Oil light.

More
11 May 2011 18:57 #450351 by kmcdon3960
Oil light. was created by kmcdon3960
So I just got my new used kz650 ('78).

It runs great so far and seems to be a pretty solid bike, and I want to make sure that it keeps running great.

On that note, I had a simple question about the oil light. It doesn't come on.
I'm assuming that it should probably come on when the ignition is on, but the engine is off, but it doesn't.

I've pulled the ignition cover and grounded out the wire, and that does cause the light to come on, which leads me to believe that the switch/sending unit is bad, but on every other vehicle I've worked on, the oil sending unit usually fails to the "on" or "closed" position.

I just wanted to check to make sure that it should infact come on before starting the engine before I go buy a new one.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
11 May 2011 22:34 #450393 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Oil light.
You are correct the light should come on at key on engine off, then go out upon starting the engine. If you ground the wire from the switch and the light comes on, then I would replace the oil pressure switch.
Good first post and welcome to KZR lots of god info and help here. :)

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
12 May 2011 08:51 - 12 May 2011 08:51 #450462 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Oil light.

Motor Head wrote: You are correct the light should come on at key on engine off, then go out upon starting the engine. If you ground the wire from the switch and the light comes on, then I would replace the oil pressure switch.
Good first post and welcome to KZR lots of god info and help here. :)

+1
I had the same problem with my 750. If you remove the wire to the switch, ground it and the dashlight comes on then that is the diagnostic test given in the Haynes manual for a dud switch. If same as the 750 then easy to replace using the right socket. 26mm I think, maybe 27.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Last edit: 12 May 2011 08:51 by JR.

More
13 May 2011 12:19 #450704 by kmcdon3960
Replied by kmcdon3960 on topic Oil light.
Thanks guys, That's what I thought, just wanted to make sure.

Found one on the cheap so hopefully that'll do the trick.