Coil Relay Mod w/Big pictures

More
04 Jan 2011 17:11 - 04 Jan 2011 17:11 #420077 by calvin17d
Coil Relay Mod w/Big pictures was created by calvin17d
I found this on another forum and seemed to clear things up quite well over there.

I have an electronic ignition and this article mentions not needing a relay. Can someone dumb down this mod for an electronic ignition?

www.armbell.com/kz400/viewtopic.php?t=10...start=0&mforum=kz400

1976 Kz900 A4
Last edit: 04 Jan 2011 17:11 by calvin17d.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jan 2011 17:35 #420081 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Coil Relay Mod w/Big pictures
You can try asking at www.wgcarbs.com as he has used this electrical modification on some of his bikes.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
04 Jan 2011 17:44 #420083 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Coil Relay Mod w/Big pictures
calvin17d wrote:

I found this on another forum and seemed to clear things up quite well over there.

I have an electronic ignition and this article mentions not needing a relay. Can someone dumb down this mod for an electronic ignition?

www.armbell.com/kz400/viewtopic.php?t=10...start=0&mforum=kz400

Yes..... cure your wiring harness woes instead of putting a band aid on them with this mod ;)

More
04 Jan 2011 18:18 #420086 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Coil Relay Mod w/Big pictures
I've found that using a very good brand of electrical contact cleaner/presevative called "De-Oxit" on switches,and the many and various connectors on my bike, has eliminated the need to add a relay to the ignition coils.

www.deoxit.com is their website, it can be purchased at Radio Shack Stores in the U.S. and other electronic supply places.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
04 Jan 2011 18:30 #420087 by calvin17d
Replied by calvin17d on topic Coil Relay Mod w/Big pictures
I understand this suggestion to be a sidestep to the modification? Do you feel that cleaning and replacing faulty existing(stock)connections would actually produce a system which runs more efficiently than a system with the mod. Similar voltage drop issues are resolved in vehicle headlighting in a similar fashion. Some light research has given me the impression that a simple bypass of the switching devices provides for more efficient delivery of voltage. I am not too concerned with keeping my wiring harness stock for the sake of preserving the bikes innocence. If their is a cost effective way to improve the performance and reduce required maintenance I would be interested to hear more about why "stock" is your preference?

1976 Kz900 A4

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
04 Jan 2011 18:52 #420091 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Coil Relay Mod w/Big pictures
Why are you choosing to do this mod? If it is to "increase performance" you will be sadly disappointed. Most people who do this mod are trying to troubleshoot low voltage problems to the coils and rather than fix the issue, they bypass it. There is no other reason to consider this mod - it's not a magical HP increase.

More
04 Jan 2011 20:03 #420099 by calvin17d
I have not chosen to perform this modification. A closer look at the OP would indicate only that I am seeking further information that I was unable to obtain in the write-ups that I have already read. The abundance of posts regarding this issue would tell me that corrosion and poor connectivity is a common problem in these bikes. I have every intention of going through my wiring during my restoration. I was merely exploring this modification as a potential measure of preventive maintenance for a system which seems prone to poor performance. So far I have received a suggestion for component cleanser and repeated questions as to my intentions with this modification. I thought I had answered this question previously but perhaps you skimmed over it. Cheers....:)

1976 Kz900 A4

More
04 Jan 2011 20:36 #420103 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Coil Relay Mod w/Big pictures
if youve got low voltage to the coils due to bad/dirty connections chances are pretty good you have the same problem with other electrical items on bike,thats why i suggest cleaning all the connections and grounds throughout the system you possibly can to avoid further issues arising.
simple enough? :laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
04 Jan 2011 21:03 #420112 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Coil Relay Mod w/Big pictures
PLUMMEN wrote:

if youve got low voltage to the coils due to bad/dirty connections chances are pretty good you have the same problem with other electrical items on bike,thats why i suggest cleaning all the connections and grounds throughout the system you possibly can to avoid further issues arising.
simple enough? :laugh:

+1

BTW, bikes and cars run a lot of current because the system voltage is only 12V. If you have resistance build up at connectors or switches, it can do more than starve the voltage to systems: it can melt wires and start fires. This is because the resistance at a corroded connection dissipates a lot of power and it will cook the attached wires. You might see melted wires around fuse boxes on old bikes because of this type of heating.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
04 Jan 2011 21:56 #420118 by calvin17d
Thanks for the help guys. Their does not appear to be any major drawback worthy of mention with regard to the modification, except that its a modification...haha. Shortening the current path and reducing voltage drop seemed like enough of a reason to look further. From what these posts say, it sounds like the electrical systems need to be monitored closely and maintained regularly for proper function and to minimize malfunction. That being said, I still dont see how the modification has a downside..........I still see value in the mod even with a clean system, for preventative reasons of course.

1976 Kz900 A4

More
04 Jan 2011 22:23 #420120 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Coil Relay Mod w/Big pictures
no regular monitoring required once you get things cleaned and tightened up unless you live next to a salt factory or the florida coast! :laugh:
it took 20 plus years for it to get in that shape,should be good for many more without need of major repair if done right B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
05 Jan 2011 00:03 - 05 Jan 2011 00:06 #420124 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Coil Relay Mod w/Big pictures
calvin17d wrote:

Thanks for the help guys. Their does not appear to be any major drawback worthy of mention with regard to the modification, except that its a modification...haha. Shortening the current path and reducing voltage drop seemed like enough of a reason to look further. From what these posts say, it sounds like the electrical systems need to be monitored closely and maintained regularly for proper function and to minimize malfunction. That being said, I still dont see how the modification has a downside..........I still see value in the mod even with a clean system, for preventative reasons of course.

My primary objection to the mod is couched in the million relays I have seen fail in my illustrious career in electronics (they are one of the most unreliable electro-mechanical components). Many of them fail with the contacts fused together (won't open) in which case it would leave you with a 12V hot wire attached to the coil with no way to turn it off (unless you start unhooking wires). Main power lines that don't go through the ignition switch make me nervous.....

And if you do decide to put in the mod, make sure you get a very good relay with gold contacts or it will give you grief. BTW: relay contacts also have resistance, you need one rated for at least 20A.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 05 Jan 2011 00:06 by bountyhunter.