Igniter

More
30 Aug 2011 20:46 #473004 by dblhdr
Igniter was created by dblhdr
:angry: Why does an igniter for a 1981 KZ 1000-C4 cost so damn much? :ohmy:
Kawasaki doesn't make it any more, but one place wants over $500.00 for one claimed to be NOS, and another place wants over $650.00.
Talk about taking advantage of the consumer.
Is there some other alternative to buying a new igniter than getting it from one of these pirates? :blink: Sorry if you're one of the pirates. :whistle:
Other than getting a non returnable questionable used one off e-Bay, are there any other part numbers from another bike , car, or boat that I could use instead? :huh:

1981 KZ1000 Police Special coverted for civilian use with passenger seat, custom luggage rack, and paint. Daily rider.
2006 Harley Davidson Road King FLHR1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2011 20:54 #473006 by etbike3135
Replied by etbike3135 on topic Igniter
I have a box full of good Kawasaki Igntions, pm me if your interested. I might need to know what yours looks like so I can match it up. $75

1973 Kawasaki Z1
18 years in dragbikes

More
30 Aug 2011 21:02 #473008 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Igniter
If your bike has a mechanical ignition advance (most 80's bike did/do). Find "Loudhvx's" replacement made with GM ignition modules. Have you checked the pick up(pulsing) coils?

Ohm Checking Pickup(Pulsing) Coils

The pickup coils on the Kawasaki’s with the factory supplied electronic ignition can sometimes fail or become intermittent due to heat and vibration.

1.Trace back from where the pick up coils are mounted,(under a right side CD sized cover) locate and disconnect a small 4 pin connector. Using a multi-meter set on OHMS and range of 2K, check between the BLUE and BLACK wires(#1 and #4 sparkplug wires) for between 360- 540 OHMS.

2.For #2 and #3 sparkplugs the wire colors will be YELLOW and RED, again 360-540 OHMS. The 550’s,650’s & 750’s may be backwards to the Z1’s,Kz900’s,Kz1000’s & Kz1100’s.

3.If the pickup coils are suspect of failing due to heat, they can be stressed using a hair dryer without the need of the engine running.

4.A replacement set of pickup coils might be obtained from a dealer who serviced the police Kawasaki’s.

5. If replacement pickup coils are not available, your next choice would be to order a Dyna “S” electronic ignition system from www.z1enterprises.com It replaces the IC igniter with a smaller module located where the mechanical ignition advancer was mounted.

6. Checking with Kawasaki.com website has determined that the Pick up(pulsing) coils are available . The pulsing coil # is 59026-1133 and replaces the older # 1002, 1012 which were used from the MKII motors until the 2005 P24.

7.Check the small 4 pin connector that the pickup coils connect to for corrosion/loose pins too.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)
The following user(s) said Thank You: dblhdr

More
30 Aug 2011 22:44 #473053 by dblhdr
Replied by dblhdr on topic Igniter
:laugh: Just got word from my Buddy that ended up with my bike in his garage when it stopped running closer to his house than mine. He found a used igniter for only thirty five bucks from his friend that has a bike shop. He swapped it out and the bike is running great. ;)
Man it sure is great having friends that love these old KAW's as much as we do.
B) Not only did he haul my bike in the back of his pickup truck from the side of the road where it left me stranded. He gave me one of his KZ1000's as a loaner so I could get the fortyfive miles home. He figgured out what went wrong, and got the part from his buddy as cheap as I could have found it anywhere. He installed the part and got it running again. :P
I am truely blessed to have friends like that. :woohoo: Thank you Jeff You are terriffic. B)

1981 KZ1000 Police Special coverted for civilian use with passenger seat, custom luggage rack, and paint. Daily rider.

More
30 Aug 2011 22:47 #473054 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Igniter
Loudhvx our resident electrical genius designed an ignitor for the gpz 550
See
home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/GPZweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html

According to Kawasaki.com , owner info, parts diagrams etc etc the 550 ignitor is compatable with the one for the 1980 KZ1000G1............so ........might work. Hang around and a real expert will be along soon.

I know Lou's design will work for a 750/4 which why I keep his page bookmarked. A few years ago I thought I needed a new ignitor. They were available back then and the dealer quoted me $400. Luckily I found my problem was something else.
Good luck

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

• Rainman
  • Sustaining Member
  • and a little Kaw shall lead them
More
31 Aug 2011 15:07 #473283 by Rainman
Replied by Rainman on topic Igniter
Glad to here your back in the saddle again for a reasonable price. Was it Jeff,s Orange Dream that got you home?
Post up if you plan a ride in this direction.
Jim

80 KZ750 H1 - the Kaw calf
79 KZ750 Twin - Miss Nov 2008 KZR calander
79 KZ750 Twin parts bike
78 KZ650 C2 Parts Bike
75 KZ400 Wife's old bike sold
81 KZ440 A2 LTD Wife's new bike
84 Honda 450 Rebel Wife's newest bike
Jim
Quincy,IL

More
31 Aug 2011 15:54 #473295 by Tommotbird
Replied by Tommotbird on topic Igniter
I bought a junk Kz550 Ltd recently mainly for the wheels.
I noticed from the picture before I bought it that the igniter was still in place. Yes it is the same as the one for the Z1 Classic so I have a great spare.
Tommotbird

Triumph Thunderbird Sport
Triumph Legend
Lambretta SX150
Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
1981 KZ650CSR HI
KZ1100 A2 x 4
Z1 Classic
KZ1000 LTD K1 1981
KZ750 LTD H2 x 4
Attachments:

More
31 Aug 2011 17:29 #473309 by dblhdr
Replied by dblhdr on topic Igniter
No, it's his spare powder blue bike that he keeps around so he can still ride when he has the Orange dream down for maint. It weighs about two hundred pounds less than mine and peels rubber from stop signs and you can hear it from half a mile away. What a blast it is to ride, but I still want my heavy plastic and chrome covered beast back. I've been spoiled by the windshield and spring loaded seat. Those big bugs hurt at seventy mph.

More
01 Sep 2011 00:57 #473409 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Igniter
As other's mentioned, there is an alternative. It's about $35 or $40, but you have to assemble a few parts. The parts are very common and easy to get.

The link has to be done with BB code or it does not work on KZrider:
home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/GPZweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html

The $500+ price tag is why I came up with it.