quick question about right-side controls from Z1

• cobura
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • forever 2 wheels
More
30 Jun 2010 08:58 #379209 by cobura
So i've slowly been learning that although many parts from the z1 look identical to the parts on my kz650, they are in fack not.

Yesterday i was riding along slowly in traffic when my engine cut out (still working on the carb settings). While rolling i pushed the starter button. As i let go, i saw the starter button pop out from the controls. I fumbled and swatted at it trying to catch it, but no good. I watched it get eaten by the traffic following closely behind me :(

My controls are pretty ratty anyways, so i was thinking to replace them. I can get new reproduction controls for a z1 for very cheap. They look almost identical. I was just wondering if the wiring is the same? I dont care about the plug or connectors, but does the z1 use the same number/type of wiring as the kz650?

Thanks as always

1979 KZ650B3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2010 01:24 #391210 by seanof30306
Replied by seanof30306 on topic quick question about right-side controls from Z1
The switches available at Z1enterprises.com are not for KZ650s, and would require rewiring to work.

Give KawaTim and email at kzkrazy14559@yahoo.com

He rebuilds switches. I haven't used him, but Jeff at Z1enterprises.com recommended him highly. I spoke with him once, and he's a really nice guy.

"That @#$%!!! KZ650"
79 KZ650 B3
Dual front disc brakes
Z1R 18" front wheel
Pumper carbs w/pods
MAC 4-1 w/ drilled-out baffle
Dyna S ignition w/ Dyna Green coils
WG coil mod
'81 CSR charging system
17/41 gearing

More
16 Aug 2010 03:56 #391213 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic quick question about right-side controls from Z1
And he is KZkrazy too. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
16 Aug 2010 05:00 #391220 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic quick question about right-side controls from Z1
i just had the same thing on another bike...for now i stripped the yellow and brown wire and clipped it an inch before the control ...i just wrapped some elec tape around to keep em steady and just brush em together to start it...i am gonna put a cheap button there until i order a set

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
16 Aug 2010 05:24 #391225 by stonemaster
Replied by stonemaster on topic quick question about right-side controls from Z1
if dat dont work out check out
www.bikeboneyard.com/

More
16 Aug 2010 05:42 #391227 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic quick question about right-side controls from Z1
Functionally, the replacement Z1 switchblocks will work, but you do have to do some surgery on the wires.

The basic setup is all the same:
Kill Switch
Starter button

The reproduction switch gives you a lights on/off switch not found on the later bikes.

The black, red, brown & yellow/red should be the same as most of the KZ bikes. Kawasaki was fairly consistent on colors.

Depending on the setup on your bike, you may need to replace the 4-wire connector block with individual bullet connectors. That's something I know a number of customers have done for the KZ1000 switches.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
16 Aug 2010 13:22 #391436 by MFolks
I believe www.easternbeaver.com carries a big selection of bullet and other connectors.

These two other websites should carry what you may not find at Eastern Beaver:

www.vintageconnections.com
www.electricalconnection.com/electrical-components/hitachi.htm

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)