wiring question

More
05 Mar 2011 21:19 #435392 by Frankn9
Replied by Frankn9 on topic wiring question
I'm pretty sure that cable should not be there, get rid of it and move on. some people feel that because the electrical panel is mounted in rubber bushings that they need an extra ground.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• stonemaster
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
05 Mar 2011 21:29 #435395 by stonemaster
Replied by stonemaster on topic wiring question
Frankn9 wrote:

I'm pretty sure that cable should not be there, get rid of it and move on. some people feel that because the electrical panel is mounted in rubber bushings that they need an extra ground.

AGREED THANX B)

• stonemaster
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
06 Mar 2011 10:00 #435502 by stonemaster
I dug out the old wiring harness in an effort to understand, I rediscovered some of the issues possibly causing the extra ground. A couple of the connector block in the wiring panel appeared to have been burnt pins in them, these had been bypassed into the harness wiring. I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that a ground problem cause a partial frying of the wiring hence the addition of the extra ground, i am now considering using this extra ground as a precaution, thoughts ???

• jjdwoodman
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
More
06 Mar 2011 18:18 #435717 by jjdwoodman
Replied by jjdwoodman on topic wiring question
If you have it cleaned up good, I would think it wouldn't be needed, but really, what could it hurt as long as you know why it's there and don't use it as a crutch not to keep everything bonded good? And besides, then if you lose your pos. cable you have a spare already bolted to the frame.:laugh:

77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager

• stonemaster
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
06 Mar 2011 18:40 #435723 by stonemaster
jjdwoodman wrote:

If you have it cleaned up good, I would think it wouldn't be needed, but really, what could it hurt as long as you know why it's there and don't use it as a crutch not to keep everything bonded good? And besides, then if you lose your pos. cable you have a spare already bolted to the frame.:laugh:

funny u should say that, I know guys that ride Ironeads that run the second throttle cable just in case they break one out on the road ;)

• jjdwoodman
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
More
06 Mar 2011 19:37 #435740 by jjdwoodman
Replied by jjdwoodman on topic wiring question
Yep, I've seen those! How long till you think you'll be driving that spare wire around?

77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager