dyna booster ?

• indianajames
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Aug 2011 18:06 #472622 by indianajames
dyna booster ? was created by indianajames
just heard about this thing . sounds great but the site gives no indications of which module to use for say a 77 650 . anybody?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
29 Aug 2011 18:12 #472625 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic dyna booster ?
do u mean a booster seat ?

:P

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
29 Aug 2011 19:53 #472651 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic dyna booster ?
:woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• wireman
  • User
More
29 Aug 2011 19:56 #472653 by wireman

Attachment dyna.jpg not found

aparently its for points ignition,i would think it would be easier just to go ahead and install electronic ignition since youll still have points to jack with B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Attachments:

More
29 Aug 2011 20:14 - 29 Aug 2011 20:15 #472665 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic dyna booster ?

indianajames wrote: just heard about this thing . sounds great but the site gives no indications of which module to use for say a 77 650 . anybody?

The same module should work with any standard points/coil system. I would wager the unit is similar to the auto "HE" modules that have a solid-state switch inside (SCR, transistor, TRIAC, etc) that opens the current flowing in the coil primary, and the points simply tell that switch when to open. Ergo, the points never burn or wear out. You can also get a hotter spark and better high RPM performance because the solid state switch can "break" the current faster and more sharply than a mechanical switch.

It's possible the module may have a minimum spec for coil resistance and have some restrictions against using the super low Ohm coils, you should ask Dyna if there is any requirements on the coil to make sure.

I have a similar type of system (points + electronic ignition) and I haven't bought any new points in about 15 years. They just don't wear.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 29 Aug 2011 20:15 by bountyhunter.

• wireman
  • User
More
29 Aug 2011 20:31 #472668 by wireman
what was the cost compared to electronic ignition? the only one i found was on a beemer board and it was over $200.00 :blink:

More
30 Aug 2011 00:49 - 30 Aug 2011 00:50 #472734 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic dyna booster ?
I have seen those dyna ignition boosters on ebay for about $60.

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dynatek-Ignition...&hash=item20bbaa23d0

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 30 Aug 2011 00:50 by bountyhunter.

• wireman
  • User
More
30 Aug 2011 04:36 - 30 Aug 2011 04:38 #472752 by wireman
that seems a lot more reasonable to me! :laugh:
well wait a second,that number 1 in the part number makes me think it could be the single points version.
according to their website they make single and dual point versions,dual points being for 4cyl bikes of course B)

Last edit: 30 Aug 2011 04:38 by wireman.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
30 Aug 2011 09:26 #472783 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic dyna booster ?
The rubbing block for the points is still going to wear, making the dwell time change, also the spring for the opening and closing. Also doesn't the unit still want the stock condenser? Then there is the good possibility that oil will get on the contacts from the advancer throwing it.
I think if you were to spend the money, a fully electronic ignition that replaces the points and condenser would be better. my .02

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
30 Aug 2011 14:52 - 30 Aug 2011 14:54 #472881 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic dyna booster ?
Yes, the other parts of the points will wear, but it still lasts way longer than the points will with arcing. There would be no reason to maintain the condenser, since it's for anti-arcing, and there is no arcing with such a system.

Also, as Motorhead points out, you still need to clean the points. But this amounts to running a thin cloth through the point gap about once or twice a year.... way easier than filing/replacing/resetting points.

You can make the same thing with Ford ignition modules, but I used GM HEI modules since it was what I had, and they are smaller. About $40 for a inline 4-cyl.

home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/GPZweb/Ignitio...heiModForPoints.html
Last edit: 30 Aug 2011 14:54 by loudhvx.

• indianajames
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Aug 2011 18:19 #472982 by indianajames
Replied by indianajames on topic dyna booster ?
thanx thanx thanx . these are things i needed to know . this 77 650 is being restored for a client and he does not have the money for a electronic ignition , but likes the maintenance idea , so i think its perfect for him . thanx lou for the link that is pure genius , same to you bounty hunter , im wondering about the coils aswell . oh yea i dont think i would hook this booster to my seat.

More
31 Aug 2011 03:05 #473145 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic dyna booster ?
If he does not have a lot of money, he can just use the original coils. But if his coils are bad, the most economical coils would probably be the Emgo coils (4-ohms) available at Z1 enerprises.