'82 KZ750N Electrical Updated Problem(4/1/11)

More
30 Mar 2011 17:17 - 01 Apr 2011 11:43 #441456 by kparrott
I'm having electrical problems with my KZ750 Spectre. When I got the bike it ran, I heard it run when I picked it up. But it had to be hot wired somehow? The right hand control had some kind of issue, the red wire was clipped and wires on the starter solenoid were clipped and random wires were attached places.

I got rid of that and got a new run/stop control and solenoid. But I can't get the bike to even turn over. The battery and brand new and fully charged, the solenoid is getting power... What do I check next?? The only think I've taken off is the gauges...

I'll try to get more info on how the previous owner started it...

New Problem, when I pull the clutch but bike tries to start? Could I have the lead to the starter solenoid mixed? Any other ideas?
Last edit: 01 Apr 2011 11:43 by kparrott.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2011 17:23 #441458 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic '82 KZ750N Electrical Problems
What year? This website has information listed for many bikes in an area called "Filebase".
Take your cursor and click in the upper right hand corner of the page where it's located.

After a list of years comes up, find your bike's wiring diagram. If no luck, www.wgcarbs.com has a similar forum and bike information.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
30 Mar 2011 17:25 #441459 by kparrott
Replied by kparrott on topic '82 KZ750N Electrical Problems

MFolks wrote: What year? This website has information listed for many bikes in an area called "Filebase".
Take your cursor and click in the upper right hand corner of the page where it's located.

After a list of years comes up, find your bike's wiring diagram. If no luck, www.wgcarbs.com has a similar forum and bike information.

I have the wiring diagram on the website, I believe everything is hooked up correctly. I just have no idea where to start looking. My previous two bikes have just required cleaning the carbs, this is my first fight is electrical issues.

More
30 Mar 2011 17:31 #441460 by MFolks
Troubleshooting a hacked up wiring bundle can be a hair pulling time. If possible try to get a good used harness and replace your old one.

Here's a list of websites to look at:

www.oldkawman.com
www.oldkaw.com

Motorcycle Salvage Companies
www.cycle-salvage.com
www.motorcycle-recycle-center.com/
www.newrivercyclesalvage.com/index.html
www.bornagainbikes.net/
www.motolane.com/

1982 GPZ1100 B2

More
31 Mar 2011 17:11 #441723 by kparrott
MFolks,

I think I have the wiring straight, it was just the handle control and solenoid that had weird things going on. I've replaced both...

Where do you start testing for problems is my question? I've got juice from the battery to the solenoid. I just don't know where to go from there...

More
31 Mar 2011 17:26 #441729 by MFolks
The right handlebar switch pod has the start button along with the run/stop switch. The start circuit is seperate from the ignition circuit, that is the engine can turn over but not run if the ignition system is not operational.

I'd look inside the headlight housing to see if the wiring has been changed or hacked up as a majorty of connections are there. They will join with other connectors going to the main wiring harness/bundle.

1982 GPZ1100 B2

More
31 Mar 2011 17:43 #441735 by MFolks
I'd imagine your bike has some similar wiring when compared to mine, so looking at the wiring diagram for the right handlebar switches, I see a six pin connector that has the following wires:

1.Front brake switch(BROWN, & BLUE with RED stripe).

2.Engine stop switch(RED, & YELLOW with RED stripe).

3.Start switch(2 BLACK wires).

I'd trace them back from the switch pod. looking for damaged or pinched wires, also your bike probably has the starter interlock switch. The starter won't work unless the clutch lever is squeezed (I got tired of this on my bike and jumpered past it).

1982 GPZ1100 B2

More
31 Mar 2011 17:47 #441737 by kparrott
Don't you hate when you overlook something super simple?! It really makes you feel dumb...

First time this happened to me was my first bike, a 1980 Suzuki GS550E... After cleaning and cleaning the carbs and looking for problems, turns out the vacuum line from the carbs to the petcock was the problem...

And now act two... I've been looking and searching for this electrical problem for about a week. I looked through every electrical connection and studied the wiring diagram a ton! Today I got in the headlight and started looking around to make sure connections are good. I stopped to look at the connections by the battery and notice two connections up by the triple tree under the gas tank were disconnected. I plugged them in and BOOM! Lights! I hit the start button and it turned over! I didn't try to start it because its in my apartment, but I'll be taking it outside and seeing what happens soon!

Slightly embarrassing, but lesson learned!

More
31 Mar 2011 17:55 #441738 by MFolks
Never beat yourself up for simple things, it's usually this type that we all miss when troubleshooting electrical problems. Post back if you have any other problems...

1982 GPZ1100 B2

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
31 Mar 2011 18:12 #441739 by Proxy
Replied by Proxy on topic '82 KZ750N Electrical Problems
What always amazes me is whenever you are looking for something...it's ALWAYS in the last place you look. So if you just learn to look in the last place first you can save a lot of time and aggravation. I trimmed that gas line 3 times and it's still too short!

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

More
11 Apr 2011 12:14 #444055 by kparrott
Ok everyone, my problem hasn't been fixed. When I pull the clutch the bike kicks over once or twice then stops. I'm not sure what the cable is called, but it is the cable that runs into the left hand control by the clutch cable and it clips in, that is broke and won't stay in place. Could that be the cause of my problems? Or any other ideas?

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
11 Apr 2011 12:28 #444059 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic '82 KZ750N Electrical Problems
If you are talking about the wiring at the left handlebar switch, under the bar level, that should be the clutch interlock switch. This needs to have contact, connection between the two wires, for the starter to operate.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...