650 C2 - Runner
77 KZ650 B1 - Project