Fitting Dyna Coils under tank?! 1980 750-4

More
18 Jun 2011 00:07 #457924 by apbling
Replied by apbling on topic Fitting Dyna Coils under tank?! 1980 750-4
Well, the coil body won't be really any closer to the motor, but the terminals will need to point downward instead of out to fit under the tank.

This really sucks...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jun 2011 11:35 #457999 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Fitting Dyna Coils under tank?! 1980 750-4
From the factory, the 550 wires lay on the valve cover so I'd imagine it should be fine.

Also, my yellow Accel wires lay on the valve cover (for the last 12 years or so) and don't seem to have any problems. No melting, but maybe some abbrasion from vibration... more of a scuff in the wire jacket.

More
18 Jun 2011 13:02 #458012 by apbling
yeah, mine read ultra high temp silicone. Probably similar composition to some gasket maker material, so hopefully we are good to go. Just got back from buying everything the local hardware store had to offer for zinc coated L brackets. Let the cussing begin!

More
18 Jun 2011 15:15 #458033 by apbling
Success! for now... :)
Drilled a few holes, mounted a couple brackets...done!
Now, the KZ Gods were looking favorable on me because I did some goofs and luckily enough didn't damage anything.
1. Even though Dyna coils are non-polar, my bike is. I had the red wires on opposite posts of the coils. Probably lucky I didn't smoke my ignitor, right?
2. Stupid me must have swapped coil 1/4 with coil 2/3 electrical leads while dinking around, becuase it would not fire! swapped the plug wires around and bam, runs like a champ. I witnessed the fat blue spark you guys speak of. Lets just say these are a slight upgrade from my other coils.

I do have a question though. Is it ok that the bolts that mount through the coils touch the frame? Seems like a dumb question because the bolts touch the stock bracket which touches the frame, but when turning the bike over, there was a little shard of metal from drilling sitting on the mounting nut and it was moving as the engine was cranking. Looked kinda cool, but want to make sure I'm not doing something stupid again.

Thanks everyone!!!!

PS- These coils and better spark wouldn't cause the bike to run leaner, would it? Maybe hotter? I coulda swore my headers weren't that yellowsih, but a 8 min ride I don't think would cause that...

More
18 Jun 2011 15:28 #458036 by apbling
If you were curious, I got some 2" L brackets and just mounted them to the little A frame thing that my coil mounted to. Then I turned the coil 90 on its axis to point the secondary connections downward. I mounted them then to the 2" bracket. Had to drill a new mounting hole in the orignal A bracket because of course the holes wouldn't line up.

More
18 Jun 2011 15:38 #458037 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Fitting Dyna Coils under tank?! 1980 750-4
I wouldn't think it matters about the ignition coil polarity(just make sure the Red wire goes to both coils on the same terminals). I believe the mounting bolt for the coils will contact the frame(It does on my 1982 GPz1100 with the green 3 ohm Dyna coils)Just be careful about the primary(small wires) as the teminals are close to the frame or spacers.

I wrote this for the bigger 4's, the 550's,650's & 750's are toward the bottom of the listing.

Ignition Coil Primary And Secondary Wiring

Ignition coils on the 80’s Kz1000,Kz1100’s and Gpz1100’s are wired the same, that is as you sit on the bike, the LEFT ignition coil primary(small wires) are two wires, RED and BLACK. The secondary (or sparkplug wires) go to #1 and #4 sparkplugs(your primary wiring may be different).

The cylinders are numbered left to right as you sit on the seat; #1,#2,#3, and #4.

For the RIGHT ignition coil, the primary wires, again are two wires, RED and GREEN, with the secondary going to #2 and #3.

The RED wire gets it’s voltage from the run/stop switch on the right handlebar switch pod.

The BLACK and GREEN wires connect to the IC Igniter(if the bike has the Kawasaki supplied electronic ignition) it actually gives the coils their grounds to fire the sparkplugs.

Primary(small wires) side of the coils will read between 1.8 to 3.0 ohms.

Secondary(sparkplug wire ports)side of the coil will read between 10.4K to 15.6K ohms. These ports are wired together, so it makes no difference which is used, as long as the correct coil to sparkplug configuration is followed.

The sparkplug caps should read 5K OHMS, any higher, or a reading of infinity means new caps should be ordered.

To stress the ignition coils, take a hair dryer, heat the coils and see if the ohm readings change from cold to hot . If they do, it’s time to buy new coils.
Keep in mind, the wiring is reversed for the 550’s 650‘s and 750‘s, that is the RIGHT coil primary will be two wires, RED and BLACK with the secondary(sparkplugs) going to #1 and #4.

Your primary wiring may be different in color.

The LEFT coils primary wiring would be again two wires, RED and GREEN, with the secondary(sparkplugs) going to #2 and #3.

These engines have what is known as a “Wasted Spark” that is, a sparkplug will fire during an exhaust stroke. It does no damage and many other motorcycle engines have this design.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
18 Jun 2011 15:41 #458038 by MFolks
I'd do a plug check and see how the sparkplugs are burning(of course the gas/alcohol mix can be hard to read).

1982 GPZ1100 B2

More
18 Jun 2011 17:55 #458063 by apbling
Yeah, I had the red going to one terminal on one coil, and the opposite on the other... oops. I did smell some electrical hot smell, but shut it down immediately.

More
18 Jun 2011 18:51 #458067 by MFolks
Learning new and colorful ways to curse? Working on a bike can have get so mad you can't see straight sometimes.If when you get mad, just walk away and do something else if possible. Come back to the project when you've cooled down.

I've learned not to throw things when angered,as it get's expensive replacing smashed tools & bike parts!

1982 GPZ1100 B2

More
18 Jun 2011 21:53 - 18 Jun 2011 21:54 #458087 by apbling
Amen to that. Walking away is hard. I'm used to growing up in the country where you can curse as loud as you want. Now I own a house in a pleasant little subdivision, complete with nice families and little kids... hehe.

Anyway, here is my handywork. Everything seems to be ok, except my 1 and 2 header seems to be a golden color on the first bend. Can't remember if that was that way of if its new. I only ran around for 10 min with it, so I can't think it blued that quickly. Plug looked fine...

Also, I like how there is a couple spots of rust on the coil mount things after washing it.
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Jun 2011 21:54 by apbling.

More
19 Jun 2011 00:21 #458124 by MFolks
I'd do a plug check looking for a lean condition. To prevent rusting on the iron laminations, go to a local electrical supply place and get some brush on Glyptal (Glyptol?). It's high temperature paint designed for transformer assembly. It will air dry quickly, sealing the laminations(you'll probably need to have them out for a good job.

Here's the Glytal specs:
www.caswellplating.com/aids/glyptal.html

I bought a small amount at a surplus store(1 oz) some years ago.

1982 GPZ1100 B2

More
30 Jun 2011 23:37 #460386 by apbling
Hello again fellas.

So, got about 150 miles on my new coils. So far so good. However, today I was once again tinkering with the slack on my cam chain. When I touched my wrench to the APE tensioner bolt, I thought I saw the smallest of little sparks. Like a static electricity spark. maybe smaller. I thought I was seeing things. I moved my wrench around again and got it to do it again. Then after that I couldn't make it do it. Now, the bike runs fine. I don't hear/see any arcs or other issues. I only saw this because the garage was dimly light in the dusk of night. What does this mean?