Fitting Dyna Coils under tank?! 1980 750-4

More
17 Jun 2011 15:57 #457806 by apbling
Replied by apbling on topic Fitting Dyna Coils under tank?! 1980 750-4
good point. I'm a little concerned with vibrations too...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jun 2011 15:59 #457807 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Fitting Dyna Coils under tank?! 1980 750-4
If after you're happy with the mounting of the ignition coils,think about putting a ty wrap or two around the coils securing them against the frame members as a redundant means for vibration restraint.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
17 Jun 2011 16:00 #457808 by apbling
whats ty wrap? the nylon zipper ties?

More
17 Jun 2011 16:08 - 17 Jun 2011 16:11 #457810 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Fitting Dyna Coils under tank?! 1980 750-4

apbling wrote: Well, I don't want to drill on the coils... BUT, I'm thinking if I get some L brackts and I got some 1" flat stock already I can make my own bracket that holds the coil with the terminals pointing downwards and maybe more tucked into the frame.

I like this plan. Use steel for magnetic reasons. It will provide higher inductance in the coil.
Heavier the better on the bracket to protect from vibration.
Last edit: 17 Jun 2011 16:11 by loudhvx.

• RaeRae
  • User
  • Smart @ss white girl!
More
17 Jun 2011 16:11 #457812 by RaeRae
Replied by RaeRae on topic Fitting Dyna Coils under tank?! 1980 750-4

apbling wrote: ok, anyway....

Anyone got any ideas/advice or better, pics of how I can go about mounting MY coils on MY bike?

Sorry to be rude, but please start your own thread if you have your own questions.

WoW....sorry, I was hoping since it appears you already installed the Dyna-s I might get some feedback about them. I had already read through several other Dyna-s threads, and didn't want to be redundant on the MB with starting another one.

My bad....

OWN:
82 KZ550 LTD (work in progress)
81 550 GPz (work in progress)
81 KZ550A (parts bike)
91 750 Honda Nighthawk
WANT:
One in every size and color! =)
Euharlee, GA by way of Glendale, AZ

More
17 Jun 2011 16:14 #457814 by loudhvx

RaeRae wrote:

apbling wrote: ok, anyway....

Anyone got any ideas/advice or better, pics of how I can go about mounting MY coils on MY bike?

Sorry to be rude, but please start your own thread if you have your own questions.

WoW....sorry, I was hoping since it appears you already installed the Dyna-s I might get some feedback about them. I had already read through several other Dyna-s threads, and didn't want to be redundant on the MB with starting another one.

My bad....

He is installing Dyna coils, not the Dyna S.

There are many threads on KZ550 ignitions and starting problems.

But to get better responses for KZ550 starting/running issues, it would be better to start a dedicated thread.

• RaeRae
  • User
  • Smart @ss white girl!
More
17 Jun 2011 16:30 #457821 by RaeRae
Replied by RaeRae on topic Fitting Dyna Coils under tank?! 1980 750-4
my bad.....

See told ya I was still in the learning curve of this whole mess!

Thanks and sorry again....

Rae

OWN:
82 KZ550 LTD (work in progress)
81 550 GPz (work in progress)
81 KZ550A (parts bike)
91 750 Honda Nighthawk
WANT:
One in every size and color! =)
Euharlee, GA by way of Glendale, AZ

More
17 Jun 2011 16:52 - 17 Jun 2011 16:53 #457825 by apbling

loudhvx wrote:

apbling wrote: Well, I don't want to drill on the coils... BUT, I'm thinking if I get some L brackts and I got some 1" flat stock already I can make my own bracket that holds the coil with the terminals pointing downwards and maybe more tucked into the frame.

I like this plan. Use steel for magnetic reasons. It will provide higher inductance in the coil.
Heavier the better on the bracket to protect from vibration.

Those little brackets you get from walmart or whatever...those are galvanized steel right?

Explain this inductance thing...I chose chemical engineering, not electrical :)
Last edit: 17 Jun 2011 16:53 by apbling.

More
17 Jun 2011 18:26 #457830 by loudhvx
The coil, while it's charging, and before any spark occurs, is basically a big electromagnet. The energy it stores is dependent on the inductance of the coil, and the amount of current in the coil. By giving the magnetic flux an easier path to travel through, the inductance of the coil is increased. This is done by giving the flux lines a path of ferrous metal. By mounting the core of the coil using steel hardware, a loop is created for the magnetic flux lines.

If you mount the coils with straps that don't touch the core, as is sometimes done, the coil will not hold as much energy. The difference is very slight, and may not have much affect at higher RPMs, (actually if you notice much difference in the bike with small differences of spark energy, then there are other porblems with the bike).

This is just a very brief description. There are many other little details related to changing the inductance of a coil.

More
17 Jun 2011 19:22 #457850 by apbling
so, lets say that a nut fell off one of the mounting bolts to the coil. The bolt stayed in the hole and the other bolt was ok, would this cause a problem? Because, when I pulled my coils off, I was missing a mounting nut.

More
17 Jun 2011 22:58 #457900 by apbling
Just did some more measuring before I tackle this job tomorrow and man oh man, it's gonna be a tight squeeze.

It is ok if my spark plug wires come into contact with the cam cover, correct? (I'd assume it's designed to not melt, but I don't want to find out).

More
17 Jun 2011 23:35 #457910 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Fitting Dyna Coils under tank?! 1980 750-4
I'd say try to get the maximum clearance away from the cam cover. The high energy spark will try to go to ground. The worst will be no spark at the cylinder that's grounded out. It might affect the coil operation too.

It's hot environment under the tank where the coils live, material expands when heated, so I don't see the sparkplug wires(especially the grounded one or two) surviving long as it's probably going to arc and sound like pre-ignition.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)