Headlight Kill Switch

More
21 Dec 2009 04:16 #340126 by sakiguy
Headlight Kill Switch was created by sakiguy
My headlight is one of those that always stays on. I'd like to be able to turn it off, so it would seem that the best method might be to create an inline switch and mount it near the handlebars. If someone has a better idea let me know, thanks.

1983 KZ750 N2 Shaft

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Dec 2009 09:24 - 21 Dec 2009 09:40 #340147 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic Headlight Kill Switch
Hi sakiguy... not sure what symptom you are trying to eliminate...

It really depends why you want to do this... for safety it really is much better to have your little bike light up like a Christmas tree for all the cars and trucks around you to see.

Having a Canadian model, my bike has no ON/OFF switch either and I thought this was a disadvantage when trying to electric start it. So I decided to modify the Head Light circuit such that the Head Light is automatically turned OFF whenever I push the electric Start Button.

This is how I did mine:

Link (K2)

Just another thought... if your bike came without a light ON/OFF switch you may have problems if you get pulled over and the law realizes that your light is not always ON or your bike has to go through the road worthiness inspection... I don't know where you are so it's hard to say.

Hope this helps.

Best of success. :)
Bill

PS
Could you add your year, model and location to your signature to help get the best responses... and it's considered real friendly too.
Bill

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Dec 2009 09:40 by bill_wilcox100.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
21 Dec 2009 12:53 #340168 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Headlight Kill Switch
I just wired a retro looking switch into the dash, inline with the headlights power wire.

Just don't let the police see, I've already gotten in #&$! for mine. Totally illegal.

Cheers.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
21 Dec 2009 13:07 #340169 by sakiguy
Replied by sakiguy on topic Headlight Kill Switch
I'm in California, so it's legal to not have headlights on during the day, if it's clear out.

1983 KZ750 N2 Shaft

More
21 Dec 2009 13:19 #340170 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Headlight Kill Switch
You might be able to use the stock handlebar switch off a little older model. My ’77 KZ650 has an ON/OFF headlight switch built into the right handlebar switch. It might take a little creative wiring to hook up, but the ’77 KZ650 wiring diagram is available online so that might help. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
21 Dec 2009 13:31 - 21 Dec 2009 13:33 #340172 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Headlight Kill Switch
sakiguy wrote:

I'm in California, so it's legal to not have headlights on during the day, if it's clear out.

Depends. If the bike came from the factory with "always on" lights, it may not be legal to disable that feature. Kali has some bizarre laws about modifications to lighting. Call the CHP and ask, they usually know what's up.

I did the same as the previous poster: put in a relay that disconnects the headlights, tail lights, running lights etc when the strter is energized. That will make the battery life about 3X increase. It's an easy mod at the fusebox.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 21 Dec 2009 13:33 by bountyhunter.

More
22 Dec 2009 23:36 #340361 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Headlight Kill Switch
Completely forgot I had this circuit. I forgot who it was for, but someone asked about this a couple years ago. we devised a way to use the neutral switch as a trigger. The lights come on only after the bike is put into gear the first time after being started, then stays on after that.

There are many ways to make a holding circuit for this purpose, but this one can probably be made a little more compact than a two-relay version.

home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/GPZweb/Lightin...eadlightTrigger.html

More
23 Dec 2009 04:19 #340366 by sakiguy
650ed wrote:

You might be able to use the stock handlebar switch off a little older model. My ’77 KZ650 has an ON/OFF headlight switch built into the right handlebar switch. It might take a little creative wiring to hook up, but the ’77 KZ650 wiring diagram is available online so that might help. Ed

Thanks Ed. I'd like to keep the stock switch on there and not mess with it. That would probably be a better permanent fix though. Guess I'll start looking on ebay.

1983 KZ750 N2 Shaft

More
23 Dec 2009 04:28 #340367 by sakiguy
TeK9iNe wrote:

I just wired a retro looking switch into the dash, inline with the headlights power wire.

Just don't let the police see, I've already gotten in #&$! for mine. Totally illegal.

Cheers.

B)

That was the idea. In my mind it will save the battery and perhaps make your headlight last longer. Far more dangerous affair to be running around at night and your headlight lamp goes out, say on the freeway than running without the headlight during the day when it's perfectly clear out.

I was thinking exactly of doing what you did. I was going to just mount like a cheap switch from radio shack from the headlights power wire, and just make some kind of handlebar mount for it. Not too sure if this would be legal. If it's illegal I won't do it. But I see lots of riders running around w/o headlights during the day.

1983 KZ750 N2 Shaft

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
23 Dec 2009 06:12 #340374 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Headlight Kill Switch
Just get a switch housing for the Canadian models. That is what I did. In Florida the headlight must remain "ON" at all times. I like to be able to turn it off when I want to for a variety of reasons.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
23 Dec 2009 07:08 #340390 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic Headlight Kill Switch
loudhvx wrote:

Completely forgot I had this circuit. I forgot who it was for, but someone asked about this a couple years ago. we devised a way to use the neutral switch as a trigger. The lights come on only after the bike is put into gear the first time after being started, then stays on after that.

There are many ways to make a holding circuit for this purpose, but this one can probably be made a little more compact than a two-relay version.

home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/GPZweb/Lightin...eadlightTrigger.html

IMHO, this is a neat concept and tidy implementation... and I am a fan of your circuits.

My only reservation with this circuit is that it does not appear to be a fail-to-safe circuit. As I understand it, if the relay's coil fails then the Head Light (High and or Low Beam) turns OFF... ouch in the dark. :S

It would be interesting to see if the same concept could be implemented as a fail-to-safe such that if the relay's coil fails then the Head Light stays ON. Just a thought.

Again, thanks for your ongoing contributions and, of course, best of success. :)
Bill

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada

More
23 Dec 2009 09:12 #340398 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Headlight Kill Switch
Thanks, Bill. The relay can be in parallel to a regular switch, but if the bike has a reserve lighting unit, the circuit could be wired so if the relay fails, the reserve will apply the high beam.

One note about the Radio Shack switches...
I've had friends use them for lights or ignition, and the cheap plastic ones, regardless of current ratings, seem to melt. Definitely get one that has a metal or bakelite housing. It's probably better to get one from an auto-supply store with the highest rating you can find.