Making turn signals from scratch

More
24 Jan 2011 08:11 #424938 by JonZweifel
Replied by JonZweifel on topic Making turn signals from scratch
Still no luck!!

Went to radioshack and swapped for the 10ohm, didnt work. Tried putting all five of the 10ohm resistors in the circuit, still no luck. I even went to a stove I have that works but i was going to scrap, found the resistors on it, and pulled the biggest on i could find, tried it and no luck.

And I tested the flasher with a normal light after all this the flasher DOES still work, do you think resistors are not what I need?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
24 Jan 2011 10:15 - 24 Jan 2011 14:20 #424965 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Making turn signals from scratch
Well you need to add load/ wattage or current to your circuit for that flasher to flash. That is what it will take, unless you get a different flasher. Why with a 10 OHM resistor it doesn't work, well it must not see enough wattage across the relay. Inside the relay there will be a Bi-metal bar in a semi-circle that heats up with the current flowing throw it, then it changes shape and allows spring tension to move the contacts. Once it moves the current is re-routed, the Bi-metal bar is cooled, and click it returns, all to do it over again. Now with out that draw it does not move, so Basically no flashing.
Try calling the tech help line at that link, explain you bought they relay, have it wired, but even trying resistors it is not behaving. See if they have a simple solution. I would have thought a 6 or 10 OHM would have done it. Maybe you need a 4 OHM?

Edit: I've asked member Loudhvx to have a look at it for you, he is a busy man so it won't be right away. But he says if you have the correct relay, you should not need any resistors. It would help a lot if you get together the LED bulb info, what are they? How many are there in each side of your signals, and even if its crude a drawing of your wiring.
Wait and see what he says I guess.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Last edit: 24 Jan 2011 14:20 by Motor Head.

More
24 Jan 2011 16:25 #425083 by JonZweifel
Ok, im atattching a drawing of my circuit.

And there are two strips of 24 LED's, both strips are 12V
Attachments:

• jjdwoodman
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
More
24 Jan 2011 19:40 #425193 by jjdwoodman
Replied by jjdwoodman on topic Making turn signals from scratch
If you use a heavy duty car relay it should work Those relays use a timer rather than a bimetal switch. What they're for is so your flashers don't blink fast when you're pulling a trailer with a lot of lights, but the flasher always works at the same speed regarless of load.

77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager

• jjdwoodman
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
More
24 Jan 2011 19:45 - 24 Jan 2011 19:47 #425194 by jjdwoodman
Replied by jjdwoodman on topic Making turn signals from scratch

77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager
Last edit: 24 Jan 2011 19:47 by jjdwoodman.

More
25 Jan 2011 09:35 - 25 Jan 2011 11:08 #425353 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Making turn signals from scratch
That Tridon EP27 is a specialized flasher. It is designed to use the same pair of bulbs as hazards and turn signals.

Since you are only using them for turn signals, I think you can do away with the constant positive source.

Here's a how the ep 27 is to be wired according to a site I found.
(Same one Motorhead found)

The small black and white diagram is unclear on the switching, and the color diagram seems to have a connection missing to the permanent, positive source (B). But I think that is just a mistake, since on cars, the hazards work with the key off.
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Jan 2011 11:08 by loudhvx.

More
25 Jan 2011 10:31 - 25 Jan 2011 10:35 #425362 by loudhvx
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Jan 2011 10:35 by loudhvx.

More
25 Jan 2011 10:36 - 25 Jan 2011 10:54 #425363 by loudhvx
So the bottom line is, according to your diagram, you have it wired correctly. Here is the one change I would make. It eliminates the positive and replaces it with power from the ignition switch.

EDIT: This is all, by the way, pretty much the same thing Motorhead suggested so far, so at least we're on the same page.

What is strange is that if you really have 12 LEDs in each strip, and they are bright, then they should draw enough for the flasher to detect the load. I haven't used that exact flasher, but I've used similar electronic flashers that work with as little as .1A load.

With the flasher out, and just the switch hooked up, do the LEDs look bright?
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Jan 2011 10:54 by loudhvx.

More
25 Jan 2011 10:55 #425369 by loudhvx
The flasher I've used in the past was a Wagner model 7060, but I haven't seen them available for some time.

Here are my notes on them.

Attachments:

More
25 Jan 2011 11:02 #425372 by loudhvx
This is the resistor suggestion, but a decent flasher should not need this.

Attachments:

More
26 Jan 2011 18:57 #425900 by JonZweifel
@ Motor Head AND Loudhvx:

Thanks guys!! I FINALLY just got it.

Motorhead was correct all along, but it wasnt untill I saw loudhvx's diagram that I realized I've been hooking up the resistors the wrong way the whole time!

I was making the resistor a break in the positive line I wasn't connecting the resistor to a ground at all!

-__-

Thanks again guys!!

And loudhvx, you were right it did work without the direct positive feed to the flasher but they were SO dim, hooked up the direct positive feed to the flasher and they were REALLY bright so I left it connected

More
26 Jan 2011 19:37 #425914 by tooocool49723
Replied by tooocool49723 on topic Making turn signals from scratch
Sweet! Now, Pics!

'82 KZ550 "Project"
First bike, 30k miles

Ann Arbor, Mi