11.7 V to the Coil but no Spark ...NOW what ?

More
12 Jun 2010 15:47 #375317 by eddyshore
It a 79 KZ650 , Just test the wires running to the coils both sides are getting 11.7 volts . But still no spark from the plug . The plugs are brand new . Any ideas? Thanks in advance .
James

1979 KZ650 Cafe Racer Project

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jun 2010 15:58 #375320 by Patton
eddyshore wrote:

It a 79 KZ650 , Just test the wires running to the coils both sides are getting 11.7 volts . But still no spark from the plug . The plugs are brand new . Any ideas? Thanks in advance .
James

Each coil getting 11.7 volts?

No spark on any of the 4 plugs?

What ignition? Points? Dyna-S?

Any work done on ignition recently?

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
12 Jun 2010 18:14 #375330 by eddyshore
Replied by eddyshore on topic 11.7 V to the Coil but no Spark ...NOW what ?
Yes both coils , no spark on any four plugs ,Dyna-s ignition, I messed with the ignition could have make the coils not fire ?

More
12 Jun 2010 18:18 #375332 by eddyshore
I really dont understand timing in general but would a bike being way off time make the coils not fire ? I tried to do what it said on Dyna-s website about timing but got onthing close to what they were saying . I dont get the open close stuff with the 1-4 /2-3 jazz and lining up the T . Sorry newb just learning .

More
12 Jun 2010 18:25 #375335 by dutchz
No they would still spark even when you are way out, they just would not spark at the right time. Since you say you're a noob, how are you checking spark, are you grounding the side of the plug on the head? Otherwise you can wait til the cows come home.
Have you installed the Dyna S correctly with the magnetic trigger on the crank end, power going to the Dyna sensors and the two trigger wires connected to the coils?

1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.

More
12 Jun 2010 18:42 #375338 by eddyshore
I am grounding the plug on the head , I didnt install the Dyna the previous owner did .

Dyna S correctly with the magnetic trigger on the crank end, power going to the Dyna sensors and the two trigger wires connected to the coils

Can you put it a little more newbie terms . There are three wires coming out of the dyna , magnetic trigger dont know what is . and I having removed the DYna so I have no idea what is going on under it . As far as what I can see is 2 C shaped black things with wires running into them and one wire looks like it is being grounded with a screw on the plate ... Thanks in advance , James

More
12 Jun 2010 18:59 - 12 Jun 2010 19:03 #375341 by dutchz
There are three wires coming out of the dyna, one is power (red I believe) the other two go to the triggers (the black c-shaped things), I think they are white and black.
You should check power on the red wire and make sure the trigger wires are connected to the coils. You can trace the wires coming out of the C shaped things to the coils.

There should be a black plastic looking thing on the end of the crank that rotates in between the black c shaped things.
If you look carefully you will see there is a small round magnet embedded in it. As the crank makes a revolution, this little magnet turns accross the face of the triggers (black c shaped things) and sets them off one after the other.

Each trigger is connected to one coil, and each coil is connected to two plugs, in pairs, 1+4 and 2+3. Coil 1+4 fires the outside two cylinders and 2+3 fires the inside two cylinders.

Now the way you set the timing is by rotating the backing plate that has the triggers on it around the crank. Rotate it to the left and it advances ignition (the iginition will spark earlier), rotate it to the right and it will retard (spark later). Finer adjustments can be made by moving the triggers individually but I would leave that alone for now.
The trick is to make the spark when the piston has the mixture compressed and is at the top of its stroke. The timing marks (like the T mark) you described help you to do this. Your shop manual or the PDF from Dyna should have the correct instructions to set the timing.

1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.
Last edit: 12 Jun 2010 19:03 by dutchz.

More
12 Jun 2010 19:12 - 12 Jun 2010 19:13 #375342 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic 11.7 V to the Coil but no Spark ...NOW what ?
eddyshore wrote:

As far as what I can see is 2 C shaped black things with wires running into them and one wire looks like it is being grounded with a screw on the plate ...

This is what the DynaS Model DS2-2 on my 1977 KZ650-B1 looks like.

As you can see, no wire should be screwed to or touching the plate or ground in this installation. :huh:

BTW, lend us a hand here... a picture or a wire colour code would go a long way to understanding your descriptions.

Best of success, :)
Bill

PS
Please add your year, model and location in your signature to get the very best responses and yes... it's considered very friendly too.
Bill

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Jun 2010 19:13 by bill_wilcox100.

More
12 Jun 2010 19:21 #375344 by Patton

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
12 Jun 2010 19:27 - 12 Jun 2010 19:27 #375345 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic 11.7 V to the Coil but no Spark ...NOW what ?
Hey Patton, neat diagram!

James, this is what my wires looks like where the Dyna S meets my bikes wire harness. Hope this helps.

Best of success, :)
Bill

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Jun 2010 19:27 by bill_wilcox100.

More
12 Jun 2010 20:11 #375358 by Patton
Here's the advancer and Dyna-S rotor.
A bolt attaches them to the crankshaft by screwing into the end of the crankshaft.

Note the magnet embedded into the rotor. The magnet may be difficult to see. It's about the size of a pencil eraser.

The embedded magnet spins between the Dyna-S modules.
When passing a module, the ignition coil ungrounds to fire through the plug wires.
The ignition coil recharges while grounded, until again ungrounded when the spinning magnet again passes the module.

Same as points: opening ungrounds ignition coil primary winding, and closing grounds ignition coil primary winding .

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
12 Jun 2010 20:47 #375367 by Patton
Patton wrote:

Here's the advancer and Dyna-S rotor.
A bolt attaches them to the crankshaft by screwing into the end of the crankshaft.

Forgot to mention the 17mm "fake" nut which goes under the bolt head.
The 17mm nut is designed for being used to hand turn the crankshaft.
Never use the smaller bolt head to turn the crankshaft, because the bolt head is prone to shear off and leave its threaded portion tightly screwed into the crankshaft.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments: