Low Voltage

More
09 Nov 2009 14:07 #332411 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Low Voltage
normally the heavy grounds are hooked to rear of engine case below motor mount area B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2009 17:23 #332452 by tomsweb1
Replied by tomsweb1 on topic Low Voltage
Again, it may not be your charging issue, but that coil needs to be replaced, asap... The casing of the coils insulates the high voltage charge, keeping it from escaping to the nearest ground. Garaunteed you are not getting 100% of the potential spark those coils can put out, even though the primary coils are taking the same amount of power. Extremely inefficient... I'm very surprised that she's still running on all four.

Since you need to replace the coil anyway, give it a shot, it may just fix your problem.

1978 CB400A Hondamatic
1983 CB550SC Nighthawk
1978 CB750A Hondamatic
1982 KZ1300

More
09 Nov 2009 20:03 - 09 Nov 2009 20:04 #332525 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Low Voltage
Hate to say this, but everytime I've dealt with really goofy electrical problems, especially charging problems, that seemed to come and go with the wind, it was due to using dielectric grease on the connectors.

Dielectric grease is an insulator and with heat and vibration, it wicks into the metal contacts in the connectors. It can make two wires that appear to be connected have a very high resistance or even prevent connection completely. I know it doesn't seem like it can, intuitively, but I've re-wired many bikes just for this reason. It was the only remedy to cure the crazy symptoms. It's also less time consuming to re-wire than trouble shoot every circuit on the bike over and over.

However, your cracked coil is a different issue. One possible cause is leaving the ignition on without the bike running. The Dyna III and Dyna S power up the coils anytime the ignition is powered on, not just when the bike is running (as in the stock electronic ignition).
This does also happen with age in normal use too, as Plummen suggests.
Last edit: 09 Nov 2009 20:04 by loudhvx.

More
09 Nov 2009 20:52 #332542 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Low Voltage
ssalyer wrote:

Ok, here's my question... The coil gets a short in a winding. This causes the coil to heat and crack. The coil is still working at least marginally because It's firing on all 4. It is still getting hot because of the short. Could the coil be pulling too much current?

I think it would be impossible for acoil to pull enough current to eat up the total output of a healthy alternator/regulator because if that much current went through such a small device, it would literally melt.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
09 Nov 2009 20:54 #332543 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Low Voltage
loudhvx wrote:

Hate to say this, but everytime I've dealt with really goofy electrical problems, especially charging problems, that seemed to come and go with the wind, it was due to using dielectric grease on the connectors.

I'm not a fan of greasing up connections either. I realize car makers did use it in tail light sockets but I don't use it.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
09 Nov 2009 20:58 #332545 by morningwood
Replied by morningwood on topic Low Voltage
loudhvx wrote:

Dielectric grease is an insulator and with heat and vibration, it wicks into the metal contacts in the connectors. It can make two wires that appear to be connected have a very high resistance or even prevent connection completely. I know it doesn't seem like it can, intuitively, but I've re-wired many bikes just for this reason. It was the only remedy to cure the crazy symptoms. It's also less time consuming to re-wire than trouble shoot every circuit on the bike over and over.

However, your cracked coil is a different issue. One possible cause is leaving the ignition on without the bike running. The Dyna III and Dyna S power up the coils anytime the ignition is powered on, not just when the bike is running (as in the stock electronic ignition).
This does also happen with age in normal use too, as Plummen suggests.

thank you for posting this info. another member here used to preached using dielectric grease on connections. he knew even less about electrics then carbs.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
10 Nov 2009 03:41 - 10 Nov 2009 04:09 #332572 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Low Voltage
ssalyer wrote:

Tek, Every inch of wire on this bike is 2 months old. All the connections are from Vintage Connections using their crimping tool. Every connection was put together with di-electric grease. I'm confident that the wiring is good. BUT, I will continue to check and recheck the connections.

I'm going to run a ground strap directly to the motor. Seems like that should be done

Once again thanks for the input.

EXCELLENT! A man after my own heart.

Replace that coil(s)! Good luck!

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Nov 2009 04:09 by TeK9iNe.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
10 Nov 2009 04:05 #332573 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Low Voltage
Well if you don't like the non-conductive stuff, then use a conductive product: Electrically conductive assembly grease :laugh: But seriously, don't in multi-connections. Thats why theres dielectric.

I have experienced some intermittent problems with wiring where people used goobs of dielec grease in poorly physically mated connections. However, a properly fitted (tight) physical connection with a dab of dielec on there usually proves little more electrical resistance then the wire itself. Measured, it is usually less than .01 ohms.

Just make sure to do vigorous conductive wiggle testing! :laugh: It's the true mark of a professional!:silly:

Cheers! B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
11 Nov 2009 05:44 #332789 by PLUMMEN
arai59 wrote:

Restroom poetry.....this from high school...

Here I sit all in vapor.
Just ran out of toilet paper.
Bell is ringing, no time to linger.
Look out asshole, here come the finger.:laugh:

Any of your grounds coming from a rubber mounted service ? Like battery box ?

craigy was in the next stall and toldhim to use a dollar,so he did.2 quarters,2 dimes and a nickel! :woohoo:

More
11 Nov 2009 06:05 - 11 Nov 2009 06:06 #332793 by arai59
Replied by arai59 on topic Low Voltage
PLUMMEN wrote:

arai59 wrote:

Restroom poetry.....this from high school...

Here I sit all in vapor.
Just ran out of toilet paper.
Bell is ringing, no time to linger.
Look out asshole, here come the finger.:laugh:

Any of your grounds coming from a rubber mounted service ? Like battery box ?

craigy was in the next stall and toldhim to use a dollar,so he did.2 quarters,2 dimes and a nickel! :woohoo:

Yep.....got it out of pops coin collection.:laugh: Speaking of bathrooms........have you had your nose into a crapper lately ? I know your a hands on guy and the squishy turd is a daily enjoyment for you.:laugh:
Last edit: 11 Nov 2009 06:06 by arai59.

More
11 Nov 2009 06:08 #332794 by PLUMMEN
nope off to do a water heater,but everytime i work on a toilet i think of you! :kiss: :woohoo:

• jjdwoodman
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
More
20 Nov 2009 04:16 #334801 by jjdwoodman
Replied by jjdwoodman on topic Low Voltage
Seems to me if you had any draw in that system that would over come a good charging system you would find it very quickly from the temp of the wire, including coil primaries.

That leaves you with a bad charge system. If the stator is putting out enough current under load, you're down to the rr. Since that's new twice, either you're burning them up or there's a problem with the reference voltage, which means clean that connection, measure the resistance, and double check the ground.

I know this sounds stupid and redundant, but why I'm saying is don't freak out. Just take your time, start at the top and work your way down ONE time, eliminating every step. If you do, you will fix the problem.

77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager