Testing Coil and Pickup..

More
23 Jun 2011 22:48 #459042 by xicano73
Testing Coil and Pickup.. was created by xicano73
Hello Forum!!
Can Someone clue me in on how to test a coil and pickup on a 1981 KZ440?
Having some starting issues and no spark when issue presents no spark at plug.
THANKS SOO MUCH IN ADVANCE!

p.s. Jus purchased best meter I could get at Lowes....if anything else is needed please advise. I also have a an extra coil off a four cylinder KZ..not sure if they are interchangeable.

Thanks again!

Hardtail KZ440....No front brake or fenders, springer seat! Insanity on two wheels!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jun 2011 01:18 #459070 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Testing Coil and Pickup..
I wrote this for the bigger 4's, but imagine the readings will work for your bike:

Ohm Checking Pickup(Pulsing) Coils

The pickup coils on the Kawasaki’s with the factory supplied electronic ignition can sometimes fail or become intermittent due to heat and vibration.

1.Trace back from where the pick up coils are mounted,(under a right side CD sized cover) locate and disconnect a small 4 pin connector. Using a multi-meter set on OHMS and range of 2K, check between the BLUE and BLACK wires(#1 and #4 sparkplug wires) for between 360- 540 OHMS.

2.For #2 and #3 sparkplugs the wire colors will be YELLOW and RED, again 360-540 OHMS. The 550’s,650’s & 750’s may be backwards to the Z1’s,Kz900’s,Kz1000’s & Kz1100’s.

3.If the pickup coils are suspect of failing due to heat, they can be stressed using a hair dryer without the need of the engine running.

4.A replacement set of pickup coils might be obtained from a dealer who serviced the police Kawasaki’s.

5. If replacement pickup coils are not available, your next choice would be to order a Dyna “S” electronic ignition system from www.z1enterprises.com It replaces the IC igniter with a smaller module located where the mechanical ignition advancer was mounted.

6. Checking with Kawasaki.com website has determined that the Pick up(pulsing) coils are available . The pulsing coil # is 59026-1133 and replaces the older # 1002, 1012 which were used from the MKII motors until the 2005 P24.

7.Check the small 4 pin connector that the pickup coils connect to for corrosion/loose pins too.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
24 Jun 2011 15:22 #459155 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Testing Coil and Pickup..
The typical failure modes that a coil will have can't be tested by a static (Ohm) test. My manual shows them using some kind of high voltage tester which might work, but ohming them out only tells you if they have an open or short.

1979 KZ-750 Twin