Turn Signal Help Needed

More
27 Apr 2010 10:36 - 28 Apr 2010 07:43 #363567 by roccon99
Turn Signal Help Needed was created by roccon99
Ok, so I'm trying to make a recently purchased KZ H1 bobber street legal. I posted a question concerning speedometer issues, which was answered very quickly (which I greatly appreciate). Now I'm on to the turn signals. Unfortunately, the PO removed a lot of the wiring...snipping here and cutting there, and I'm not exactly sure what I'm left with. I downloaded the wiring diagram, but I'm still trying to get the hang of reading it. Here's what I do know - the hand controls are gone and the turn signal wires that should have gone into/around the headlight housing seem to be missing. Here's what I don't know - whether or not the turn signal relay is still there (I'm not exactly sure where to look). Finally, I found this universal signal kit and was thinking about running it instead of trying to salvage the original wiring, but I'm not sure if it is compatible. I'm pretty much just looking for the cheapest and easiest way to get some turn signals on...doesn't have to be DOT approved and the smaller the handlebar switch the better. All and any advice would be greatly appreciated
Last edit: 28 Apr 2010 07:43 by roccon99.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2010 10:37 #363568 by roccon99
Replied by roccon99 on topic Turn Signal Overhaul
Here's the link for the universal turn signal kit...
www.bikebandit.com/k-s-universal-turn-signal-wiring-kit

More
28 Apr 2010 07:46 - 28 Apr 2010 07:50 #363815 by Sircraigery
Replied by Sircraigery on topic Turn Signal Overhaul
Before you buy another set, check out my picture of the drawing I did for my bobber.

You wire colours may be different, but you should be able to figure out what is what.

Enjoy

This thing isn't showing up in the thread, but click it anyway and it will expand and you'll be able to see it.
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Apr 2010 07:50 by Sircraigery.

More
28 Apr 2010 07:57 #363816 by roccon99
Sircraigery...thanks for the diagram, it shows up quite large/clear and makes things much easier to understand. After seeing that though, I'm fairly certain that the relay has been removed. Is there any way to pull those pin connectors apart? It looks like he cut some of the turn signal wires coming from them right at the base inside the connector. thanks

More
29 Apr 2010 06:47 #364095 by Sircraigery
I'm not sure about these pin connectors, I haven't tried.

Which relay was removed, the turn signal? The relay should be a 2 connection item.
One side being power (brown), and the other side heading to the switch in the handlebars (orange). It's a little rectangular box, just opposite of the starter relay. At least that's where mine was.

More
03 May 2010 17:53 #365303 by roccon99
I got a new relay and switch..but I'm having a really hard time understanding the wiring diagram. I've tried a number of things and still can't get any results. Does anyone have a really simplified diagram showing just the turn signal wiring? Unfortunately, this is my first attempt with this kind of wiring and its proving more difficult than I expected. Thanks for the help.

More
04 May 2010 01:09 - 04 May 2010 01:12 #365399 by Sircraigery
Don't over complicate it man, it's a simple circuit.

Look at the picture while reading my explanation and you'll have it in no time.

- A solid 12 volts comes from the regulator (brown wire) into the flasher relay

- Orange out of flasher, gives a pulsing 12V into the handle bar switch

- Depending on which side you signal, the pulsing 12V goes to those lights (green or grey). (Note: You may also have some signal indicators on your gauge pod, which will also get the pulsing 12V signal which I didn't connect in the pic because I'm lazy).

- The ground (Black/Yellow) is the ground for all the lights, and also grounds the rectifier.

This is a generic circuit for signals, try to match the colors if you can. It will make trouble shooing much easier.

Good luck, hope that makes things look easier. Any more questions let me know.

Also, just to add: The green off the regulator is NOT the same green as the flashers. Those two wires have nothing to do with each other.
Attachments:
Last edit: 04 May 2010 01:12 by Sircraigery.

More
06 May 2010 05:34 #365874 by roccon99
@Sircraigery...thanks for the diagram; that really simplified the whole thing. Unfortunately, I don't have any power coming through the brown wire off my regulator. I reviewed my overall wiring diagram and saw the orange/green wire was the power source for my particular model. So I tried running the circuit with some 12 volt bulbs while waiting for my turn signals to arrive - but I'm not getting any blinking. I think that I don't have enough load running through the relay, so I guess I'll have to try with all 4 signals once they come in. Thanks again for the help and lets hope this is the end of my turn signal questions!

More
06 May 2010 09:09 #365901 by Sircraigery
Is there 12V power in the orange/green wire? You bike has to be running to supply the 12V from the regulator. Make sure you battery is charged, a bike wouldn't idle with a dead (or bad) battery.

If there is 12V off your reg, your flasher relay could be at fault.

What model is your bike? I just want to make sure I'm not giving you bad information.

Here's what I would try:
Take the flasher relay and battery out of the bike. Hook the (+) end of the battery to the (+) of the flasher. The (-) of the flasher to the (+) of a 12V bulb, and the (-) to the battery's (-) terminal.

If no blinking, that will tell you your flasher if screwed. Or, try it again with more load. Flasher relays are cheap.

More
08 May 2010 01:16 #366368 by Sircraigery
Did you get it figure out?

More
10 May 2010 05:17 #366975 by roccon99
Turns out my battery was almost dead...so I'm charging it up and I'm gonna try running the entire circuit this Tuesday once my turn signals arrive. There is 12v in the orange/green wire, but I didn't try the brown wire with the bike running - so I'll try that too before I wire the whole thing. Thanks again for the help, I'll let you know what happens after Tuesday night.

More
10 May 2010 06:01 #366981 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Turn Signal Help Needed
Not sure of which exact model you have (CDI, European, Disk Brake) but this should be close enough for your turn signals and in the mentioning of the green & orange conductors....

Ignition switch Brown conductor passes 12Vdc to turn signal relay and onto turn signal hand control switch.

Rotate turn sign control to left or right and you will have 12Vdc on either green or orange conductor to turn signal lamp.

NOTE: Turn signals are grounded to frame ground... Either through metal to metal contact or conductor to grounded frame.

If using 3rd party signals, insure you have a good ground. Insure frame is grounded securely.

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments: