Battery choices?

More
05 Dec 2009 17:23 #337647 by rayellis
Battery choices? was created by rayellis
What battery type and brand do you think works best? I have a 1980 kz750. I could pick up a battery at wal mart for $40 but not sure that would be good move. I question the quality and don't have the cash to keep buying new batteries.

Any help would be great!

Thank You
Ray

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
05 Dec 2009 17:48 #337652 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Battery choices?
I've used WalMart batteries without any problems, and they have a good return policy.
$40 is inexpensive.
But if you can afford a better battery, then go for it.

$40 is probly the cheapest problem that you bike will throw at you. :laugh:

Sometimes you have to replace batteries every few years or less with bikes, depending of course on the usage.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
05 Dec 2009 19:24 - 05 Dec 2009 19:35 #337669 by dejavoodo41
Replied by dejavoodo41 on topic Battery choices?
Wal-Mart batteries are made by Johnson controls. They are the same company that makes Optima. The key to battery life is to follow the setup instructions exactly. If you do not you wont get good battery life. Generally you want to charge it at I believe 10 percent of the amp hour rating. I use a Schumacher trickle charger and have had no issues. I have the AGM (maintenence free) Everstart from Wal-Mart in my Kz 1000 and have had no problems after a year and about 15000 miles.

1977 KZ1000A With 1980 KZ1000A MKII engine, Wiseco 1105 kit, Dyna S Ignition, 3 Ohm Dyna Coils, Cams, Mikuni RS34 Carbs, Vance and Hines Pro Pipe with Comp Baffle

New Smyrna Beach, FL
Last edit: 05 Dec 2009 19:35 by dejavoodo41.

More
05 Dec 2009 19:30 - 05 Dec 2009 19:39 #337671 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Battery choices?
rayellis wrote:

What battery type and brand do you think works best? I have a 1980 kz750. I could pick up a battery at wal mart for $40 but not sure that would be good move. I question the quality and don't have the cash to keep buying new batteries.

Any help would be great!

Thank You
Ray

I used to order batteries dry from JC Whitney. I probably uised about six of theirs over the years and they were all good. I think most batteries are good and I think all batteries are made by three or four manufacturers who just slap different labels on them.

Here is wisdom:

Bike batteries die early because they get a severe deep discharge cranking the starter. I got about 18 months each out of the stock battery and it's dealer replacement.

I changed the wiring so that all the electricals loads except the ignition "switch out" by a relay when I engage the starter solenoid and EVERY battery since has lasted over five years, a couple went seven. Reducing that heavy load at starting multiplies life.

I am currently running one of these:

www.jcwhitney.com/jcwhitney/product.jcw?...12&_requestid=894663

My Vehicle:
1979 Kawasaki KZ Models

Guaranteed to FitYour complete satisfaction is our #1 priority, so you can be confident the products listed below are GUARANTEED to fit your vehicle! But if for any reason an item just doesn't measure up, simply return it to us for a full refund or exchange within 90 days of receipt...no questions asked.
This product is guaranteed to fit or work with your 1979 Kawasaki KZ Models or your money back. No questions asked.

On sale from: $24.64 $28.99 Each Shipping:See SKU Details TabAvailability:See SKU Details Tab

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 05 Dec 2009 19:39 by bountyhunter.

More
07 Dec 2009 13:54 #337957 by rayellis
Replied by rayellis on topic Battery choices?
Great info from all of you and it sounds like the wal mart battery will work out. I do not want to get it from jc whitney it cost too much with shipping and I don't see any quality differences from wal mart.

I was thinking maintenance free might be better but it seems to not matter much.

I appreciate your info and thank you!

Ray

More
07 Dec 2009 15:10 #337965 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Battery choices?
My AGM is giving it up after two years. I was not impressed by it's cranking power from the get go. I shall go back to normal batteries which usually last at least twice as long for half the price. I keep a tender on them all. I did like the not worrying about battery spills or boil out. But it's not worth it. IMHO

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
07 Dec 2009 16:02 #337970 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Battery choices?
I use Sears DieHard. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
08 Dec 2009 07:34 #338067 by fixer5000
Replied by fixer5000 on topic Battery choices?
my last wal mart battery lasted 7 years !! i was shocked by this too....

1978 kz650b pretty much stock
\\\\\\\" get there fast but arrive alive \\\\\\\"
massachusetts

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
08 Dec 2009 08:30 #338081 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Battery choices?
If I get two years out of a walmart battery I am happy.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
08 Dec 2009 09:13 #338094 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Battery choices?
Don't try the ones from Pepboys. I think they are called ProStart or something like that. I bought one, dry. Kept it in the box for a year, dry, then installed it. It went belly up in a few weeks, but of course the warranty was long over by then. It seemed like something let loose inside and shorted.

I thought maybe it was just a fluke, so I bought another one. That one died after 2 months. Warranty was only 30 days.

I'm sure I've used them before and got at least a couple years out of them (they're only like $20), but now I've had nothing but bad luck with them.

I went to a Kaw dealer after that.

More
08 Dec 2009 14:26 #338123 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Battery choices?
I've done a lot of batterys over the years and you're still better off staying with a Yuasa battery whether it conventional or maintenence free. There are a few things about cheap batterys that always bugged me.
#1. The breather port is "always" just a little smaller diameter on cheap batterys so you go to reuse your existing tube on the motorcycle it is too big and won't stay on. Sure they give you a new chinese tube all rolled up in a 3" ball. I don't feel the need to unroll a 3" ball of chinese rubber tube and reroutt it in place of the existing hose.
#2. The screws are "always" too short, so you go to install it the reach of the terminal screw is too short to reach the nut after the cables are in place so get ready to pick around with a screwdriver to try to get the nut up a little to get the bolt threaded.
These 2 pet peaves are enough right there to steer me off Walmart batterys on top of the "fact" if you put a walmart battery in full charge right next to a Yuasa, the Yuasa will crank faster and longer, on top of lasting much longer, 2 to 3 times longer usually.
Of course battery life can not be accurately forecast for any battery, and many Yuasa are now made in China, but China Yuasa does not have the #1-#2 pet peaves and have worked fine for me. Just my experience over the last 30 years anyways. :)

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
08 Dec 2009 16:24 #338136 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Battery choices?
:laugh: Yeah. I have a collection of those small tubes taped into a ball and a bunch of battery screws I can't use too. :laugh: