Making turn signals from scratch

More
13 Jan 2011 14:32 #421912 by JonZweifel
Making turn signals from scratch was created by JonZweifel
Ok so I have an 82 kz550 that has been stripped down and bobbed out. There are no factory parts left from the turn signals at all. I have already created a turn signal circuit that I thought would work but it unfortunately does not :/ This is the best diagram I can give of the circuit I created:

Battery(+)--12V Flasher--Switch--LED Strip
Battery(-)--LED Strip

The 12V flasher is one with only two prongs(not the three prong ones used for dimmers and such) and the switch is a simple on off switch but instead of flipping one way or the other it has a left, right, and center position(center being off). Both were picked up from autozone.

The circuit is complete. I know this because when I flip the switch left the left LED strip comes on and when I flip it right the right LED strip comes on, the problem is they arn't blinking. After some research I found out that the flashers needed a certain amount of power to make them flash and thought the LED's might not be drawing enough power but the guy told me when I went back that isnt how flashers are made anymore and the newer ones didnt have a minimum of power that needed to be drawn through them to make them flash.

Im not very knowledgeable about circuitry but Im a quick learner and I have figured out the rest of the electrical issues the bike had. Just need some help. Any suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2011 14:47 #421913 by Nebr_Rex
Replied by Nebr_Rex on topic Making turn signals from scratch
test with a non led bulb

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

More
13 Jan 2011 15:00 #421917 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Making turn signals from scratch
The LED's do not have enough current draw like a regular bulb does to make the flasher work.

Most auto parts stores sell LED rated flashers(that might work for both type of bulb/led circuits).

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
13 Jan 2011 15:07 #421919 by JonZweifel
Replied by JonZweifel on topic Making turn signals from scratch
Ok thanks guys, I will test it with a normal bulb when I get home. Also I was just talking to a guy who said something about getting "resistors"? I used the "" because im not 100 percent thats what he said, that would make them draw more power, or atleast trick the flasher into thinking more power was being drawn? Does that sound like it might be a possible fix for it?

More
13 Jan 2011 15:37 #421925 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Making turn signals from scratch
Adding resistors will increase the curent draw also lowering the light output, so if you want to test the circuit in a mock up to see if it's workable, you can do this without adding wiring and other work to the bike.

A 12 volt power source, the 4 turn signals,flasher relay, directional switch and wiring might be all you'll need to prove out the circuit.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
21 Jan 2011 12:41 #424136 by JonZweifel
Ok guys so this is where im at, I went to an advanced auto parts and an autozone and neither had resistors for sale.. -__, BUT, while I was at autozone I was looking around and found a TRIDON EP27 electronic flasher that says "LED Compatible" right on the back. Just got home and tried it, and no luck.

Here is a schematic of the connection terminals on the flasher:

L = Lamp
H = Hazard
E = Negative
I = Ignition
B = Positive

(The same schematic was on the back of the package and listed what each letter was)

The flasher is between the battery and a simple on off switch (that has left right and center, center being off) which the goes to the left/right LED lights.

I have tried all of the following once with the negative hooked to the battery and once without:

-positive to battery, lamp to switch
-positive to battery, hazard to switch

I have also tried these combinations with ignition hooked to ignition (with the key on of course)

The back of the package's description reads:

Electronic Flasher
For Turn Signal or Hazard Warning
DOT Approved
Variable Load-2 Turn-6 Hazard
LED Compatible

Like i said it is a TRIDON EP27 11-15v DC 5 Terminal

Am i missing something?

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
21 Jan 2011 13:43 - 21 Jan 2011 20:58 #424141 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Making turn signals from scratch
I'll give it a go.
Now that relay pin arrangement is very familiar, but the operation looks a bit different.
L= Lamp
H= Hazard
E= Negative, ground
I= power from Ignition through your turn switch
B= ignition feed 12v, if direct to the battery it may have key off draw. Looks like it is not needed in the schematic I posted.
Have tried it like this? Also the wire coming from your switch, hook it directly to your Lamp, then Hazard wire. Lights on one side turn your switch, lights on other, then Hazards, without flashing. That way you know the circuits are fine, just the flashing relay part to work out.

Oh Radio Shack has resistors if you want to go back to the OEM relay, wouldn't cost much.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Last edit: 21 Jan 2011 20:58 by Motor Head.

More
21 Jan 2011 18:33 #424213 by JonZweifel
@ Motorhead:

Im sorry but I left out a BIG detail. The bike was stripped of all factory lights and light circuits so im literally building the circuit from nothing. I have nothing except two strips of LED's (being used as the turn signals), a simple on off switch from autozone that can go left or right, and the two flashers described above (one regular 2 prong 12v flasher and the other flasher described in my post above with the schematic.

I have no hazard lights or anything, I just want to make the two LED strips blink when they are on.

SO are you saying I shouldnt have positive going to the battery and instead just run it to the ignition?

Also the start button and controlls that were on the handlebars are completely emptied and disconnected,the ignition was a generic one that came with two keys i bought from autozone.

• Motor Head
  • User
More
21 Jan 2011 19:26 - 21 Jan 2011 19:45 #424220 by Motor Head
I think I found a schematic for you from one of the web sites:http://superlumination.com/images/auto_bulbs/ep27_cross_reference_wm.jpg

So hopefully this will set things straight.

You should go back to your profile and add some info to your signature so everyone can see what you got, real easy.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Jan 2011 19:45 by Motor Head.

More
22 Jan 2011 13:10 #424396 by JonZweifel
Right, the way that schematic is layed out is the same way I have everything ran, of course without the hazard switch and hazard lights. But im still getting the same problem, when i flip the switch left the left LED's come on and when I flip it right the right LED's come on, they just dont blink.

• Motor Head
  • User
More
22 Jan 2011 13:15 #424399 by Motor Head
Well I would have to wonder about the wattage rating of the relay vrs the watts of your LED's. Have you tried with both sides of the bike hooked up, so that all 4 corners are through the relay and switch? This will increase load, and maybe it will flash. Or is it possible when trying to get it to work, a wiring mistake burned out the relay?

More
22 Jan 2011 13:29 #424410 by JonZweifel
Oh and I just bought a 5pk of resistors from radioshack and have NO idea how to use them. Any suggestions? Im going to look around google now