Spark Plugs and Wires

• kz750saskatoon
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Aug 2010 19:27 #394099 by kz750saskatoon
Replied by kz750saskatoon on topic Spark Plugs and Wires
Saki: I plan on putting a Dyna S system on the bike and redo the wiring but that project has to wait for a little while. The wires are an easy, cheap job that may help out a tiny bit.

One of the caps does not match the other three. I'm really not sure how old the cables are or what they have been put through. Mostly just changing them to remove them from equation.

1981 KZ750-H2
Saskatoon, SK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Aug 2010 19:49 #394104 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Spark Plugs and Wires
Most of the available plug caps come with some resistor in then. I try to find the lowest resistor value and I get the plain B8ES plugs and have been doing that for years. No problem

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

• kz750saskatoon
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Aug 2010 08:49 #394231 by kz750saskatoon
Further question. I have seen Spark plug wire crimpers. From my experience on my bike, any connections were just twist on. Can someone explain what these crimpers are for and if I have been doing something wrong on my bike?

1981 KZ750-H2
Saskatoon, SK

More
27 Aug 2010 09:29 - 27 Aug 2010 09:29 #394241 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Spark Plugs and Wires
kz750saskatoon wrote:

Further question. I have seen Spark plug wire crimpers. From my experience on my bike, any connections were just twist on. Can someone explain what these crimpers are for and if I have been doing something wrong on my bike?

For some info, click > www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=2068

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 27 Aug 2010 09:29 by Patton.

More
27 Aug 2010 10:06 - 27 Aug 2010 10:10 #394249 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Spark Plugs and Wires
The resistor can be in one of 3 places like Otakar mentioned (cap or plug or wire). But I don't think it reduces the RF enough to justify using two or more of the three.

The RF generated won't likely affect any of the stock electronics on the bike, but they can affect modern digital electronics. This can be a problem during maintenance. It can make voltmeters go haywire and may affect digital tachometers and even timing lights. (And of course radios
as Steell mentioned.)

My friend with an RD400 has no resistors, and we can only use an analog voltmeter on his bike. His bike made my Fluke meter essentially shut down. Funny, the $4.99 Chinese analog meter saved the day (but it sucks for everything else).

I like the cell jammer idea. I would love an EMP device I could focus at cell phones in cars. :angry:
Last edit: 27 Aug 2010 10:10 by loudhvx.

• kz750saskatoon
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Aug 2010 10:20 #394250 by kz750saskatoon
Patton wrote:

kz750saskatoon wrote:

For some info, click > www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=2068

Right, I had seen things very similar on various sites. I guess my question was do the wires need to be crimped on these bikes. As I mentioned I believe they were just "screwed" on. By that I mean the boots had a little screw looking thing in them. I'll check my bike again to make sure. Obviously crimping is the better way to do it? A short walkthrough (on a V8 car engine) had him crimping only on the distributor cap side. Should the boots be crimped as well?

1981 KZ750-H2
Saskatoon, SK

More
27 Aug 2010 10:38 - 27 Aug 2010 10:44 #394252 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Spark Plugs and Wires
kz750saskatoon wrote:

...question was do the wires need to be crimped on these bikes. As I mentioned I believe they were just "screwed" on. By that I mean the boots had a little screw looking thing in them...Should the boots be crimped as well?

The screw-on caps thread into the plug wire core without any crimping needed.

Where end of the plug wire has become frayed and frazzled, it's okay to snip it back a bit to get a fresh end to screw the cap into for a better and tighten connection.

Before snipping, assure that the plug wire is long enough to continue affording necessary reach to the spark plug.

Many oem Kawasaki coils have the plug wires permanently built into the coil, whereby only the spark plug end is involved with a connection, being where the plug wire attaches to the plug cap.

On aftermarket coils such as Dyna, a fitting is attached to end of the plug wire that pushes into the coil. See image below. These type fittings are often crimped onto the plug wire. The attachment may often be satisfactorily accomplished without needing the crimping tool.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Aug 2010 10:44 by Patton.

More
27 Aug 2010 10:40 #394253 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Spark Plugs and Wires
Like you said, the factory ones have a spike in the caps that sort of screw into the wires.

When you get modern wires, you'll need the crimpers, most likely. Modern setups will use resistor wire and simple metal ends that crimped on and rubber boots which slide over the crimps.

• renaebaldini
  • Visitor
04 Jun 2013 05:19 - 04 Jun 2013 18:08 #590775 by renaebaldini
Replied by renaebaldini on topic Spark Plugs and Wires
Ouch! I'm a spammer who got caught, zapped, and site-banned.
Last edit: 04 Jun 2013 18:08 by Patton.