POINTS TO ELECTRONIC

More
24 Aug 2010 11:12 #393485 by ONEDIRTRIDA
POINTS TO ELECTRONIC was created by ONEDIRTRIDA
I have a 1980 Kz750 twin with points and just got a 1981 kz440 twin parts bike that has electronic ignition. My question is can I take the electronic off the 440 and use it on my 750. I know both are twins so I would think it would work, but I just want to make sure. The kz750 is hard to start and I have to adjust the points so if I could switch it to electronic it would be better. any help would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Aug 2010 11:22 #393487 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic POINTS TO ELECTRONIC
ONEDIRTRIDA wrote:

I have a 1980 Kz750 twin with points and just got a 1981 kz440 twin parts bike that has electronic ignition. My question is can I take the electronic off the 440 and use it on my 750. I know both are twins so I would think it would work, but I just want to make sure. The kz750 is hard to start and I have to adjust the points so if I could switch it to electronic it would be better. any help would be appreciated.

Yes, that is a common mod for the 750 twins.

The only thing I'm not sure of is if the advancers are the same, or if you need to swap the rotor from 440 onto the 750 advancer.

If the igniter is bad, you can make one for about $20. Scroll to the bottom of this link:
home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/GPZweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html

More
24 Aug 2010 12:57 #393508 by Capt America
Replied by Capt America on topic POINTS TO ELECTRONIC
ONEDIRTRIDA wrote:

You will need to steal the IC box and its (wiring harness side) connector, (or make your own if ya like), the timing advancer, the pickup, and coil off the 440.

If memory serves me the power wire currently going to your coil from the harness is already run through the ignition switch and kill switch, so you should be able to just use it as the power source for your new setup.

Make sure you have clearance between the advancer and pickup.. I had to shave a tiny bit off the backside of the pickup mount to get the proper clearance. I have an oddball 83 casing though, so you may not have this problem at all with the standard casing. (best to check for clearance anyways)

The advancer from the 440 work just fine on the 750s, some days I think better/smoother than the original actually.

Here are a couple pics of the wiring setup to help you out.

The pickup coil should have no resistance reading between ground and its two leads. It should have between 360 and 540 ohms resistance measured between the two leads, blue/black.

With everything hooked up and powered on, you should be getting (all measured between ground and each lead) 0.5 - 1.0 volts on the black pickup lead, and 0.8 - 3.0 volts on the blue pickup lead.

You should get battery voltage 12v between ground and the yellow/red, and the yellow/blue, at the connector for the IC box.

Best of Luck.

Capt A merica
1983 K1 750 twin
Ontario, Canada.

More
24 Aug 2010 20:27 #393630 by steell
Replied by steell on topic POINTS TO ELECTRONIC
I could have it installed and running in less time than it would take me to type the above post :laugh:

KD9JUR

More
25 Aug 2010 08:01 #393711 by ONEDIRTRIDA
Replied by ONEDIRTRIDA on topic POINTS TO ELECTRONIC
Thanks everyone for all the help. I am building the bike with a tight budget.I found the 440 on craigslist for free with no title.