my mystery wire

• cobura
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • forever 2 wheels
More
26 Jan 2010 07:38 #344652 by cobura
my mystery wire was created by cobura
for those of you who have been helping me get my z650 back on the road i thank you very much. I am only one week away from bringing it in for inspection, which here in japan is ridiculously strict. I have two concerns still:

1. I have a mystery wire!! When rewiring my tail section this past weekend, after everything was connected i noticed i had one wire left. I replaced both rear turn signals with smaller, more modern ones, as well as a ZII style tail light. I have three wires going to the tail (red, blue, and black), and i have two wires going to each turn signal (power and ground). However i still have one extra wire coming out of the same group of wires that lead to the right rear turn signal. I looked at my wiring diagram but still stumped.

2. My speedometer seems kind of funky. Compare to the tach, my speedometer looks in appearance completely different. The tach, when lit, has a nice green ring around it that illuminates the surface of the guage. My speedo however, does not. It just has a messy kind of non-colored lighting. Should it look the same as the tach in both green color and appearance?

thanks again for your help. I just order new dunlop TT1000 tires and and RK chain for her. Cant wait to take her for the first ride.

1979 KZ650B3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2010 08:08 #344655 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic my mystery wire
would need the wiring digram for your KZ but possibly running light conductor...

Post the wiring digarm so we can have a look at it if you'd like...

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
26 Jan 2010 11:59 #344682 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic my mystery wire
I'd imagine the Japanese Kawasaki's have/use the same color codes as the U.S. models:

1.RED,running or tail light circuit.

2.BLUE,brake light circuit.

3.BLACK with YELLOW stripe,the ground circuit.

Possibly the previous owner added additional running lights or turn signals, explaining the extra wires.

I'd get a multimeter set on D.C. volts(range of 20) and see if they are what I mentioned.

Put the BLACK probe on a good ground or the Negative(-) battery terminal and the RED probe on a mystery wire with the turn signals turned on.

Like I mentioned above,it's either an aux turn signal or running light source.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
26 Jan 2010 12:16 #344687 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic my mystery wire
x3

if it flashes it's extra turns....no flash running lights....make sure it's well taped up and sealed from touching anything and bury it for later lights...

MFolks wrote:

I'd imagine the Japanese Kawasaki's have/use the same color codes as the U.S. models:

1.RED,running or tail light circuit.

2.BLUE,brake light circuit.

3.BLACK with YELLOW stripe,the ground circuit.

Possibly the previous owner added additional running lights or turn signals, explaining the extra wires.

I'd get a multimeter set on D.C. volts(range of 20) and see if they are what I mentioned.

Put the BLACK probe on a good ground or the Negative(-) battery terminal and the RED probe on a mystery wire with the turn signals turned on.

Like I mentioned above,it's either an aux turn signal or running light source.

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
26 Jan 2010 12:49 #344694 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic my mystery wire
The speedo and tach have two small bulbs each for illumination. Does it look like only one bulb is burning? One burnt bulb will cause a darker than normal glow at night.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
26 Jan 2010 13:17 #344701 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic my mystery wire
What color(s) is the mystery wire?

Early meters had a black outer ring; newer ones (I think beginning 1978) has the aqua blue ring. It is easy to see the difference during daylight. Sounds like your speedo and tach may be mismatched. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• cobura
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • forever 2 wheels
More
26 Jan 2010 15:41 #344743 by cobura
Replied by cobura on topic my mystery wire
thanks everyone for your input. The mystery wire is red, but that doesnt say much because I am pretty sure that the previous owner did some fooling around with the wires. I will check them all with the multimeter to find out. I didnt think about the possibility of some kind of custom accessories being added by the previous owner.

As for the guages, all bulbs are lit and working properly. I think 650ed is correct in saying that they are mismatched. However now that i take a closer look, i think it looks like my speedo may be damaged. I think i can see the greenish ring, same as in the tach, but it looks to have fallen down behind the gauge face.

1979 KZ650B3