wiring question

• stonemaster
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
05 Mar 2011 18:51 #435331 by stonemaster
wiring question was created by stonemaster
this is what I've been working on, about done :P

I'll preface by saying the PO did the most unreal wiring bastardization I've ever seen. I got a new harness for Z1. I have one wire I cannot figure out. It is a heavy gauge black wire which looks like it had attached to the battery in the past. Here it is

one end is attached to the clamp which holds the solenoid/relay to the wiring plate, the other end has a connection that looks like it hooked to the battery, I looped it over in the photo so u could see both ends. this is not the battery negative to frame ground cable as that one is accounted for, I've wired a few bike and I have also checked a couple of different wiring diagrams and cannot figure this one out, :blink: please advise

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2011 19:10 #435341 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic wiring question
Heavy gauge wires(cables) on a bike go only so many places:

1.The battery Negative(-) cable going to usually an engine mounting bolt.

2.The battery Positive(+) cable going to two places:

A.From the Plus terminal to one of the posts of the starter solenoid.

B.From the other post of the starter solenoid to the starter motor.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• stonemaster
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
05 Mar 2011 19:16 #435343 by stonemaster
Replied by stonemaster on topic wiring question
those are all accounted for, the cable shown was attached by previous owner and was there when the bike was disassembled and attached as shown :(

More
05 Mar 2011 19:21 #435347 by MFolks
What's the origination of the mystery cable? It might be something the PO installed for a quick battery charge(a bad idea as motorcycle batteries should not be charged at more than 1.25 amps, or you risk warping plates and boiling the fluid).

1982 GPZ1100 B2

• stonemaster
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
05 Mar 2011 19:27 - 05 Mar 2011 19:28 #435351 by stonemaster
I'm not sure, the end you see attached to the solenoid was there when the bike was purchased, the other end must have attached to the battery but I cant fugure out why , it isnt the battery to frame ground, (that one if off to the side out of the picture)
Last edit: 05 Mar 2011 19:28 by stonemaster.

More
05 Mar 2011 19:30 #435354 by hal0tw0
Replied by hal0tw0 on topic wiring question
99% sure he added a second ground cable seeing as how it was mounted to a frame bolt. maybe went to the engine or battery. Cant be to grounded :laugh:

1976 KA900. VM28 pumper carbs, K&N pod fiters, RC performace 4/1 exhaust, Dyna ignition, Accel coils and wires, Ohlins rear shocks.....more to come

More
05 Mar 2011 19:33 #435356 by MFolks
To be safe when trying to figure mystery wiring, always disconnect the Negative(-) battery terminal.

This way, if a short to ground is accomplished, there won't be any sparks,flames, and demonstrations similar to arc welding.

Even a bike battery rated at 16 amps/hour can burn wiring and cause fires.

1982 GPZ1100 B2

• stonemaster
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
05 Mar 2011 19:35 #435358 by stonemaster
nope that bolt holds the plate to the battery box , I cant figure out why it would go from solenoid casing to battery negative

• stonemaster
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
05 Mar 2011 19:36 #435360 by stonemaster
MFolks wrote:

To be safe when trying to figure mystery wiring, always disconnect the Negative(-) battery terminal.

This way, if a short to ground is accomplished, there won't be any sparks,flames, and demonstrations similar to arc welding.

Even a bike battery rated at 16 amps/hour can burn wiring and cause fires.

the battery is under the table :blink:

More
05 Mar 2011 19:42 #435362 by hal0tw0
Replied by hal0tw0 on topic wiring question
stonemaster wrote:

nope that bolt holds the plate to the battery box , I cant figure out why it would go from solenoid casing to battery negative

seeing as a lot of electrical parts are connected to the box, he wanted an extra ground as insurance maybe?

1976 KA900. VM28 pumper carbs, K&N pod fiters, RC performace 4/1 exhaust, Dyna ignition, Accel coils and wires, Ohlins rear shocks.....more to come

• stonemaster
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
05 Mar 2011 19:50 #435363 by stonemaster
maybe, here's an idea, if someone near their bike could check under there sidecover and see if they have something similar and let me know (any 70's KZ would do)I'm guessing the was done to compensate for some of the extreme bastardization done to the previous wiring, I'll probably then remove it and go frome there. I just dont want to jepordize and brand new wiring harness

• stonemaster
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
05 Mar 2011 20:11 - 05 Mar 2011 20:12 #435369 by stonemaster
hal0tw0 wrote:

99% sure he added a second ground cable seeing as how it was mounted to a frame bolt. maybe went to the engine or battery. Cant be to grounded :laugh:

after changing from beer to vodka ( the kids are gone on sleepovers) and studying all possibilities I'm leaning towards the extra ground theory, why is a good question but like I said it was butchered so much it probably needed it, thanx for the input,
Last edit: 05 Mar 2011 20:12 by stonemaster.