kz750 ltd h2 1981 upgrade electronic ignition ques

• angel_uk
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Wildlife Artist and adventurer by any means!
More
31 Aug 2010 09:35 #395207 by angel_uk
hi kzr's guru!

i've a question for the forum please.

i've been given two options to upgrade the bikes ignition system. new sta

1) to a dyna system, which one is recommended please?

or

2) Boyer Bransden system number 301.

has anyone ever used the boyer on.

any advice on which is the best system is greatly appreciated.

many thanks

angel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2010 09:59 - 31 Aug 2010 10:05 #395215 by loudhvx
The Dyna S is what you'd be looking for. Dyna has an unbeatable customer service department and can be recommended on that alone. However, they are across the pond from you. If you can get the Boyer at a good price, and they are near you, then you may want to go with them.

Tech-wise, I believe the Boyer uses electronic advance, which is more sophisticated than the Dyna S. You'll want to confirm that, though.

Please don't throw away the factory ignition parts though. Someone will want them if any of it is in working order, especially the advancer mechanism.
Last edit: 31 Aug 2010 10:05 by loudhvx.

More
31 Aug 2010 11:02 - 31 Aug 2010 11:04 #395223 by Patton
angel_uk wrote:

...i've been given two options to upgrade the bikes ignition system....

In other threads about restoring this bike, there's some mention of weak spark, but not a clear diagnosis of reason for weak spark, which could be from other reasons besides faulty coils or faulty i.c. igniter or faulty pick-ups.
(Or maybe I missed reading something.)

For instance, weak voltage being received at coils (due to old wiring or crusty connectors, etc.) will result in weak spark, regardless of whether a new electronic ignition is installed along with new coils.

In other words, replacing the existing i.c. igniter system and coils with a brand new Dyna-S ignition system, plus brand new Dyna 3 ohm green coils, plus brand new Dyna solid core plug wires, will continue producing a weak spark at the plug tips where there's weak voltage being received at coils for whatever reason.

When functioning as designed, the original equipment Kawasaki i.c. igniter ignition system is an excellent system, and superior in some respects to the Dyna-S.
In such case, the Dyna-S would be a change, but not an "upgrade."

Would suggest confirming that the existing ignition system is faulty beyond feasible redemption, before being bull-dozed into replacing the ignition system.

What is voltage measured across the battery terminals?

What is voltage being actually received at the ignition coils?

Have both high intensity secondary loops (plug cap to plug cap) been checked for any leakage or connection issues or plug cap issues?

Hate to see a good oem ignition system get tossed, for whatever reason.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 31 Aug 2010 11:04 by Patton.