no spark when using electric start, kick works.

More
01 Apr 2010 14:00 #357741 by OKC_Kent
Remember WiredGeorges coil mod? Bountyhunter knows about it I'm sure.

Measure the voltage at your coils with the key turned on. If it's much lower than 12v the bike can be hard to start and run poor, foul plugs etc. This is common on old bikes with corroded connections, switches, etc. If your bike has points you rewire the coils to be powered through a 20-30amp relay from the starter relay, using the kill switch lead wire as the relay trigger. It's in the archives, and I'm sure to get it wrong, so search around.

Now if you have electronic ignition, you don't need a relay, just wire the coils straight to the starter relay. I think there is another wire with this setup, but that is in the archives too.

Good luck

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Apr 2010 20:20 - 01 Apr 2010 20:21 #357830 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic no spark when using electric start, kick works.
The relay mod is a good thing to do if you can't fix whatever is causing the voltage drop to the coil (bad ignition switch, resistance in the corroded fuse holders, etc). If I saw a significant voltage drop, I'd be worried about the wiring in general. Probably needs a new fuse box and ignition switch (at least). In general, I don't think straight wiring to the coil is necessary. My worry would be if the fuse contacts stuck it would be hard to turn the engine off...:ohmy:

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 01 Apr 2010 20:21 by bountyhunter.

More
02 Apr 2010 07:04 #357913 by OKC_Kent
www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/vintage...-without-points.html

I agree bounty, if you can find the problem area causing the volt drop then it should be fixed. Mine was down 2-3 volts, and I did the mod instead.
This link explains it better than I did. I had a relay on my 650 points-to-electronic conversion. The relay went bad, and since it really was not needed I yanked it and did this. Works like a charm. If you have points you will need the relay.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles