Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dyna S ignition problem 22 Jul 2010 20:13 #384772

• baldy110
  • baldy110's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510
I took my bike out for a ride today and decided to check the timing when I got back. I installed a Dyna S ignition about 15 years ago and havent checked in about 10 years. I took apart the mechanical advance, cleaned and lubed it. I put it all back together and it ran great. I went for another ride and decided when I got back to check the compression. After the compression check I put the plugs back and and fired it up. It was only running on number 1 and 4. I checked the connections all was fine. After some trouble shooting it turned out to be the # 2 and 3 cylinder power module on the Dyna S was bad.
I know the Dyna S is old but what would make the module die?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dyna S ignition problem 22 Jul 2010 20:17 #384776

• blue75kz900
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Are you sure you have 12 volts to the other side of the coil.
Are they stock coils?
Blue 1975 KZ900
Gold 1970 Chevy Nova 427...Bike killer

Dyna S ignition problem 22 Jul 2010 20:33 #384784

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
One weak area on the Dyna "S" is where the power wire is spliced into the bike's wiring.

This type of connection is a real pain to troubleshoot due to moisture getting into the joint and corroding. Even though the connection may look good, it may not be electrically connected.

For a much better connection, I recommend soldering the connection and then covering it with heat shrink tubing.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)
The following user(s) said Thank You: SteveB

Dyna S ignition problem 22 Jul 2010 20:34 #384785

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
When you do the compression test, you know to short out the plug wires to the head, correct? If you don't, all that spark energy can't go anywhere and it usually causes a coil to go bad or the electronic ignition to go bad. This is because if there is no way for the spark to discharge, a huge voltage is forced on the primary. Coil insulation breaks down or the ignition transistor pops (or the clamp zeners pop) or all of the above.

You can also just disconnect the coil primary wires when doing the compression test.

Dyna S ignition problem 22 Jul 2010 21:06 #384799

• baldy110
  • baldy110's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510
Yeah I think what I did was burn out the 2&3 module. I did not ground the leads. When I switched the module wires I got spark at the 2&3 coil so I know the coil is not bad.
I have been checking the compression for years without grounding the leads and have gotten away with it. I know better than that. I ordered a new Dyna S ignition. Thanks

Dyna S ignition problem 22 Jul 2010 21:16 #384803

• Mark Wing
  • User
  • Thank you received: 22
Bummer Paul, I think I have a Dyna with one good pick-up. It's yours if you want it.

Mark
Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

Dyna S ignition problem 23 Jul 2010 04:26 #384843

• Old Man Rock
  • User
  • Thank you received: 225
Loud....

Interesting, didn't think of this..... B)

Here's my question though... If he was compression testing cylinder 1 for say, since 1 & 4 use the same coil, should be ok then regarding the sparkie grounding?

Or is it still a possible coil/Dyna damage concern due to #1 plug not being grounded...

Me likey this subject....

OMR
1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

Dyna S ignition problem 23 Jul 2010 09:54 #384916

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
If one end of the coil is disconnected, the damage can happen. The safest is to remove the power from the coil.

In most transformer/coil/alternator type devices it's safer to short them than to have them open. It's because induced voltage can get very high and cause insulation breakdown.

Same thing happens on tube-type guitar amps. If you use it without a speaker, and leave the output transformer open, it'll blow the transformer in no time. To safeguard against this, they put a shorting jack where the speaker plugs in. It shorts out when you unplug the speaker.

Dyna S ignition problem 23 Jul 2010 22:14 #385188

• Old Man Rock
  • User
  • Thank you received: 225
"If one end of the coil is disconnected, the damage can happen. The safest is to remove the power from the coil."

I get the concept of neither spark plug of a given coil pair not being grounded.... I was speaking in the regards if he had at least one plug #4 as in example still grounded then damage to this coil should have been minimized or elliminated due to the current path trhough the coil was still occuring...

Trying to ease his mind a little... ;)

And yes, totally removing power would be the safest route no doubt... Thanks for the thoughts on this...

OMR
1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

Dyna S ignition problem 24 Jul 2010 04:30 #385206

• Kidkawie
  • User
  • I bleed premix
  • Thank you received: 245
can't you just turn the handlebar switch to "off"?
1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

Dyna S ignition problem 24 Jul 2010 10:24 #385261

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Old Man Rock wrote:

"If one end of the coil is disconnected, the damage can happen. The safest is to remove the power from the coil."

I get the concept of neither spark plug of a given coil pair not being grounded.... I was speaking in the regards if he had at least one plug #4 as in example still grounded then damage to this coil should have been minimized or elliminated due to the current path trhough the coil was still occuring...
OMR

Both plugs in the pair must have a path to each other. Normally this path is incidently going to ground, but it's not necessary. What really needs to happen is the current muct go from one plug wire to the other plug wire on the same coil.

The engine is used to complete this path, and yes the engine is grounded. It would work the same even if engine was not grounded. (Unlike in a classic car where the engine is part of the ground path to the coil.)

The sprk plugs for one coil are in series, not parallel, so both plugs are needed to complete the path.

Dyna S ignition problem 24 Jul 2010 10:28 #385262

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Kidkawie wrote:

can't you just turn the handlebar switch to "off"?

Only if this allows the starter circuit to still function.

Normally, no, but it is very easy to swap two wires in the handle bar switch so you can crank the motor with the kill switch off. I've come across a few bikes that were miswired this way. No harm in it, as long as you remember to turn the switch on while cranking when you are trying to start the bike.
Attachments:

Last edit: by loudhvx.
  • Page: