Timing Light Not Working with Dyna Copper Core

More
18 May 2011 10:40 #451884 by rcarver
Yeah I hope so too!! the guys at Z1 said they are confident it will work with copper core and that if it doesn't then they want to know right away and they would allow me to return it (and cover shipping)....those guys are great!

1979 KZ650 SR (aka: Stella Blue)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2011 12:11 - 18 May 2011 12:13 #451896 by RedlineJunkie
Replied by RedlineJunkie on topic Timing Light Not Working with Dyna Copper Core
I'm not suprised that that the T light won't work with copper core core wires. It's all about how the inductive pickup on the cable is sheilded.

I've had a digital Snap-on advance T light for years and it was big bucks when I bought it in the late 80's when I was a bike mechanic. Eventually, the inductive pickup crapped out so I gave it to my grilfriend at the time (she's a BMW master mechanic) and had her give it to her dealer for a refurb. When I got it back, the pickup was changed out to cheaper style, but it worked fine on all my cars. I hooked it up to my KZ1000 after installing a dyna S just yesterday and sure enough, it freaked out giving very scattered readings and then just refused to work.

Luckily, I was at a pawn shop a few months earlier and picked up a mid-80's Sun tune up kit (All made in USA) complete with a vacuum gauge, compression tester, a desktop dwell meter and a hefty timing light complete in a big plastic suitcase for 40 bucks. Sure enough, the light and the timing were dead on accurate.
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 May 2011 12:13 by RedlineJunkie.

More
18 May 2011 13:41 #451911 by dshelly
Thats funny, I have a sunpro made by actron and it works on my copper wires on my 900ltd. Of coarse mine is about 20yrs old. I guess that's new technology for ya.

'77 Kz1000B1
'78 Kz1000A2
'76 Kz900LTD

More
18 May 2011 22:43 - 18 May 2011 22:45 #452011 by loudhvx
I'm pretty sure I've used my 20-year old Actron on something with copper wires and it worked.

New stuff uses too much digital electronics which is much more sensitive to RFI.

I bought an analog meter a few years ago because it was the only meter that would work on my buddy's RD400 with solid wires. 3 other digital ones just went whacky.
Last edit: 18 May 2011 22:45 by loudhvx.