'82 KZ750N Electrical Updated Problem(4/1/11)

More
11 Apr 2011 16:51 #444102 by kparrott
Replied by kparrott on topic '82 KZ750N Electrical Problems

Motor Head wrote: If you are talking about the wiring at the left handlebar switch, under the bar level, that should be the clutch interlock switch. This needs to have contact, connection between the two wires, for the starter to operate.

The starter turns over, but not when I hit the start button. If the right hand control is on run and I pull the clutch, the bike tries to start.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Apr 2011 17:13 #444104 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic '82 KZ750N Electrical Problems
Open up the right handlebar switch pod and see if a wire is being bridged in the start switch. The bike should not try to start unless the clutch lever is squeezed,igniton switch is on, and the start switch pushed.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
11 Apr 2011 20:17 #444145 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic '82 KZ750N Electrical Problems

kparrott wrote:

Motor Head wrote: If you are talking about the wiring at the left handlebar switch, under the bar level, that should be the clutch interlock switch. This needs to have contact, connection between the two wires, for the starter to operate.

The starter turns over, but not when I hit the start button. If the right hand control is on run and I pull the clutch, the bike tries to start.

Well thats not right, Duh, maybe the wires are incorrectly attached. It sounds like every time you pull in the clutch it is operating the starter? Any of the later wiring diagrams will have the starter and left hand control schematic. It should take both the clutch pulled in and the start button contact to engage the solenoid.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
11 Apr 2011 20:20 #444146 by kparrott
Replied by kparrott on topic '82 KZ750N Electrical Problems

MFolks wrote: Open up the right handlebar switch pod and see if a wire is being bridged in the start switch. The bike should not try to start unless the clutch lever is squeezed,igniton switch is on, and the start switch pushed.

Everything looks good, its a new switch pod that I just put on the bike. I've also put a starter solenoid on if that could be a problem if the wires were switched? I don't really know, it doesn't continue to turn over when I pull the clutch, it just kicks in then stops? The wiring looks good, no splices.

I have no idea what the problem is :blink: