removing turn signals

• stonemaster
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
16 Jun 2010 17:12 #376162 by stonemaster
removing turn signals was created by stonemaster
I was told by a MMI grad that removing turn signals doesnt require any wiring changes, just remove and go, I seem to remember different but its been awhile,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2010 17:36 #376168 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic removing turn signals
On the bikes with front running lights(two filiment bulbs)there will be usually a BLUE wire for the runnning light circuit and either a GREY or GREEN wire for the turn signal circuit.

The rear turn signals again will have GREY or GREEN wires only with a single filiment. Both front and rear signals will have the standard BLACK with YELLOW stripe ground wire circuit.

I'd get some heatshrink tubing and after the signals are removed cap off the wires. Heat the tubing and while it's still hot,pinch the end with pliers.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• stonemaster
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
16 Jun 2010 18:09 #376174 by stonemaster
Replied by stonemaster on topic removing turn signals
thanx i kinda did that already but since i posted i found a blue wire coming out of the starter cover that was not connected, it goes to what i think is the oil pressure switch could this be what is causing my taillight, oil light, brake light not to function???

More
16 Jun 2010 20:14 #376223 by madmatt1
Replied by madmatt1 on topic removing turn signals
Is your bike a 650? If so, then yes, the blue wire is for the oil pressure switch. I don't really know for sure if it has any relation to your lighting woes, but the best way to find out is to get yourself a test light and start playing inspector. A motorcycle like this has a wiring harness that is really pretty simple once you take the time to follow wires and do some simple tests.

1977 KZ1000 LTD
1977 KZ1000A

• stonemaster
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
16 Jun 2010 20:19 #376225 by stonemaster
oooppps sorry 73 Z1

More
17 Jun 2010 07:53 - 17 Jun 2010 07:57 #376316 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic removing turn signals
stonemaster wrote:

thanx i kinda did that already but since i posted i found a blue wire coming out of the starter cover that was not connected, it goes to what i think is the oil pressure switch could this be what is causing my taillight, oil light, brake light not to function???

Blue wire goes to several light-related items.
Take a look at the Z1 wiring diagram.

Imo, where everything else is okay, a simple disconnect of wire at the oil pressure switch would not adversely affect the other blue wire items.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 17 Jun 2010 07:57 by Patton.

• stonemaster
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
17 Jun 2010 12:39 #376360 by stonemaster
thanx for the reply, I was thinking the same, I found a wiring diagram that is much better than the factory manual, it was done with an autocad program and the lines are done in the actual wire color, sooooo much easier, gonna print it out now and get at it, thanx again guys

• stonemaster
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
17 Jun 2010 18:15 #376451 by stonemaster
OK three problems, One: oil light had been attached with a tooo small sheet metal screw and came loose,
Two: taillight bulb bad filament not burned but base was rusty, Three: bad solder job on blue wire going to taillight from brake switch and wire had separated.
I hate the friggin PO of this bike, so many crappy procedures and shitty work and this asshat was an original owner and a wrench at a Kaw dealership My day will come, I know where he lives.