Commercial Rectifier

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
07 Jun 2011 17:16 #455971 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Commercial Rectifier

Motor Head wrote: Have a look at it, first the paragraph form KAW, then the circuit. AC made, rectified, then regulated.

I think all the Automotive stuff would be just like it.

Cool - I don't know enough to be sure, all I know is that on my Kz900 the three wires from the alternator go into both the regulator and the rectifier. So it looked to me like the regulator was on the AC side.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jun 2011 19:00 - 07 Jun 2011 19:04 #455984 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Commercial Rectifier
The type of regulator on the KZ's with permanent magnet alternators are shunt regulators. They shunt the positive pulse of the AC coming from the alternator. The regulator will regulate even without a rectifier, as long as the brown wire on the regulator is somehow getting over 14v (average).

Since it only shunts the positive side of the signal, one could argue it is a DC regulator, but since it is acting on a purely AC signal, one could also argue it is a type of AC regulator. It acts on the AC side to control the DC side. Is ice just frozen water, or is water just melted ice?

Here is a type of AC regulator designed for purely AC systems. It is not a shunt regulator, but what I call a clipping regulator. home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/GPZweb/RegRec/GPZacRegulator.html

Even though it is meant for AC signals, it can also work for DC signals. However, it is an extremely wasteful way of regulating power/voltage, and generates a lot of heat, so only has very limited real-world applications.

I'm glad that 3-bridge rectifier worked out for you DoubleDub. I wish that all-in-one 3-phase rectifier had been available 15 years ago, though.
Last edit: 07 Jun 2011 19:04 by loudhvx.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
07 Jun 2011 19:17 #455986 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Commercial Rectifier
are all reg/ recs basicaly the same with dif wireing plugs for each ap?
my son needs 1 for his Susuki 700 king quad. would i be able to adapt 1 easily ?

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
07 Jun 2011 19:53 #455993 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Commercial Rectifier
you guys makemy head hurt! :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.