Signal Relay Question

More
03 Dec 2009 23:13 - 03 Dec 2009 23:13 #337403 by zrexerik
Signal Relay Question was created by zrexerik
[img] Let me start with this, I'm not an electrical guru. I have an '81 GPz550 that I've been modifying to use Zephyr 550 carbs. The change in carbs has required several other changes. The Zephyr carbs have a cable operated choke so I put a set of Zephyr switch pods on the bars. I also wired up spare connectors to match the GPz wiring harness. I've tested all functions on both switch pods and the only issue I have is with the emergency flashers. The Zephyr has a button for emergency flashers while the GPz did not. The turn signals flash at a normal rate, but when I activate the emergency flashers all the signals flash rapidly. I assume the relay cannot handle doubling the load. The Zephyr wiring diagram shows a three wire relay while the GPz uses a two wire relay. So is this a simple matter of buying a different two wire relay or do I buy a three wire relay and figure out how to wire it into the wiring harness? Here's a picture of the bike:[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/zrexerik/Nikon_11-23-2009_4-08-04_PM.jpg[/img]

With more pictures here:
picasaweb.google.com/zrexerik/1981GPz550#
Last edit: 03 Dec 2009 23:13 by zrexerik.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Dec 2009 04:13 - 04 Dec 2009 04:14 #337426 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Signal Relay Question
I would try an electronic flasher with 2 pins. They are usually marked "heavy duty" or something similar. Just make sure they say they are load independent.

At least you have a qualified mechanic on the job for the heavy motor work. ;)
Last edit: 04 Dec 2009 04:14 by loudhvx.

More
04 Dec 2009 15:45 - 04 Dec 2009 15:46 #337524 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Signal Relay Question
zrexerik wrote:

The turn signals flash at a normal rate, but when I activate the emergency flashers all the signals flash rapidly. I assume the relay cannot handle doubling the load.

That is a metallic flasher and the flash rate is proportional to current draw. That's why they don't flash with an LED (too little current).

zrexerik wrote:

The Zephyr wiring diagram shows a three wire relay while the GPz uses a two wire relay. So is this a simple matter of buying a different two wire relay or do I buy a three wire relay and figure out how to wire it into the wiring harness?

I believe that's correct.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 04 Dec 2009 15:46 by bountyhunter.

More
06 Dec 2009 22:40 #337881 by zrexerik
Replied by zrexerik on topic Signal Relay Question
Thanks for the help. Went with the easy option first.

I bought a 2 pin relay labeled for hazards and turn signals. Nothing about load independent on the package, but since it said it was for hazards AND turn signals I guessed that it must be load independent.

Installed and problem solved.

More
07 Dec 2009 08:26 #337915 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Signal Relay Question
Cool. Nothing like keeping it simple. :)