Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dyna S ignition problem 24 Jul 2010 10:36 #385263

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
  • Thank you received: 28
I use kind of a backyard/oldschool method I guess.

With the plugs in the wire caps, i just connect jumper cables. Each cable end holds 2 plugs perfect, then ground them to the frame/engine/whatever I can find.

Then, when I'm cranking, i know they have a good ground cause I can see them all sparking away.

This is a good setup for quick diagnostics, turning the ignition off/on.

If your a newbie who might forget the ignition on, or take long time to think/examine things etc. i would deffinately consider just removing the power wires to the coils (as mentioned), and be done with the whole possibility of damage/failure.

Cheers.

B)
Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dyna S ignition problem 24 Jul 2010 10:52 #385266

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
TeK9iNe wrote:

I use kind of a backyard/oldschool method I guess.

With the plugs in the wire caps, i just connect jumper cables. Each cable end holds 2 plugs perfect, then ground them to the frame/engine/whatever I can find.

Then, when I'm cranking, i know they have a good ground cause I can see them all sparking away.

This is a good setup for quick diagnostics, turning the ignition off/on.

If your a newbie who might forget the ignition on, or take long time to think/examine things etc. i would deffinately consider just removing the power wires to the coils (as mentioned), and be done with the whole possibility of damage/failure.

Cheers.

B)

Very good tip.
You can just connect the bodies of both plugs together without actually going to ground, and it should work just the same. This is usually how I bench test ignitions. I just tie the plugs together with a rubber band or tape.

Dyna S ignition problem 24 Jul 2010 18:13 #385374

• baldy110
  • baldy110's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510
I usually unplug the red wire coming from the Dyna S when I do compression checks but I got in a hurry and didn't this time. My bad. Thanks Mark but I just ordered up a new Dyna S. I will keep the other good module in case I do the same stupid mistake later.

Dyna S ignition problem 31 Mar 2019 01:16 #801316

• SteveB
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2

MFolks wrote: One weak area on the Dyna "S" is where the power wire is spliced into the bike's wiring.

This type of connection is a real pain to troubleshoot due to moisture getting into the joint and corroding. Even though the connection may look good, it may not be electrically connected.

For a much better connection, I recommend soldering the connection and then covering it with heat shrink tubing.

I felt compelled to join this forum to say thanks to MFolks for this advice - I had issues with cylinders 1 & 4 and was convinced it was the coil as when I touched the HT leads feeding this coil the motor would cut-out. It would also cut-out under load but was ok ticking over. The little blue connector that MFolks mentions had a loose connection and was being moved when I touched the HT leads. I recrimped it tightly and bingo, problem solved. It's only taken a week to sort that annoying problem but I am so relieved it hasn't cost me anything but time!
Thanks again - these forums are a goldmine of information.

Steve
1978 KZ1000A2
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx, DOHC

• Page: